Epiphany

Yesterday by afternoon I was talking to a friend of mine who’s a psichanalist (I’m not sure if I spelled that right).

-(…)So, Renan, what do you think perfection is?

I was thinking about another thing. Specifically, a big quartz crystal I carry around in my pocket that is yet to be lapidated. I was thinking about how it would look good if it had no flaws and thus the thoughts crossed and mixed in my mind in some twisted way.

-A perfect thing is a thing with many flaws.
-(…)
(I then noticed the thing I had just said)
-I mean, a thing with NO flaws.
-No, just think of it. Your inconscient mind’s just came up with a beautiful proverb.

And then we both had an epiphany.

I must be a genius of the same kind of those guys who create their stuff while daydreaming.

It’s harsh to say, but your proverb is inherently flawed.

edit: sorry, I hadn’t understood what you meant with Q64

I actually posted that as a constrast to what you posted, a sort of irony if you will, but it was just too far a stretch so I edited it and just out and posted the “hidden meaning” behind it. Hope you don’t mind.

The problem with your proverb is that it puts Perfection, Quest 64, Hitler, and God all on the same level. Not something a lot of people are willing to do, I’m sure.

I can see what you’re trying to get at, that everyone should be treated equally regardless of their flaws, but as it stands, the proverb belittles the best things in our world, while praising the acutely flawed. So while I agree with the idea behind it, I don’t really like the proverb.

I didn’t know the game. Now that you elaborated I don’t feel any bad at having that up there, you may repost it.

I’ve been developing this thing. Maybe it’ll grow just like a baby to become an adult. The current development stage of my idea follows this silogism:

Perfection lies in following all the rules of a given set
Such set of rules follows a pattern
But no pattern pleases everybody the same, so perfection is not only relative but also unique to each who judges what perfection is
Therefore, a perfect thing turns into imperfect and vice-versa depending on the viewpoint
So, no matter how much work is put into perfection, a perfect or concept will look full of flaws from a viewpoint that’s even only the slightest different from the viewpoint of someone who declared the thing as perfect

edit: just saw the last edition of your second post. I don’t imply that everyone should eb treated the same, I’m implying that it’s impossible to come up with perfection because there is more than one concept for what perfection is.

Originally posted by Ren
Perfection lies in following all the rules of a given set
Such set of rules follows a pattern
But no pattern pleases everybody the same, so perfection is not only relative but also unique to each who judges what perfection is
Therefore, a perfect thing turns into imperfect and vice-versa depending on the viewpoint
So, no matter how much work is put into perfection, a perfect or concept will look full of flaws from a viewpoint that’s even only the slightest different from the viewpoint of someone who declared the thing as perfect.

I’m pretty sure it was unintentional on your part, and you should feel a bit proud for it, but this is very similar to The Challenge of Cultural Relativism. If you’re truely interested in this area, I suggest you check it out on Google, there should be a large selection of sites for you to choose from on this topic, more than enough to satiate your hunger and raise new questions in your mind.

Thank you :yipee:

Wow, there’s a world of info on it…