Final Fantasy X-2

In FF7 they have pretty different stats and are inclined towards certain abilities and roles, much like FF6. by the end of the game they are pretty similar, much like FF6. Even then, that is one less, most of the FFs still have very similar characters. In FF6 I was able to ahve all of teh characetrs attack. It wasn’t like FF4 where Rosa and Rydia did significantly less damage than the others and relied on their abilities. For the msot aprt, abilities are fairly negligible and their stats are pretty similar. However, I do see what you mean with armor and weapons and stuff like that. Alright, take that one out, but then that is FF1,FF4, FF6, and FF9 with different characters, still less than 50%.

BUT ITS WRONG!!!

Huh? Since when were FF7’s characters distinct? Besides gender exclusive armor, weapons (especially final weapons) and Limit Breaks, the only character that is pressed into a certain role (Aeris as a healer/mage) has…complications later, if you get what I mean. Aside from these three factors all the characters become the same.

In FF6, Espers and Merit Badges erased much of a character’s individuality, but there still are factors such as abilities (along with Gogo and Umaro) that made dinstinctions between characters. In FF7, any party goes…the only thing that matters is if you’re using Vincent and/or Cait Sith’s Limit Breaks and the different final weapons (Death Penalty and Prenium Heart suck).

I’d just like to say that FF7 crushes FF1-6 in the story, plot, and gameplay departments, and I’m tired of seeing it’s success attributed to it’s beautifully rendered graphics.

I’m also tired of seeing it’s graphics at the heart of almost every bad opinion of the game. Give the artists the respect they deserve, give the programmers the respect they deserve.

FF7 isn’t a shitty KH-esque fanboy game that’s only popular because Square’s logo is on it. A lot of work was put into it and it’s definately one of the better games out there. It’s a shame we have to listen to people like Jango and Gilgamesh throw tantrums about how their precious classic RPGs are being defiled by the new generation of Square-venerating graphic-whores (who have clearly never played any other game EVER since the beginning of time if they think FF7 could maybe possibly be a good game.).

I’ll just leave it at that for now.

I don’t like FFVII because of people harping it to be the best FF ever. And most of them base it upon that it “got them into the FF/RPG games,” and the reason most of them got it was the “oooooh, pretty graphics.” I’m not going to say they’re bad, and they were very good for their time, but other than that, the game sucks. I, like TD (oh shit, agreeing with TD, something’s wrong with the world), didn’t play beyond the first disc, but I didn’t like even that part of it. It’s a sheer hatred of everyone claiming it to be the best.

Its story isn’t anything spectacular (I myself prefer FFX/T in this case), the graphics were great for the times (which have since been surpassed, but does anyone else remember going “OOOOOOH” and “AAAAAH” at FFVI’s Mode 7?), the music is… eh (never paid attention to it), and gameplay can’t be commented on, although it sounds to be the suck.

As far as it “crushing” FFI-VI in story, plot, and gameplay… Of course FFI loses to that because of how old it is, but for the time, it was (and still is!) damn good. FFII, III, and V can’t be commented on by myself. FFIV was quite good in all three departments IMO (only certain people could have some magic (SPOONY BARD!!!), although you always had a fixed party). FFVI was one of the best FFs IMO… Big cast, lots of diversity, lots of different character portraits, graphics were good (MODE 7), Kefka, Ultros, Sabin (end of the world ain’t stopping him!) all starred in it.

So while not saying FFVII is a horrible game, it’s not the best.

See children? This is exactly what Mr. Hades was talking about.

That is, associating FF7 with the people who play it, and since they’re the general public (in other words, mindless drones who don’t have a personality because you’ve never talked to them), we can make generalizations about them being graphic-whores (or, mindless harpers of it being the best game ever simply because it looked totally sweet. Intelligent Qube had better graphics than FF7. Why didn’t it sell as much?).

And while I agree that FFX was better than VII, FFVI doesn’t come close in any area but nostalgia.

Uhhh for my opinion which may or may not count…
FFIV is my all-time favorite.
I also enjoyed VII and very much VIII.
I loved X because of the story, and the battle system in X-2 amazed me but the game can be annoying, the mini-games are too stupid to be plot-integral, and I SERIOUSLY PITY anyone who didn’t pick up a game guide with that one because if you didn’t you’re screwed.
The multiple ending bothers me and takes a lot of the fun out of the game.

On another note, FFXII looks like it’s going to suck, and I can’t wait for Advent Children to be released.

Hades, not playing the game has led me to base it a lot off of what I’ve seen and heard from those who have, and I’ve heard very little outside of “OGM FFIVI IZ TEH R0XX0RZ!!!”

Not as far as story and plot goes, FFI gives you the practically the entire plot off the start and it barely develops at all. It’s only good for it’s time since back in NES days very few games actually had plots (or at least plots that couldn’t be summed up in 3 words (Beat the game!)), and the plots were mediocre at best in almost all of those.

Then go read SK’s review of it. He knows what time it is.

That’s why I said it was good for the time.

But it wasn’t even good for it’s time. Being better than something that sucks doesn’t necessarily make it good.

When compared to the rest of the games it makes it good.

No it doesn’t. The plots of NES games weren’t limited by hardware, so there’s no excuse for having a shitty plot aside from it not really being the thing to do back then.

Ah, I give up. Y’all can claim victoly or whatnot. Never was too good at arguing.

Kind of true. I’ve played NES RPGS that were released before FF (Little Ninja Brothers, Dragon Warrior) that had more story, but they did have less game time.

NOOO< THAT R NIEC TING!!!111 IT NO GUDZ!!!Lol!

<<;

I like FFX-2 :smiley:
Too bad the person I’m shrining with is NEVER FUCKING ONLINE :smiley:

I said that they were mostly negligible in FF6. The only ones that were really different were Gogo and Umaro. Like I said, in FF7 they had tendencies towards a certain role. Like Red, Aeris, and Cait Sith did as much as say Cloud, Tifa, and Barret. Red was mroe prone to magic (especially black and status), Aeris to white, and Cait Sith to status. The same as FF6. Besides, I said ou could take out FF6 of my grouping if you want and my point is still valid about characters being the same for the most part in FF games. Also, when compared to games like FF9 and FF4, the characters in FF6 are extremely similar. You say that limits are the only distinction between FF7 characters, well one ability is the onyl real distinction between FF6 characters, Umaro and Gogo excluded.

Thats a complete fallacy. FF2 is an exception due to the lack of levelling up so it’s hard to differentiate between characters. FF5 has an excuse as does X-2 for the class system. Although both are capable of creating differences between characters because Bartz is predispositioned towards the warrior classes, as Faris is towards the Theif etc. classes and so on and so forth. And Paine is best as one of the warrior classes, Yuna is neutral and Rikku is best with the faster classes. There’s at least a difference in base stats in FF5 and X-2 that is enough to make a difference. But FF6 and 10 are both incredibly diverse with characters. The only similarities is that in FF6 you can teach all characters magic. But you can’t give them all the base abilities of another character, save for GoGo. And in FFX no matter what you do Auron will always be slower then Tidus. Believe it or not with both characters at max speed Tidus still gets more turns per battle then Auron. The reason FF7 has no character difference is because every character starts at similar stats when unequipped of all Materia. The Materia system ruins all originality since you’re able to teach all characters absolutely anything. Any character can learn any ability with ease, multiple steal materias, throw, E. Skill are all easily obtained and it takes all interest out of the battle system. Hell, the characters with Long Range weapons aren’t even important since there’s a Long Range materia.

You’re looking for differences in the entirely wrong place.