FFX-2 This sucks !

Okay, i take a bunch of my games up and trade them in for FFx-2. Okay so, i’m all happy and stuff, ya know. So i finally get home, pop in the CD, and wait 20 minutes staring at the screen as my PS2 tries reading the disk. The damn thing doesent work ! This i like, shittiest thing to happen to me all week. And we just had a ton of snow roll in, so it’ll be some time before i can take it back and exchange it. This really sucks !

Maybe try turning the PS2 on it’s side and playing it that way? Sometimes that helps. Good luck!

Is the PS2 making any weird sounds? Do any other games have problems working?

It’s called a DRE (Disc Read Error).
It’s quite common with PS2s sadly.

It only makes funny sounds when trying to read that one disk, the others it works perfect. I just need to exchange it for a non-used game. the disk has little wavy lines all over it, like someone put it in a game doctor and it fucked it up.

Originally posted by Gizamaluke
It’s called a DRE (Disc Read Error).<sub>1</sub>
It’s quite common with PS2s sadly. <sub>2</sub>

1. I think we could all figure that one out

2. Only in the first batch that came out. In the latter, they corrected the bug.

Originally posted by Xelopheris
[b]1. I think we could all figure that one out

1. Only in the first batch that came out. In the latter, they corrected the bug. [/b]

While they did fix the bug, they still get more DRE then the other consoles (Xbox coming in second with it’s DDRs, and GC doesn’t get much.)

And many of the DRE’s can be fixed with the Tape trick (Ive even had it work on a few non blue back ones)

Usually it’s the laser that seems to do it for my one. So I just use a laser cleaning disc. And the games work fine.

However if your disc has been Gam Doctored, then just kiss it good buy. I don’t believe they actually sold it to you. Most games stores won’t except discs with that sort of damage. Let alone sell them again.

My PS2 always used to get disc read errors, I tried everything including the tape method but lots of my games still wouldn’t work, so eventually I had to sent it in for repairs which cost tons. :s

Originally posted by Mitsu
My PS2 always used to get disc read errors, I tried everything including the tape method but lots of my games still wouldn’t work, so eventually I had to sent it in for repairs which cost tons. :s

Damn that sucks - When i sent my PS2 in i got a refurbished one for free =)

What is this tape trick you’re talking about ?

it does that with my FFX and FFX-2 disk…makes these funny sounds and then it freezes in scenes…i called EB games…and they told me to trade it in and they’ll give me $100…usually they’ll only give you $50 for broken ones…but i guess they like me! lol it works just fine with PS1 games…but with PS2 games it takes awhile for them to load…and it’s real finicky about what i put in it…like a dvd it will reject it…plus the PS2 game system i bought was a trade in so the former owner must’ve abused it…or had a good use of it…and thought hey its gonna break down soon better trade it in so some poor beautiful young woman can get screwed. so when i trade it in…i’m getting a new non trade in PS2

Didn’t the first generation PS2s have a lot of problems? It makes me happy that I didn’t get mine for a while :). Anyway, tough break loser.