Ever go back...

I haven’t played a Final Fantasy after 8, which permanently turned me off the franchise for being terrible :confused:

I went back and finished Paladin’s Quest, 7 years after I first started playing it. I occasionally feel like playing it again, only to change my mind after about 5 seconds.

Next up, 7th Saga. :v

FF 7 was one of my favorite games when I first played it in 2000. The game has its flaws - the confusing storyline involving Jenova cells and Cloud being experimented on, and weak character development/plot towards the end. But I don’t think the script is that weak. Like FF 6, the limited dialogue managed to convey a lot, along with the character designs, environment designs, and music.

When I look back at FF7, I’m amazed at how dark and tragic a game it was, every step of the way. Even the ending is left ambiguous as to whether Cloud and co. saved humanity from Meteor. Square took a huge risk making it that depressing, yet the game still succeeded somehow. If they remade it, I’d be interested to see if they made it more upbeat or not.

I replayed FF8 countless times, but that doesn’t count as a bad game I guess. I tried my hands at 7th Saga for snes again, but gave up after 10 minutes because it was so excruciatingly bad. I’d love to replay Aidyn Chronicles for N64, it was a really, really, REALLY bad RPG which just made you aggressive while you played it. I guess that adds to the difficulty. I’d still like to go for a fresh start, but my cartridge doesn’t save anymore. It must’ve gotten fried when I ragequit that one time and ripped out the power cable. Which was anything but smart, because I lost my entire process up to that point. And the ability to ever save again. Bummer. Maybe I’ll buy a new cartridge and go for a second try… one day.

just replace the battery in the cart… although that game is so cheap these days that it might be cheaper just to buy a new one.

Give IX a shot. It’s more fun.

I didn’t like FF9 very much, but I know I’m in a vast minority on that one. I liked FF10 a lot, and that’s the last one I’ve enjoyed. FF13-2 is threatening to make me enjoy it, but I need to actually invest more time in it to say for sure.

Yeah I already thought about doing that but then again, even that seems too much effort for such a crappy game ::dekar!::

it can be. finding the right size battery (some watch batteries will work just fine), having the right tool to open the cart, then having soldering skills and or electrical tape to adhere the battery. all that alone probably costs more than getting a new cart.

But if you get a new cart, the battery will likely be close to dying again. By replacing the battery, you’ve ensured another 10/20/whatever years of life out of the game. It may be a greater up front cost, but it pays off due to having to buy fewer (if any) replacements.

More importantly though, you’ll be gaining both the tools and the experience to make future transitions down the road less costly and mistake-ridden.

And besides, its better to try to do this and fuck up with Aidyn’s Chronicles than to try to do this and fuck up with games like Earthbound or Chrono Trigger.

I had to do this with Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal (all 3, since the friend I bought them from sold them to me with bad batteries). But, it in getting the tools I also manage to tinker around with some systems I bought cheap that didn’t quite work 100%. I bought a GBA SP for $15 but it had a bad L button that I was easily able to fix. Similar thing with a Crimson DSLite. Got it for $5 and worked perfectly except for the R button (though that was a bit trickier to disassemble. But I know what you mean. It can actually be beneficial to get something dirt cheap that doesn’t work right and then try to fix it.

I ended up doing something like that a year ago with a Dreamcast I got off a garage sale for like $10bux. The controller input resistor burned out and the previous owner tried their hand at it by looking up the first Youtube video on they could find which led to it ending up in a garage sale. A quick trip to Radio Shack and about half an hour with a soldering iron and I walked away with a CiB Dreamcast with four controllers and six games for $20bux all together.

I did that with my car :v $1k to buy, plus $100 for a battery and $500 for a clutch, and s’been great to me for two years now. I could even turn around and sell it for $3k if I wanted to.

I still want to go back and finish 7th Saga. The difficulty ramps up pretty fast though, and using Esuna and Kamil, I burned out not much after I took out the rebel apprentice in Patrof. Once the random encounters started one-shotting me, I was done. So yeah, that’s probably not gonna happen.

I start a new file of FF: Tactics every year. I’ve never done the de-level trick before, but that’s my goal for this run. As always, only using Reis and Meliadoul, because they’re usually outshined joining on too late in the game.

I’m debating doing a run of Knight, Monk, Lancer, Samurai, and White Mage, all with Talk skill and Counter. The goal? Convert EVERYONE. If they retaliate, give them the correction hand. Except for bosses and high-risk targets. Converting people to your side is almost easier than stealing their equipment anyways. Just take the whole unit and strip them down, boot them afterwards.