Final Fantasy Tactics:the remake

As I posted in the other thread, FF7 Crisis Core is also coming out for the PSP.
And I will also reiterate my complete disagreement with Hades and Sorcerer re how bad a game FFT is. Gameplay-wise I find myself able to play it far more often and longer than many of its ilk. It’s relatively simple but challenging (provided you don’t use the many system-breaking combinations possible).

I have abusing FFT down to an art. Finished it at level 35 a couple months ago.

Don’t pay attention to Hades; he is just bitter because he couldn’t figure out how the game worked (figuring out when a spell was being cast, what classes and characters to not use - like Agrias and Mustadio). Although when you think about it, it is understadable how frustrating the game could be under those circumstances.

I loved mustadio. His sniping skillz got me out of many a scrape.

It misses too often >_>;. I prerfer having a couple summoner/calculators and a couple ninjas.

Sin, once you’ve decided someone did something, you don’t change your mind no matter how many times they point out that you’re wrong, do you? I never used Mustadio other than for his compulsory battles, get that thought out of your head.

What pissed me off about FFT was that it outright lies to you, and that it’s impossible to create a strategy and follow through with it because of that. It pissed me off that every battle was a grope in the dark. You tried things and if they worked, they worked, but there was no way to predict beforehand how effective they’d be. It wasn’t strategy, it was a very long, very tedious trial-and-error process. I don’t know what game you were playing, but it’s a joke to say FFT was accurate in predicting damage, accuracy, and the order of events. You’re not completely blind, you usually have some general idea of what to use and when things will happen, but it’s impossible to be meticulous, and more often than not your plans will fail and you’ll end up in improv mode. There was nothing to be confused at. The damage and accuracy readings were inaccurate, and that was beyond my control. It isn’t my <i>opinion</i> that 200 damage isn’t 40 damage. It was the game fucking up. It’s not hard to understand this.

And BTW, not everyone gets 2 Sword +AT Ninjas and Summoner Calculators in act one, and for those of us who don’t, it is very hard to find a character that does more damage faster and more consistently than Agrias for most of the game. You can deny it, but denial won’t change the game.

And on that note, one-shotting everything on the screen in one move makes me wonder just how often you needed to pay attention to strategy.

And since I know you’re going to bring this up, I wasn’t using flails. I didn’t even know FFT had flails before today.

I played through enough times to know the damage and accuracy ratings were the vast majority of the time. Since I finished the game over 8 times and you didn’t finish it once many years ago, I’d say my information is more reliable than you.

What other weapons than flails give random damage? I don’t remember using much other than those that led to that effect.

And Agrias SUCKS.

And I didn’t get 2 ninjas and 2 summoner calculators in act 1 :P.

And I didn’t get 2 ninjas and 2 summoner calculators in act 1 :P.
I didn’t say that.

I disagree with the vast majority thing. They weren’t always wrong, but only being right 60% of the time in a tactics RPG just doesn’t cut it.

Agrias was doing the same damage as everyone else on my team except Ramza, with 100% accuracy and very good range, both vertical and lateral. I can understand how she sucks if you pick her up when you’re at level 30 and she’s still at 10, but if you play the game normally she’s one of the better characters by far, and she’s potentially much better than Ramza himself.

What makes you think the last time I played was years ago? I’ve played it a few times and logged over a hundred hours easily. I didn’t get half way through, once, and then never touch it again. I’m more than well aware of how the system works. I just don’t approve of said system.

I think axes did, but it wasn’t as extreme.

Yeah I never used axes.

And no the game is very accurate in what damage you’ll be doing to people. You’re providing no consistent information. The only thing you’re doing is throwing around random numbers and making baseless statements like “your character is level 30 and she is 10” and exagerations. My characters are underleveled for almost the entire game.

Even on a normal play through agrias sucks. You don’t need such an abnormal play through to get mages that have fire 2 or 3 or a summoner or 2 with ifrit. You’re bitching the game is demanding and you need to do all these crazy things. No you don’t. Look at the AT list before casting a non instant spell and don’t pick classes and characters that suck so you won’t do shit damage.

Doing more damage than agrias is very very easy. Get a ninja or a summoner. Ninjas are easier to get than summoners. Agrias struggles to keep up damage wise. She has a naturally low attack power that makes her not able to compete with other people. If you give a twist headband, a powersleeve, the metal gauntlets to a dual wielding ninja, its GG because each of those items is at least +2 atp. That’s over 60% attack power right there. There’s nothing hard in that , as all it requires is you leveling up a couple class levels , which is done very fast, and going to a fucking shop :P.

