Fuck yeah!

I just got the job of “Duty Driver”. It basically means that if someone has to be driven somewhere, I drive them. However, I’ve heard that I don’t drive much and I get to sit around most of the day. Not only that, but I also get 2 days off for everyday I work (I basically get a weekend off every other day). I also get times that people are working so I can do more things since they’ll emptier. Best of all, no “firewatch” (you walk around a building for many hours). I have it for 2 weeks to since then my school picks up and then no firewatch and the count home begins. Finally some luck around here. I’ll be working 4 days in the next 2 weeks! The only bad thing is that each work day is 24 hours straight.:frowning:

Whoo. Driving people around is always fun. Although you’re automatically the designated driver, which kinda sucks.

Well, a full 24-hour workday is a small price to pay for a full weekend off every day you work in the military1 Go you!

Lucky you! I agree with Val, its worth the 24 hour shift! Just dont get sleepy while you’re driving and crash, now.:slight_smile:

Well, do you get paid for 24 hour shifts?

HoHoHo! Infonick is reduced to a fancy taxi driver. coff

Originally posted by Cala
Whoo. Driving people around is always fun. Although you’re automatically the designated driver, which kinda sucks.

Well, I’ll only really be taking them to places on base for work reasons so there won’t be any drinking and I won’t have to stay at the place.

Well, do you get paid for 24 hour shifts?

Like all work in the military, pay is solely based on rank. I don’t get paid for it. However, I do get out of PT (think PE, but harder) and working parties (stupid jobs for a day). No matter how much you work a month, your salary is always the same in the military, which works and hurts you. On one hand, even on your time off, you are getting paid, however, sometimes you work very LONG days and it hurts you, so it evens out. So I’m not really paid to drive people.

Hoorj for Ynfonyck

Crazy Taxi anyone? hehe

Everything has its downsides, but that’s not too bad. Definetly.

Originally posted by Sinistral
Everything has its downsides, but that’s not too bad. Definetly.

True. The downsides are that they have a box in the vehicle that monitors everything I do (like speed), so I have to go the speed limit at all times which is annoying. Also, the Staff Sergeant I work for makes me do lots of work when I’m not driving. Also, I usually just work from 0900 to 1730 and I’m on standby if you will the rest of the time and after 2200 I don’t have much to worry about on weekdays since everyone is pretty much asleep and won’t get into any trouble and all places will be closed. Another bonus is that most places close when I get off so I don’t have to drive to as many places. Not too bad at all.

Lucky. Getting paid to drive…

Infonick, are you an E-2? And out of curiosity does this count as part of your two year tour of duty? (Half of the four year enlistment term)

Originally posted by Thomas Paxton
Infonick, are you an E-2? And out of curiosity does this count as part of your two year tour of duty? (Half of the four year enlistment term)

Yes, I’m an E2, soon to be E3. And…um…no? Tour of duty? WTF are you talking about? I’m was a reserve (I’ve been activated for a year) so I have a 6 year contract (about to finish 1 year). Duty driver is just a job I’m doing while at school. 2 year tour? What the hell are you talking about? Active duty does a year over seas, but not 2.

I found a another downfall to the job. The Staff Sergeant I work for is a dick. My friend who is a duty driver asked for cleaning materials to help keep the van we drive clean, the Staff Sergeant took that as the Van being filthy and called me into to do bullshit work. I guess part of it is my fault since I told my friend to clean the van if he had any down time where the Staff Sergeant wasn’t making him do bullshit work.

A nice job…only problem is that you can’t really sleep much.

But anyway, good for you, it’s nice to see someone in the military get a lucky break.

Originally posted by Igatona
A nice job…only problem is that you can’t really sleep much.

Quite the contrary. I do most of my driving the work hours and after work hours I just have to stay on base be easy to get ahold of. Yesterday I got off around 1730 and played Zelda: Wind Waker and Enter the Matrix until lights out (2200) and then slept lightly in case the call came. In fact, I haven’t taken a nap yet and I’m still plenty awake.

I’m sorry, my knowledge on how the marine corps works is limited to my conversations with a recruiter. From my understanding, normal enlistment papers are four years. Originally you get your job and you must do that for at least two years. After that is up you have an option to stay the same, or do a two year recruiting, drill sergeant, infantry, or other term to finish out the enlistment (You have to be an E-5 for some of those)

Overall doesn’t sound like a bad job. How’d you land it? Did someone recommend you or was it just a random draw?

Originally posted by Thomas Paxton
[b]I’m sorry, my knowledge on how the marine corps works is limited to my conversations with a recruiter. From my understanding, normal enlistment papers are four years. Originally you get your job and you must do that for at least two years. After that is up you have an option to stay the same, or do a two year recruiting, drill sergeant, infantry, or other term to finish out the enlistment (You have to be an E-5 for some of those)

Overall doesn’t sound like a bad job. How’d you land it? Did someone recommend you or was it just a random draw? [/b]

That part is right, it is just the way that you were saying it that was wrong/confusing. They needed a volunteer so I did since I had heard it was pretty easy and cool (I think that it was before the Staff Sergeant took over).