Final Fantasy 8 Drawing

For some reason, I’m getting shitty draws with Irvine, who is equipped with the Ifrit Guardian Force.

Is there anyway to increase the liklihood of a good draw? Like getting 8-9 or consistently instead of 1-3 consistently. Or is it random and I’ve just got crappy luck, or does it tie in to the compatability? Or is there a stat that has an effect on draws?

I believe the number of spells you draw is related to your magic stat. My Rinoa always seemed to draw nine of the most powerful spells like Ultima or Flare.

I thought it was just random, since one fight, I would draw loads, and then the next, I’d hardly get any.

Or it could be something to do with the level of magic you are drawing, since I have always drawn loads of weak spells easily, but strong spells I rarely get that many.

I think BahamutXero is right, as is HS- I mean, once (for no particular reason) I managed to draw about 15 fires… :-S

Of course, Irvine is the first to draw these spells, isn’t he? :get it?:

How many spells you draw is related to your magic stat. If the enemy you’re up against has high magic defense, of course, you’ll get less spells no matter which character you’re using.

Actually, I think it depends on a lot of things. But your level, the monster’s level, and the level of magic you’re trying to draw would be the three biggest factors I think.

and Neb . . . 15 Fires!? I would have to see THAT to believe it, that’s for sure.

EDIT: (Damn, Cid got there first :P)

Well, I haven’t played it in a while, it might have been 11 or 12 but it was still fairly high :wink:

Level and monsters level has NOTHING to do with it. At the very beginning of the game I was drawing 9 consecutive Blizzards right off the bat with Squall or Quistis, I can’t remember, whichever had the GF with the Mag Stat atuomatically learned. So yeah like others said, your Mag effects that only. I never had a problem with drawing too few spells, regardless of what it was.

EDIT: I believe you cannot draw more than 9 at a time :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t think you can get more than 9, but I could be wrong. It’s been a while for me as well :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: DAMMIT! Eva beat me to that one! (God, I’m slow)

Really? I thought drawing was level-dependent . . . oh well, magic stats make more sense anyway.

:-/ Could’ve sworn I got 11 or 12 once…

And I doubt level has much to do with it, as in FF8, the monsters level up as well as the characters:hmm:

Originally posted by Mako
[b]Actually, I think it depends on a lot of things. But your level, the monster’s level, and the level of magic you’re trying to draw would be the three biggest factors I think.

and Neb . . . 15 Fires!? I would have to see THAT to believe it, that’s for sure.

EDIT: (Damn, Cid got there first :P) [/b]
LEvels don’t matter in FF8. The only thing they’re good for is deciding how much HP Omega Weapon has, pretty much.

Neb, were you in front of a Draw point? There’s a 9-spell maximum when drawing from enemies.

It also depends on what spell you’re drawing. Stuff like Blizzard and Cure are fine at low levels (or magic stats, whatever) but if you want to Draw stronger spells you’ll need much higher stats.

I assume its the level you’re at. My other characters were at level twenty and thirty whereas my Squall was at level 99 and was getting 9 draws every time.

That’s because you also had his magic stat jacked beyond the extreme.

Hmmmm, set the magic stat as high as you can. If you want good magic with Irvine, then give Ifrit to Squall ( why the heck did you put ifrit on irvine? o_O) and give SIREN to Irvine. If you dont want to equip her to him forever, just equip her to him for a short time but make sure she has the magic bonus abilty and set it on :expressionless: That way his magic raises at least a little.
If I were you I’d put Ifrit on Squall though (or some other GF with lotsa strength and HP bonuses) so you have the best multi ev0r :smiley: