FF12 release... {when} ?

I’ve seen a lot about this on various game sites, but is there any concrete release date scheduled ? Furthurmore, does anyone know much about how this game is going to be played ? I know a little about the story line, but i wanna hear everything !

There is no solid release date. But it’s expected to be released in Quarter 4, there are also rumors it will be delayed to early to mid 2006.

Release date: what Jango said
Check this site:
http://ps2.gamespy.com/playstation-2/final-fantasy-xii/543903p1.html?fromint=1
Quote:

The Battle System

While the addition of a free-floating camera is huge, it pales in comparison to the changes Square’s making to the familiar Final Fantasy battle system. In short, it’s like no Final Fantasy you’ve ever seen. The classic Active Time Battle (ATB) system, which has been around since FFIV, is being replaced with the new Active Dimension Battle (ADB) system. While there are some similarities to ATB (such as the presence of the old ATB bars, which must be filled before an action can occur) FFXII is really blazing a new path for itself.

and much, much more.

Keep in mind that release dates are always subject to change, especially with games. Square-Enix has a nasty habit of missing release dates by miles unless it’s ready and they’re creating a small hype first. Any FFXI players remember Chains of Promathia? Even with the countdown, it was a few days missed because of the damn tornados.

And I expect it’ll be played to death. What the hell kind of question is that?

That’s pretty cool. The battle system looks like it might be fun. the main char looks wimpy though. at least Tidus has muscle.
Sorcerer, well, the answer i was looking for was “it will be played with a controller”.

I find that comment funny 'cause Tidus learned to swing a sword after three or so utterly weak attempts when Auron gave a sword to him. And boy, did it look futile.

(Besides, Cloud is rather skinny-looking to be carrying that big paddle of his around.)

If you knew the answer then… why’d you ask?

FF12’s been delayed so many times that I don’t even care about its release date anymore.

I have a rule about S-E Console Games for EU Localisetions about a year after the Jap Relese. So the earliest I’ll play it will be 06-07.

BN

I wouldn’t trust anything you hear about the battle system. Apparently the development team has scrapped so many different ideas because when they tested them, reviewers said it sucked. I wouldn’t be suprised if Final Fantasy XII was held over and released on the PS3.

read SOMEWHERE yesterday, release is on Dec. 1st '05…

X-Play, a good show on G4tech TV channel, said Dec. 1st, too.

I really hope they do not completely go with the new Battle system like in FF X-2. The battle system of FF X was perfectly fine.

The battle System is not like tradisional ones. FFX CTB is more of a modifcation of the ATB but made more “Tatacial” game play. (according to Battle Progammer on the intervew DVD with FFX)

From GameSpy.com:

In addition to the newfound feeling of immersion, another important aspect of the new camera system is that all battles will now occur in the very same environments you explore on foot. No more fade to black or screen shatter – the battle will occur instantaneously, wherever you happen to be in the current environment. Encounters won’t be random, either; as in FFXI, all enemies will be visible as you approach, leaving you the option to avoid combat if you so desire. Now that Final Fantasy has finally adopted this technique, might it become the CRPG norm? Quite possible, and not a moment too soon. Random encounters are so 1986.

So, combat.

The Battle System

While the addition of a free-floating camera is huge, it pales in comparison to the changes Square’s making to the familiar Final Fantasy battle system. In short, it’s like no Final Fantasy you’ve ever seen. The classic Active Time Battle (ATB) system, which has been around since FFIV, is being replaced with the new Active Dimension Battle (ADB) system. While there are some similarities to ATB (such as the presence of the old ATB bars, which must be filled before an action can occur) FFXII is really blazing a new path for itself.

Gone are the familiar columns of characters – enemies on the left, allies on the right. Your characters will now run wherever they need to attack, even splitting up if need be. Likewise, the enemies can move and pursue however they please. You’ll only control one party member at a time, issuing commands in near real-time (again, you have to wait for the character’s ATB bar to fill before anything can actually happen). Just like in FFXI, if you tell a character to attack something it will keep attacking until it gets different orders or its target dies.

Luckily, you can hop around between characters at any time, issuing them different commands as deemed necessary. However, you can’t reliably control multiple characters at once (at least not well), so that’s where gambits come in. Gambits appear to be items that can be obtained and then equipped onto a character. Each gambit will trigger different actions; one might make a character mimic the actions of the current player-controlled character, while another could make the character attack on its own initiative. Clearly, the details are still murky. It sounds like gambits will play a huge role in both how battles play out and in character customization, though.

Of course, now that battle happens in the actual game environments, you’ll need to take positioning and line of sight into account as well. For example, it’s thought that characters who fire down on enemies from above will have an attack bonus. This and many similar rules and circumstances will hopefully let FFXII make the most of its lovely new battlegrounds.

SE Hasn’t annouced an actual date yet, but has indicated the usual World wide release game stuff. Also try to Remember all game companys can release games with little or no warning as well as pull games off the shelf days before release. I think GTA:SA in the UK was delayed for 20 days dispite Lots of Promo kit with the earlier date. And X-2 was relesed a month early according to several sources. I myself was triped up by those two.

A Japanise Trailer has Spring 05. Read chistmas 05-06 US and Spring 06 UK

BN
Also lots of Info will come out at E3 which I hear is very soon.

Dear BigNutter
Sounds familiar? Ha-ha-ha. Sin’s message?
A lot of people would say, “imitation is the greatest form of flattery." …
“imitation is the sincerest form of flattery”. Please read post #3 on this thread.
Ok. I am flattered :wink:
Take care buddy.

Link to GameSpy:
http://ps2.gamespy.com/playstation-2/final-fantasy-xii/543903p1.html?fromint=1

Cheeky.

I completely forgot to post this on the “News from E3” thread.
If you din’t see it yet, FFXII trailer shown in LA last week:

http://media.ps2.gamespy.com/media/488/488222/vids_1.html
(You can compare it to two trailers released last year.)
It looks gorgeous, but I can see why some reporters, covering SE, were disappointed. No gameplay footage. And what about the famous “revolutionary” battle system?

From Gamespy:

the game won’t be playable on the show floor, and may not even be playable in Japan anytime soon (though it’s still scheduled to come out there in 2005 – here in 2006.) What we’ve seen has been beautiful, but the pull-back on new info is troubling. Last year’s playable E3 demo was over an hour long; now, nothing.

Stay tuned.