Ff Xi

It’s time for another MMORPG rant :hahaha; How do you feel about FFXI?

I might get it.

BTW, there IS a polling forum you know.

I know, this if FF specific though. I chose the last one. I don’t like to feel obligated to play a game because there’s a bill for it at the end of the month. Also I have a personal vendeta against Square-Enix now because of the “XI” issue.

It looks good so i might get it,but they really should have name it FF online.But the only way i can get it is if i get a better internet conection since all i got is dial up.

Erm… that’s a bit OTT, if you ask me, a vendetta- how can you play X-2, T-A, CC and XII with a clear conscience now? :-p

Personally, I’m not getting it, not for the PC (MMORPG’s just aren’t my thing) and definitely not for the PS2 (unless I finally get onto who wants to be a millionaire) :wink:

I’ll probably get it like next year or something. I’m still working on trying to get a hold of a cheap PS2…and then my next FF adventure lies with 10.

Has no place in the online world or at least they should have named it FF Online instead of a number in the series.

I’m glad to see I’m not the only one who feels the same as me. I should say that I’m very dissapointed with Square-Enix for messing with the best RPG series. I’m still getting X-2 and CC though.

Seeing that the FF/DW series are theirs…

…they have all the right to mess around, doing anything with them.

I know I would try to break the traditions after making several single player RPGs, considering the only multiplayer option so far: Battle commands for 2 players in FF6 and 9. (It might be in others aswell, but I don’t recall them at the moment.) FFXI kinda comes with a bang too: Thousands and thousands of players :stuck_out_tongue:

8 and 10 already had quite a kick in the stat-developing system, so you could say that FFXI is an experiement like they are. I remember the quite a few people who say that FF8 “is a good game but not worthy of the FF name”, so those people can keep saying it if they want to, but the final decision’s with the dudes who came up with the whole game.

Ok I am going to get it but most likely for my comp. And just asking what is CC???

Crystal Chronices is a multi-player game ala SoM for the GCN.

Ahhh. Yes dont have a gamecube.

I don’t know yet. After hearing about the battle system, my faith in it has lessened greatly. Then again, it’s essentially impossible to develop a good battle system for a MMORPG; they all boil down to this:

Hit monster with sword. Repeat until you or monster dies.

But still, USING MENUS IN A MMORPG? That’s essentially impossible!

Then again, I can see why: it’s because you bastards want all the games to be the same. You mock any game that tries to be different as “crappy”, even before it gets out the door. If it wasn’t for innovation to begin with, Square wouldn’t be known at all. FF would still be an underground series. RPGs would be an unpopular genre. And sure, FFVIII was terrible, but that’s because it indulged a bit too much in the experimentation, and didn’t focus on anything else. They were just toying with ideas people might like.

This is another thing where they tried an experiment, but will probably fail, for a variety of reasons:

1. They didn’t do all their homework on how to operate a MMORPG. From the sound of it, they’re STILL recovering from the tank of FF: The Spirits Within. They don’t have the hundreds of millions of dollars it takes to manage a MMORPG on a worldwide scale, and thus we have the server problems.

2. The fans will hate it instantly because they hate MMORPGs. They will run off to play Diablo II, only to get stabbed in the back by fuckers who have nothing better to do than kill other players. That’s why I stopped playing Diablo II.

3. The failure in Japan does NOT bode well for the game’s reputation. Forget that the Japanese have VERY different tastes than westerners. (Hentai games, anyone?) The game has barely reached western shores, and yet it’s been classified a “failure”.

And that is the sad story of FFXI.

Originally posted by d Galloway
[b]I don’t know yet. After hearing about the battle system, my faith in it has lessened greatly. Then again, it’s essentially impossible to develop a good battle system for a MMORPG; they all boil down to this:

Hit monster with sword. Repeat until you or monster dies.

But still, USING MENUS IN A MMORPG? That’s essentially impossible!

Aye the battle system is critical to MMORPG’s and this one just doesnt cut it. Plus the world pass/random server idea is shit as well as one character per server (SWG anyone?).

I Personally love MMORPG’s but because of reasons stated by Galloway - this one will never make it big

Although I consider myself as one of the BIGGEST FINAL FANTASY FAN THAT THERE IS IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD!! … I’m not going to get FF XI FOR SURE. Too costly ya know. I like how players can customize the looks of their characters, and that they can interact with other people from all around the world during gameplay, but the fact that people have to pay monthly fees and stuff really discourage me from buying the game. Then again, if they take out the monthly fee… heheheh

Originally posted by Fenril_Knight
Although I consider myself as one of the BIGGEST FINAL FANTASY FAN THAT THERE IS IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD!! … I’m not going to get FF XI FOR SURE. Too costly ya know. I like how players can customize the looks of their characters, and that they can interact with other people from all around the world during gameplay, but the fact that people have to pay monthly fees and stuff really discourage me from buying the game. Then again, if they take out the monthly fee… heheheh

The reason games charge monthly fees is so they can keep the servers running, upgrade whenever needed, and have money to live on. Let’s face it; running a MMORPG is expensive stuff, and doubly so if it becomes popular. Yes, Diablo II is free, but like I’ve said before, it’s plagued by immature bastards that don’t want to pay for anything.

And I MIGHT still get it. I could afford the monthly fee, even without a job; it’s getting the cash to buy the game that’s hard. That, and I have to see the system requirements.

Hey I like hentai and FF ;_;
I would get it, if only for the price, I can buy the game and I can pay for the monthly fee, but I need the money, and while £10-£15 a month aint much it’s £10-£15 less that I don’t have.

Originally posted by Sephiroth Hayes
Hey I like hentai and FF ;_;
I would get it, if only for the price, I can buy the game and I can pay for the monthly fee, but I need the money, and while £10-£15 a month aint much it’s £10-£15 less that I don’t have.

When i feel the need to justify the costs of an MMO - I simply look it at like this:

If I go to the movie once and get something to eat while there - i just paid about the same amount as if i paid for an entire month of the MMO. So basically, skip going to the movies one time, or skip eating out 2 or 3 times and you just covered an entire month of entertainment =)

And then there are those of us that don’t eat out and don’t go to movies. -_-

The price is the reason why I’m not getting FFXI, too. Besides anything else, I’d have to pay for broadband Internet.

Originally posted by d Galloway
[b]The reason games charge monthly fees is so they can keep the servers running, upgrade whenever needed, and have money to live on. Let’s face it; running a MMORPG is expensive stuff, and doubly so if it becomes popular. Yes, Diablo II is free, but like I’ve said before, it’s plagued by immature bastards that don’t want to pay for anything.

And I MIGHT still get it. I could afford the monthly fee, even without a job; it’s getting the cash to buy the game that’s hard. That, and I have to see the system requirements. [/b]

Yea, I know that they are charging monthly fees so that they can keep the server running and stuff, but then that will mean that they will lose customers like me~ (which might be a minuscule amount of peole).

I like playing Diablo II, and I like playing D2 online because its server is free~ But does that make me an immature bastard who doesn’t want to pay for anything?? Are you saying that the people who paid the monthly fee for FFXI and are currently playing FFXI on the Jap server NOT IMMATURE BASTARDS!!? AAAAHHH!!! j/k~~~ … Don’t be hatin’.