FFTA question (is this a bug?)

Well, it depends. I was interpretting he was going to have Hunters with their subabilities being Archer ones, therefore negating any way to do really any damage to them. Now, if you had Hunters with say, Fight or Magic abilities, then it’s all good.

Eh, I’d rather just stick the hunter as a sub on a melee character. You already have plenty of characters that can hit from a range (I assume you have montblanc/a sniper (so very, very nice. especially with the moogle ultima from Mog Knight), a couple of mages, and possibly a Viera with Fencer skills (Nighthawk)). The Hunter techniques just ARE very powerful, period, and one of them (I think Sonicboom, been a while since I’ve played) does damage based on the weapons you have equipped with range. Combine that with two powerful Knightswords (another reason I like my main as Paladin, you can equip the strongest Weapon and Armour) and some movement stuff and you can pretty much kill any single enemy on the map on the first turn, except in some rare occasions.

I wish I still had my post saved with my entire FFTA party, that had some nice stuff in it.

EDIT: I’ll be damned, I found it. You might want to scroll past this if you don’t want to see how much I need to go outside. A few things in the list changed, but the general idea is still the same.

<ol><li><b>Marche:</b>
<b>Race:</b> Human
<b>Class:</b> Paladin
<b>Secondary ability:</b> Hunter
<b>Reaction ability:</b> Counter
<b>Support ability:</b> Doublesword
<b>Combo ability:</b> Paladin

<b>Weapon 1:</b> Requiem
<b>Weapon 2:</b> Excalibur2
<b>Head:</b> Bangaa Helmet
<b>Body:</b> Peytral
<b>Accessory:</b> Ninja Tabi

The Paladin can equip the strongest equipment in the game (Knightswords, helmets and armour), has the highest def of the humans, and gets Holy Sword. Hunter abilities work well with this, not just because of Ultima, but you get Sonic Boom as well. Sonic Boom is a really strong ranged attack, and if I got the math right, with my equipment that should tear enemies APART. Counter is my favourite of the “melee” reaction abilities, since it works on both normal attacks and a-ability attacks. Combos are always stronger if you have the one corresponding to your own class.

As for equipment, the Requiem and Peytal both add 1 move, 1 jump and 5 evade. Combined with the Ninja Tabi (+2 move), that’s +4 move, +2 jump and +10 evade. So that gives the paladin a move of 7, which is almost as far as gunners can shoot. Combined with Sonic Boom, and I can attack pretty much every unit on the map on turn 1. Excalibur2 just is a very strong Knightsword. Requiem and Peytral can both become stronger with leveling (every time you finish their missions, they gain +1 in their main stat (atk for Requiem, def for Peytral), so those become the strongest weapon/armour in the game. The Bangaa helmet is just the strongest helmet available, since I can’t equip the Acacia Hat (grows as well) :(.</li>

<li><b>Lini:</b>
<b>Race:</b> Moogle
<b>Class:</b> Gunner
<b>Secondary ability:</b> Mog Knight
<b>Reaction ability:</b> ???
<b>Support ability:</b> Concentrate
<b>Combo ability:</b> Gunner

<b>Weapon:</b> Calling Gun
<b>Head:</b> ???
<b>Body:</b> ???
<b>Accessory 1:</b> Feather Boots
<b>Accessory 2:</b> ???

Lini is the special mog knight that can join your clan with Ultima pre-mastered. Attach Ultima to the most powerful (59) gun in the game. Remember, guns have a range of 8 squares. That’s insane damage from across the map. When the MP for Ultima is gone, we can always go back to charmshot and stopshot. Concentrate helps improve Lini’s accuracy. I really can’t think of a good reaction ability, though. And I’m having some trouble with the equipment as well (Feather Boots is just there because I THINK it ignores height, and sniping from a high place is pretty handy.)</li>

<li><b>Generic Viera:</b>
<b>Race:</b> Viera
<b>Class:</b> Assasin
<b>Secondary ability:</b> Fencer
<b>Reaction ability:</b> Reflex
<b>Support ability:</b> Concentrate
<b>Combo ability:</b> Assasin

<b>Weapon:</b> Masamune 100
<b>Head:</b> Ribbon
<b>Body:</b> Judge Coat
<b>Accessory 1:</b> ???
<b>Accessory 2:</b> ???