You’re whining is like saying “ARRGH MY MARINES CAN’T KILL LURKERS, ITS BROKEN!!!” in starcraft.

Agrias is one of the characters people use because they like her. As a character, definitely not as a strategic piece. Like Sin said, she’s pretty crappy in comparison with most standard class combinations and using her at high levels is generally a waste unless she’s so ridiculously well equipped that her Lightning Stab can deal damage somewhere near half of Orlandu’s.

And if you didn’t even get halfway through, barring insane levelling, I seriously doubt you saw most of the best combinations and got a real hang of the system at all. Holy + Calculator, Flying Ninjas, Dancers, Ramza’s Scream, Beowulf’s Chicken, the oh-so-awesome Worker 8 and Obi Wan himself, just to list some.

And by the way, why exactly where you talking about the story of a game you never even got halfway through?

Bags? They might have been random.

Edit: They are. The random weapons are axes, hammers (flails), and bags.

Who the fuck would use a bag

I used bags until I knew better. :frowning:
(It was kinda funny to watch a Ninja whack someone with two purses.)

That’s a 100k gil ninja

The Granny-Smack Ninja :smiley: One of my favorite parody classes after Nuns with Guns.

You tried things and if they worked, they worked, but there was no way to predict beforehand how effective they’d be.

As opposed to, oh, EVERY SINGLE OTHER RPG, where this statement is true. FFT actually gives a very accurate indication of the damage, how often it’ll hit, and even the range and effect of every move. The only times the damage is not accurate is a) random weapons like flails, b) critical hits, and c) when the Zodiac sign of the target vs. attacker has an effect. I have to admit that c) is probably the most confusing until you realize it, but it is still deterministic and can be factored in when deciding your move.

By the way, I’m one of those folks who used Agrias right up until I got Orlandu. She wasn’t the best attacker (and was pretty slow) but I liked having instant damage (and chance of Stopping the target) on multiple squares with no MP cost.

I liked the skill as well but the status effects didn’t happen enough for me. If they did, I would’ve used her.

To add to what Cid is saying:

I noticed that the amount of damage you did from 1 character to another could vary by a certain amount, and the gear they’re wearing and the zodiac sign might have to do with that. However, that had nothing to do with fluctuations between what it said it would do to that character and how much was done. Even if you hit for 40 damage less on someone with a different sign, it still does around how much damage it said it was going to do on that character at that time.

The only way damage would vary from unit to unit is if you used a lot of knight swords, katanas or monks, in those cases your final damage is modified by brave. Well, then again knives, bows and ninja swords are based on the average of speed and phys attack, which is nonobvious and could vary slightly based on what jobs each unit was in when gaining exp levels. Males have significantly higher base physical attack, females have significantly higher base magical attack (neither have any random variation, the differences in class stat growth account for the only variation of pa, ma and speed within each gender).

As for the swordskills not applying their status very often, any attack that has a chance of an extra effect (most notably swordskills, geomancy and certain weapons) only trigger 20% of the time.

I’m not fond of magi in FFT. Spells take far too long to charge for very little gain over the better instant skills. I would rather have most or all of my squad at 3 faith (nor more than 50 if I’m not bothering with mediators) so as to be less vulnerable to black and summon magic and just rely on chemists and samurai for healing and samurai for AOE damage (Draw Out isn’t based on faith, and so has full effect with minimum faith). I sometimes keep a high faith character around to make into a chemist or mediator with one of the elemental guns, but that’s not as handy as it could be.

I could swear I’ve actually seen Break [Stuff] reach 40-50% when attacking from the back. And Chicken has some excellent success rate as well.

Also don’t forget that as a character leveled in a job their stats would grow based on that classes attributes. (Case and point, those fucking ninja in deep dungeon with an average of 17 speed.)

As for me Spells are generally more useful earlier in the game (Nuking Queklain/Cuchulainn with Flare in two shots makes life alot easier. Though drain basicly took over any boss nuking after Zalrea/Zalera)

But getting back on track a bit here. I’ve also heard that they’re giving it the GBA treatment (Although, I’m not sure if they’re providing a new dungeon or not yet.) They are providing new jobs like the Onion Knight (However, I still don’t feel the need, the need for [STRIKE]speed[/STRIKE] PSP remakes.):hahaha;