Evangelion remake on the cards.

Apparent scans from the October, 2006 issue of the Japanese edition of Newtype Magazine (not officially due out on shelves until this wekeend) have appeared online, backing up almost word for word the information reported below. Images Copyright © Kadokawashoten 2006 / © GAINAX - Khara / Project Eva The title for the new film series is “Evangelion Shin Gekijou Ban”, it will consist of 4 parts (First volume, Second part, Latter part and Final story) with the first part arriving in Japanese theaters in early summer, 2007. Staff include General Supervisor: Hideaki Anno, Director: Tsurumaki Kazuya , Character Design: Yoshiyuki Sadamoto, Mecha Design: Ikuto Yamashita, Animation Production: Khara (Color) Studio. The scenario of the 1st part will be written by Hideaki Anno with storyboard by Shinji Higuchi. Key points of an interview in the magazine with Toshimichi Ohtsuki of King Records have also been circulating. According to that information:
-The content is quite different though the time base of the story is the same as the original TV series.

• It will be a remake, however, it is not a re-creation but a “new work”.
  • The approach will be different than what Tomino-san did with the Gundam Z New Translation films, there will apparantly be a large amount of new material.
  • Even if the TV series has not be seen, the viewer will be able to enjoy it. Though the content becomes easy, it is not redundant to those already familiar with the series.
  • The technique that purposely scatters difficult words and phrases will not be used any longer.
  • As an antithesis to current animation industry segments, it is an attitude on the production side to pull the act in the age that started from Eva.

Stuff stuff dredged from 2chan by a goon:

point 1: Story will be the same as the TV series, but content will all be different
point 2: it will not be like the Z Gundam movies - it will be a totally new telling, not a remake with slight variations
point 3: it will be watchable without seeing the TV series
point 4: they’re cutting down on complicated terminology and technobabble
point 5: when Anno re-watched EVA, he got all sentimental, going, “Man, EVA is just so interesting” (insert obligatory EVA is SOOOOO DEEP)
point 6: the movie is intended to act as an antithesis to modern anime, giving closure to the era of modern anime drawing heavy direct/indirect influences from EVA

This isn’t some director’s cut (like the Director’s Cut) or a series of summary movies (like the Zeta Gundam movies), this is a full re-imagining. I can’t wait.

Interesting. Then again, with the number of alternate reality projects already milking Eva, this isn’t too surprising. I do hope this doesn’t mean Sadamoto will take a break from the Manga again >.<

I am terribly not interested.

Mainly because Eva’s appeal really was just Anno’s nervous breakdown. I’m still gonna watch it, though.

If I didn’t hate Eva so much I might be interested. Here’s to hope.

There’s a possibility that is another hoax out of newtype. They have also made claims of “Haruhi Returns” and “Gundam Seed 3” in the past.

Meh, I am more excited for Diebuster ep 6 and Gurren-Lagen.

Still gonna watch this though.

It just sounds like so much Eva milking, like so many people have said… but that doesn’t mean I’m not intrigued. I’ll check it out, if only to see what happens.

So hopefully this one, at least, won’t be made while the director is <i>on crack</i>?

Egads, the character designs are ugly.

we’ll see. Personally I thought Eva was unbelievably fantastic and life-altering in a couple respects. You guys know Hollywood is making a live-action version, gutting a good deal of the original series, right?

Will hollywood’s version attempt to be the feel good movie of the year?

I’d say shrooms. Lots and lots of shrooms.

Life-altering? What did you like so much about it?

I was under the impression that the Live Action project sort of froze to death. It’s still in the works?

I figure it’s still in the works, but I haven’t heard about it in a while.

it’s hard to describe, but I found the last few episodes and the movie to be extremely insightful and interesting.

When I saw the folks from ADV at a convention back in April, they still seemed very sure that the live action movies were going to happen.

By the way, I have a friend who was actually sent to the hospital by watching End of Eva. True story.

I watched End of Eva on a corrupted file where the sound didn’t work, so I couldn’t even tell who said what from the sub. I think it hurt my brain even more than it should have done.

RPT, why did your friend have to go to the hospital?

Well, you know how the movie is largely about breaking down individuality? Well, a part of him broke along with it and he just got plain old sick.

I myself get a little queasy when I watch it. The horror of the events in the movie is just so overwhelming.

Oh yes, I can completely understand that. Asuka’s insanity and the part where the giant Taurgis is reaching for Shinji stuck in his Eva, the look on Shinji’s face then. Will all haunt me forever, even without any sound at all. Brrr.

For me, it was more when people were popping into liquid, and the planet coming to be covered in a sea of LCL. Then, once that happened, realizing that every time one of the pilots ripped open an AT field they were basically destroying an angel’s individuality, coupled with how they were doing it from a cockpit full of liquid human.

Really, though, it was watching the various NERV technicians trying to keep a grip on themselves once the transition started, and utterly failing than unnerved me. I can’t think of anything more terrifying from the entire series than the one woman trying to work out something on the computer as her peers give in and lose themselves, and something reaches around to embrace her as she almost prays to Dr. Akagi for help, and then she herself pops.