Firefox extension beta testing.

It keeps it in memory, like I said. That’s the main problem with it. If memory is an issue for you and you do a lot of navigating, you may have to restart your browser to free it up. If that’s too much of a pain, then you don’t have to test it. :sunglasses: It doesn’t write anything to disk.

I guess I won’t be testing it then, I do a lot of browsing, and generally have 9+ tabs at once, and can’t be arsed to find all the URLs I’ve been to.
Sorry for taking up your time :stuck_out_tongue:

I find it very helpful (one of the reasons why I’m finally starting to put IE on the path to extinction and use Firefox instead), although that memory thing would explain why mt computer starts to chug after a while :stuck_out_tongue:

any way to get the memory usage trimmed down? I updated recently btw.

I also haven’t had any bugs since updating, and only one or two when I first installed it.

One thing I noticed is that it doesn’t archive previous pages once you’ve navigated away from it via a search toolbar. Like, I installed one for a WoW site and once I typed some info in, there was nothing I could go “back” to.

This might be a fault of the searchbar, since I think I also lost everything via the regular Back button, but maybe you want to test this for things like the Google bar?

I just did some testing myself, and this time Histree kept all the data, even with that WoW bar. So maybe it was a one-time thing, but could still use some investigation on your part? Dunno.

So essentially you’ve made an extension to make the bf cache an even bigger memory hog than it already is. I saw massive improvements in memory usage and overall usability after disabling the bf cache completely.

The extension isn’t really meant to be widely used. Its purpose is solely for a study into usability. I could certainly cut down on the memory by storing the info on disk rather than in memory (although that might slow things down a tad, it probably wouldn’t be too bad) but it’d take far too much work to justify it. ^^; I could also just deal with URLs rather than full pages, but that would remove the fast loading, which I really want, and it would also be impossible to deal with framesets.

Like I said, this is really just something I’d like people to test; I don’t expect anyone to install it permanently.

Merl: A previous version of Histree had a nasty bug in it that did that… hopefully most of the really bad ones have been fixed by now, but you never know. ^^;