EU parliament passes IP enforcement directive

Say hello to DMCA on steroids, goodbye freedom of thought.

Well, shit.

Yes. Now the real fun will start when in September we will get software patents - which I am now sure we will. :frowning:

Holy crap! I know Kindergardener’s with more common sense than to do that!

And I thought the EU was going to form into a “newer, better” version of the US. If they follow this path…I don’t even know what to say.

Man, I’m glad I don’t live there.

Oh happy day. :thud: One giant leap for capitalism, one giant kick in the teeth for the rest of humankind. :hyperven:

Originally posted by Nebagram
Oh happy day. :thud: One giant leap for capitalism, one giant kick in the teeth for the rest of humankind. :hyperven:

That’s not capitalism… that is corporate fascism.

Haw, have fun assholes :stuck_out_tongue:

That article is both biased and outdated.
They’ve added an amendment. A quite lovely amedment. An amendment that pretty much changes the entire nature of the law. At least to us home users.
BBC.

I’m pretty sure this law causes aggrivation more than joy at Hollywood. Just reflect at the quote below.

Technical protection devices must not be used in order to seal off markets from one another.

Bye bye DVD Regions.

The law in full.

Nulani, you just made my day! :slight_smile:

Would huggle, but scans your catboy pic instead, since huggling you would cause serious injury! ^^;

That really sucks, hopefully that doesnt happen over here

( prob wont as it would be declared unconstitutional thankfully)

Nulani, you saved this thread from becoming a “stupid EU” thread. Congrads!:victoly: :yipee:

No more accursed region coding? HOORAY!

Hoorjay!

Now they just need to do it HERE.

Oh thank you Nulani, that was a relief… :slight_smile: Well, not a full relief but it’s way better than the original.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that is not really true.
Read more In the comment here.

And how can you speak of outdated when that article was written a few hours after the decision was made?

I think you’re overreacting, Maborishi. You’re worried about where the law can be taken, not about what it is. If we got rid of every law that could possibly be used to create harm, we’d have no laws at all.

The law is against professional counterfitters, not against individual music downloaders. The people running this probably have some idea of what they’re doing, unlike the US and RIAA. In other words, it’s against the people who make a living off of counterfitting, not those that just download a few songs.

Originally posted by d Galloway
[b]I think you’re overreacting, Maborishi. You’re worried about where the law can be taken, not about what it is. If we got rid of every law that could possibly be used to create harm, we’d have no laws at all.

The law is against professional counterfitters, not against individual music downloaders. The people running this probably have some idea of what they’re doing, unlike the US and RIAA. In other words, it’s against the people who make a living off of counterfitting, not those that just download a few songs. [/b]

Uh, no? It applies to each and every infringement of copyright, trademark and (software) patent. There are some things that can limit the freezing of bank accounts and the request for ISP’s information to commercial infringements, but those are just possibilities for the member states. The rest applies to every company, commercial infringer and Joe Sixpack.

I honestly don’t understand why people who regularly complain about the RIAA and/or DMCA can say “it won’t be that bad”.

And the person who hijacked this directive (it was originally indeed meant to be used against commercial infringers) is the wife of the guy who own Vivendi Universal, so don’t tell me she knows what’s best for everyone but her ilk.

[Edit: Can’t spell today]

Because they made amendments afterwards.
And you keep posting articles from obviously biased webpages. Just thought I’d mention that.

The EU Press Release.

But I’ll admit I won’t read the law in full. Mostly because I don’t live inside the EU. I live in the country where it is legal to use deCSS.