Assasins get insanely good stat gains, 2 instant death skills and the Viera Ultima. This makes them HURT LIKE HELL. I just stuck Fencer skills on there because of Nighthawk, which effectively gives her a range of 4 squares with normal attacks. The weapon should speak for itself, Ribbons prevent all status ailments and the Judge Coat is argueably the best clothing in the game (high def, high mdef.) I don’t know about the accessories though, the Ninja Tabi already go to Marche, and I really don’t know what other useful things I can stick on her.</li>

<li><b>Quin or Generic Nu Mou:</b>
<b>Race:</b> Nu Mou
<b>Class:</b> Sage
<b>Secondary ability:</b> Black Mage
<b>Reaction ability:</b> Return Magic
<b>Support ability:</b> Turbo MP
<b>Combo ability:</b> Sage

<b>Weapon:</b> Sapere Aude
<b>Head:</b> Black Hat
<b>Body:</b> Black Robe
<b>Accessory 1:</b> Star Armlet
<b>Accessory 2:</b> Star Armlet

Quin is another special character, this time a Sage with Ultima already mastered. However, you get him fairly late in the game, and you can get the thing that teaches Ultima relatively early. I’m just raising a generic character until I get Quin, then will compare stats. I’m keeping the character as a black mage for most of his career, though, since they get (marginally, like, 0.4) better matk gains. Sagistic magic is pretty neat, due to having Ultima, Giga Flare, and Raise (a healing/revive spell.) And of course, Black Magic stays great for pure offensive power. Return Magic is fun to use, since my casters rarely get hit by anything other than spells. And Turbo MP makes spells kill shit fast :stuck_out_tongue:

The Sapere Aude is a staff which grows in the same way that Requiem, Peytral and the Acacia Hat do, only for matk. I’m not sure about the hat, maybe I should give the Acacia Hat to him? (I think that it gains mdef.) But it’s a pretty nice Hat otherwise, 16 mdef. The Black Robe isn’t that great, but it enhances fire, ice and lightning magic by about 30%. That makes it well worth equipping. As for the accesories, well, they’re basically the things I found that give the highest matk boost :stuck_out_tongue: If there’s anything else, feel free to suggest.</li>

<li><b>Generic Nu Mou:</b>
<b>Race:</b> Nu Mou
<b>Class:</b> White Mage
<b>Secondary ability:</b> ???
<b>Reaction ability:</b> Return Magic
<b>Support ability:</b> Turbo MP
<b>Combo ability:</b> White Mage

<b>Weapon:</b> ???
<b>Head:</b> White Hat
<b>Body:</b> White Robe
<b>Accessory 1:</b> Star Armlet
<b>Accessory 2:</b> Star Armlet

Well, this is pretty much just my healer. I really can’t think of a subclass for her, though. Maybe Time Magic? Suggestions would rock. Otherwise, same story as black mage.

I really don’t know about the weapon. Currently, she has the Dream Watcher equipped, since I can’t think of another Staff with higher matk/mdef bonuses :stuck_out_tongue: Again, suggestions. Hat is the same story as Black Mage. Although the Black Hat is stronger than the White Hat, I’m not sure if you can get more then one, and I still don’t know who to give the Acacia hat. White Robe halves all damage gotten from fire/ice/lightning. Again, same story as Black Mage.</li>

<li><b>Generic Human:</b>
<b>Race:</b> Human
<b>Class:</b> Thief
<b>Secondary ability:</b> ???
<b>Reaction ability:</b> Counter
<b>Support ability:</b> Double Sword
<b>Combo ability:</b> Thief

<b>Weapon 1:</b> Orichalcum
<b>Weapon 2:</b> Orichalcum
<b>Head:</b> Thief Hat
<b>Body:</b> Onlyone
<b>Accessory:</b> Thief Gauntlets

Basically the reason for my second playthrough :stuck_out_tongue: This guy is going to get me one copy of every item in the game… I hope. Anyway, his main trick is stealing, of course. I just can’t think of a secondary ability. Maybe Battle Skill, for Sensor (detects hidden equipment) and the weakening techniques (stealing equipment weakens the enemy, keeping with the trend…)? Or maybe just make a boring Item user out of him? Anyway, suggestions would rock. For Counter, see Marche. Counter HURTS with Double Sword, especially when you have two copies of the strongest dagger in the game equipped.

Like I just said, both daggers are really bloody strong, for when I actually have to deal damage. The Thief Hat gives some nice stuff, like extra evade and immunity against stop and disable. Onlyone is like a weaker version of the Judge Coat, and the Thief Gauntlets increase my stealing ability. Always handy.</li></ol>

Wow! Many thanks TD :slight_smile: