FF Frankenstien

I consider my self a pretty average videogame player, i pretty much only play rpgs and i have only played about 16 different ones since i started playing videogames on the psx. but i was thinking, what makes a videogame stand out? besides graphics and storyline (which are major factors) then i started thinking, what if someone hashed all the best parts of videogame rpgs into one, would that mean that if they combined it with a good story and good graphics that it would automatically be the best rpg out there?
well, here is my list of the best things about certain rpgs, mostly the ff series:

FFIV- The amount of vehicles used to explore the world(s), it was just cool how they let you travel all over while keeping some areas out of reach, it let you feel you had control, while really being a prisoner of the storyline.

FFV- The changable class system, here and in FFTactics as well you had control over how the characters would develop their battle skills while still retaining a class system, this provided the game with great replay value as there were enough ways to beat the same bosses by using different classes.

FFVI- The four character combat party was great (i think it was in 6, or was it 4?) as well as the large amount of playable characters, sure some didn’t get played as often, but each player had their favorites and that helps to bring players into the story more, providing the favored character takes part in the story.

FFVII- The chocobo breeding was really cool as a minigame that actually helps you out in the game, the other minigames were cool too though not as rewarding. (Though the materia system is great, i still prefer the class system.)

FFVIII- The card game was another cool minigame that was benifitted by gameplay. Other cool things were the weapon upgrades (also seen in Dark Cloud and Arc the Lad), and the seed rank. Though storyline driven, it was a cool incentive($$) to refine your skills through testing. Why does every monster carry gil???

FFIX- sorry, been so long, can’t think of anything cool besides the graphics.

FFX- similar to above, it had a good story and graphics, but nothing particularily unique to itself worth mentioning.

FFTactics- I loved the battle grid, (similar occurances in Arc the Lad and Gladius) it may have slowed combat down a bit, but i’m a fan of miniatures games and it brought a whole new dimension of strategy into play. (my favorite class was calculator for this reason)

Wild Arms1-3 - I liked the tools, similar to Zelda, they provide a huge improvment in the puzzle solving areas, especially compared to the levers in the early FFs and the orbs in FFX, but don’t effect combat which is good.

Legend of Dragoon- The best part of this game (besides summoning dragons) was the chainable attacks. It ups the level of participation in normally dull turn-based battles, which for longer battles is a great blessing. (also seen in Gladius)

now if SE combined these aspects of gameplay into one game would it rock? dunno, i hope they try it though.

There are, believe it or not, better RPGs (AND games) than Final Fantasy. Suikoden I-III, Xenogears, Shadow Hearts Covenant, Metal Gear Solid series, God of War.

The 4 person party went from the first FF through 6, stopped at 7-8, resurfaced at 9, and hasnt been seen since.

Dragoons Timing system was just as boring and repetitive as any turn based system except you screwed yourself if you missed anyt of those. Shadow Hearts did it better since it was more forgiving.

And How many vehicles did FFIV have? An air ship and a chocobo? They’ve had both of those since FFII.

In FFIX there wasnt anything cool besides the graphics.

FFVII’s Minigames were the best part about it. There were fuckloads of rewardable minigames. How the hell do you think you got Knights of the Round? Your ultimate limit breaks and weapons? VINICIT? YUFFIE?

FFX is the best since Tactics. It’s the only one that made me tear up. FFX-2 was ass.

WA’s puzzles were frustrating and dumb. You need to open a door by moving four blocks into 4 indentations. Fine. One you dont move all the way in. Fucking gay. I quit playing it after that. WA3 was better, but not by much. Great music though.

Now, in the long run, All FF’s play pretty much the same, all of those RPG’s you mentioned do. If you combined all of them, you would have a Turn Based RPG with some strategy and a ton of many games and annoying as fuck Puzzles.

I’ve played those before…

The best RPGs aren’t an amalgum of different random features. The best RPGs know where to concentrate for their game idea. If you implemented many of these features together, it would just crash and burn.

Well, FFIX defenitly had awesome character designs, and the frog catching sidequest is great too. I also loved the card game, synthesis, equipment/stone ability system, and chocobo sidequest FFIX had. FFX did have a great summon system, as well as Blitzball, the best minigame in the series. The monster area was also cool. If they combined those elements into a game, it would be so good that it might be one of the only RPGs capable of kicking FFVII ass!!!

I’d gush about how much I loved that game, but it really would derail the topic.

Neo, I’d say what constitutes a great game are the different elements, certainly, but also how well those elements interact and are integrated into the game. A gross amalgamation of superb pieces of other games that don’t blend or flow will not be as good as a game with a number of “OK” pieces that go together very well.

FF4 had 5-member parties, with the members (thus classes, etc.) determined entriely by the plot (only FF game to do that? Besides MQ?).

And FF4 had 7 vehicles (though basically there’s only 3). There were two chocobos (yellow can walk everywhere you can, but faster and blocks monsters. Black can fly, but can land only in forests. Only useful for one dungeon when your airship can’t be used), a hovercraft (same effect as yellow chocobo, but now you can cross shallow water), a ship (can’t be controlled, only for one plot scene), two airships (one can cart the hovercraft around, the other can be forgotten about once you’ve finished the plot scenes involving it), and a spaceship. Don’t forget the Serpent Road (no, not a vehicle, but it’s a method of travel anyways)!

FF3 had three different airships. Beat that! 8p

the frog catching sidequest is great too.

The frog catching sidequest was annoying as all get-out. But Chocobo Hot & Cold was, in my opinion, totally awesome. It combined twitch button-mashing with exploration, ability gaining, and treasure hunting. Rawk.

How the hell do you think you got Knights of the Round? Your ultimate limit breaks and weapons? VINICIT? YUFFIE?

um, are you asking these as questions? you have question marks at the end of the sentances, this leads me to belive that you are asking questions. now my question, did you read my post? all your questions are answered by my statement: “The chocobo breeding was really cool as a minigame that actually helps you out in the game” hmm, bite, bite, stop?
ok yeah dragoons timing was a bit tedious, but what other turn based game lets you do combos? Gladius had a pretty good rendition of it, but without the selction, and Tifa and Zells limit breaks were close too. if you found WA puzzles to complicated i can totally see why you liked god of war. god of war was a very linear action rpg, a button masher really, me and a bud(to switch out sore thumbs) beat it in one night , cool graphics and monsters, but a masher nonetheless.

Neo, I’d say what constitutes a great game are the different elements, certainly, but also how well those elements interact and are integrated into the game. A gross amalgamation of superb pieces of other games that don’t blend or flow will not be as good as a game with a number of “OK” pieces that go together very well.

of course if they don’t blend then it won’t work, but nobody has tried, they might just blend perfectly. is there a problem with having a 4 party turn based rpg with interchangeable classes, some cool minigames(Chocobo breeding, card game, blitzball), intriguing puzzles and sidequests, and other features like weapon upgrades and tools.
it might be that the average player that has bought into rpgs since ff7 has no interest in the level of depth these aspects could provide when combined, and that said, how would it sell?

KOTR helps you out, Yuffie and Vincent are Additional Characters, vincent being one of thes best, so that’s pretty important, the Ultimate Weapons and LB’s are pretty useful too. SH: Covenant had a combo system, Tales of symphonia, Xenogears/Saga they all implemented them better than Dragoon.

hmm, not reading slowly enough. i agree, the only way to get Kotr was through chocobo breeding, that is why i have said from the beginning that its a minigame that helps you out in the game instead of being just a distraction.

i admit i have never played SH:covenant or xenogears or tales of symphona, and i only played xenosaga for like half an hour (too many other games going at once). but the one thing i really liked about LOD was the combos, if another did it better, then great, imagine then my list with LOD removed and SH:covenant replacing it. from a ff standpoint you often don’t get some of these aspects, and maybe they would help the game out.

Interesting idea NB.
But, remember that Frankenstein’s monster was one ugly mother fucka. Mind you, your creature could end up a gorgeous being.
Now I am thinking about potential spin-offs to your game. The anthology of all FF mini-games, FF monsters battle arena (similar to Pokemon Stadium) or FF characters in a fighting game (FF Mortal Street Fighter Combat). The possibilities are limitless :wink: