From the people who brought you the Hitler action figure...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6955249.stm

This is really quite special, tragic, and soul-destroying all at once.

…so? How many thousand WW2 games are out there where you bomb the shit out of the Axis powers?

Haha I’m actually supposed to play a game of Axis and Allies tonight.

I detect nothing of tragedy about this event.

I wish I could find a couple of people to play that with. It’s the one board game I really want to try out. =/

If that makes you feel any better I’ve won in Risk with the Bolivarian South America and the world’s still turning.

P.S. I also beat Dungeon Keeper :stuck_out_tongue:

what hitler action figure? I want one!

Hitler action figure?

That’s like the coolest thing since… since… the Han Solo action figure!

http://www.anomalies-unlimited.com/OddPics/Hitler.html

Wondered when that subject would come up. In other news, one of my main beefs with the board games is that, ironically, you can buy them in the UK but not in Germany.

Yeah, well, Germany tends to downplay anything involving the whole nazi thing, you know? I admit to bein curious about what the school curriculum teaches them about nazis and WWII.

Do you want the UK to ban the boardgames too?

Brian and Stewie are on a German tour bus.)
German Tour Guide: You vill find more on Germany’s contributions to ze arts in ze pamphlets ve have provided.
Brian : Yeah, about your pamphlet… uh, I’m not seeing anything about German history between 1939 and 1945. There’s just a big gap.
Tour guide: Everyone vas on vacation. On your left is Munich’s first city hall, erected in 15…
Brian : Wait, what are you talking about? Germany invaded Poland in 1939 and…
Tour Guide: We were invited. Punch vas served. Check vit Poland.
Brian : You can’t just ignore those years. Thomas Mann fled to America because of Nazism’s stranglehold on Germany.
Tour guide: Nope, nope. He left to manage a Dairy Queen.
Brian : A Dairy Queen? That’s preposterous.
Tour guide: I vill hear no more insinuations about the German people. Nothing bad happened. Sie werden sich hinsetzen. Sie werden ruhig sein. Sie werden nicht beleidigen Deutschland. You will sit down. You will shut up. You will not insult Germany. (Throws his hand up in a Hitler salute.)
Brian : Uh, is that a beer hall?
Tour guide: (Snapping out of it) Oh yes, Munich is renowned for its historic beer halls.

My school had a half-German curriculum -history was after the Greek system-. Plenty of German literature deals either with the Nazis or the social phenomena that allowed/ foretold their rise to power. We read books and articles and held discussions; in my experience Germans seem to have the best grasp of the situation.

It is a bit unfair to say they downplay that era when it’s a pivotal event both in their society and the way they are perceived by others.

A few random points: Your and my (grand) grandparents still carry the laurels of WW2. The children of the Nazi generation had to deal with the other side of the coin. I can see how they don’t want to be defined by something their ancestors did but I can tell you, the responsibility is still there. Showcased by the silence that follows the word “Nazi” (at least by a foreigner).

Imagine that in the recent World Cup the media reported on how people could celebrate and wave flags without the suspicion of nationalism. After 60 fucking years!

In general they seem to be as cool as people from other parts of the world. Of course there are generalisations there and DT is more qualified to answer.