Finally finished Xenogears...

No, actually Deus is equipped with such an attack. Check the Xenogears shrine. My levels were actually quite high (not that it matters much in the mechs; almost are your stats are based on equipment, hence my comment about the two systems not meshing).

Yes, by the end of the game everything fit together, but the means of getting there was so sloppily executed I didn’t feel anything for any of the characters. If I’m supposed to truly care about the plight of these characters, they should have thought of a better way of executing the story. By the end when I was saving Nisan (I think… could be another city) from a giant wheel that takes 1 hit to kill, I was laughing at the absurdity of the plot rather than enjoying the depth.

• Matt

Maybe you just didn’t get it. Which is entirely possible, but whatever.

The thing about the last boss - you’re supposed to take out a few of those little orb things around Deus to make the fight against Deus easier. Did you do that? Because I know what move you’re talking about, but by killing one or two of these guys that attack should be radically reduced.

Why would they cut funds to a game that had less than a year in production left? It makes no sense, the game is still in the prime stages of being created. And further more, how does anything that you’ve said prove anything?

You said that Xenogears was released in 1998, and FF7 in 1997. Assuming your information is correct, then they would have cut support from Xenogears over a year before it’s release, if it were t have any affect on the development of FF7. And nothing I have said proves anything :wink:

Of course, cutting the support wasn’t the only reason for the game to seem sloppily done… the project was far to ambitious to begin with. They couldn’t have done it justice, even if it hadn’t had support cut.

No, actually Deus is equipped with such an attack. Check the Xenogears shrine.

He is? I never saw it. He must use it… infrequently, heh.

By the way, I beat Deus very easily, and I didn’t kill any of the four orbs around it.

Here is the strategy that I eventually devised for defeating Deus:

1. Kill as many orbs as possible using all my gears minus the three strongest (that was Xenogears, Bart’s and Citan’s if I remember correctly). I think the most I ever managed to kill was 3.

2. Scrap the orb-trashed gears to get the three top ones to their peak.

3. Hit Deus with those three.

I took me many tries to beat him because every time I got him even close to dead, he’d hit me with his 10000+ attack.

I feel I understood Xenogears just fine, and I find it odd that fans of the game usually want me to believe that I don’t. Believe me. I played the whole thing. I comprehended the entire thing. I just really didn’t like it that much (If it makes you feel better, I tend to be the minority opinion wherever I go).

• Matt

Out of curiosity, what level were your characters? I played the game straight through, no messing around, and I was at about 65-68.

Mine were from level 64-70. 64 was, of course, Chu-Chu :wink:

Oh, and I’m not entirely sure how it effects things, but the level of your character DOES effect Gear battles.

Sorry, I wish I could remember what my levels were. I bought the game and played it through once (and only once) five-six years ago when it came out. I honestly don’t remember.

That’s interesting to know that your characters effect gear battles. I had thought that all their stats were determined by frame type, weapons, armor, etc.

• Matt

Yeah, I was surprised as well. You’d have to ask the people at Gamefaqs for details, but I think that the speed/agility type stats, and the magic related ones are the ones effected by level. I don’t think that levels effect any of the strength type stats, but I may be wrong.

I certainly didn’t study the stuff :wink:

Oh, and the accessories that your characters are wearing while inside the gears effect Gear battle. For instance, if you’re wearing Speed Shoes, which double your speed, then your speed during Gear battles will be doubled too.

Someone got the story right but garbled: the second disc of XG was rushed so the funding could go to FF8, not FF7. But I also agree that the scope of XG was just a bit too large for a single game, in any case.

My personal thoughts about XG: I think it’s a great game in theory, and I’m definitely glad I played it, but I can’t say I enjoyed it very much. Maybe if they had spent more time doing it it’d have been a better experience, but there were many areas that really just felt tacked on (such as the godawful menu system, the lack of text speed, the fairly corny translation, etc.). Xenosaga Episode I was far more enjoyable to my mind, so I’m optimistic about the future.

It isn’t quite two battle-systems. More like two control methods for the different kinds of characters. I have had some battles where some characters were on foot while the others were geared. At the higher levels you will find your characters are able to knock out “gear-type” opponents on foot. I love those Infinity Deathblows.