Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeemo

Actually, Ninja, what you described is a “Spooky Kid,” which is someone who is trying to be goth and failing miserably. Goths are quite a different little picture there. As far as Emo goes, I bet you that 99.9% of them are people who just jumped on the bandwagon and don’t “get it,” while there are actually some emo kids that follow the movement because it’s close to their heart, rather than falling on like a bunch of stupid lemmings.

Such is the way with any craze.

Of course it was full of contradictions. That’s what emo is. :stuck_out_tongue:

After thinking for all of a minute, I have decided to go against the emo bashing grain on this post.

I have three basic reasons
1-“Emo” as it is largely seen by the mainstream media is not in fact emo at all, it is little more than weak pop music that focuses on being depressed and wearing black
2-The bands that actually defined emo, back in its earliest days were actually decent bands (this claim based off of people with taste and their opinions AFTER the craze turned to suckage)
3-Poser-wanna-be punk was called emo a few years back, and everyone found out it sucked and emo got a bad name. Now those EXACT SAME bands coughDashboardConfessionalCough are doing the same thing again and now they are trying to sully the good name of pop-punk (for reference to real pop-punk, think of the Ramones, Screeching Weasel and all bands that fill the space between)

So yes, I am hating on the exact same group of little uppity punks who think they know shit about the knowledge realm of the nerds (like the kid wearing a l33t shirt, or however you spell it, who didn’t even know what basic was, let alone vax, which by the way is the most elite system ever), and wear black and listen to mopey music. I just don’t want them associated with decent music at all. They, and their bands (new bands, not the ones they get the T-shirts of but can’t name a CD or song by CoughClashCough) are a plague of locusts that will continue to destroy lush fields of respected music until we kill them all.

But I refuse to call them emo.

What about the ones that go to Hot Topic and buy a Duck Hunt shirt, knowing full well what the game is and having letigimate reasons to like it, even tho they quite suck at hunting ducks? >> <<

Precisley… besides Emo started back in the late 80’s after Punk pretty much died, and people wanted something new… I used to listen to some emo bands, I can’t exactly remember there names. Things on MTV, etc… aren’t really pop-punk either… just rock I guess. I used to call it shit-rock. So no matter how far you push it, people are going to get into something, there are no individuals anymore… there is no movement.

And besides Phoerret listens to Metallica… how hardcore…

What the hell does me listening to Metallica have to do with anything? I don’t claim I’m a hardcore metal person by any means (even though I do like the style of music and it’s the only stuff I’ll consistently listen to, but that’s because I see everything else as a current fad (I mean personally, the songs (like Stacy’s Mom, which I liked for quite a bit before it got deleted))).

I’d rather people follow the trend of being “emo” and/or gothy/depressed all the time as opposed to being MTV Pop culture twits or stupid ass HipHop.

At least the goth kids dont act as stupid.

I still dont exactly get what emo is, but acting ghetto is fun. And whenever someone calls you something mean, just be like “dont be hating”. Its halarious.

I find it disturbing that the term ‘Emo’ is getting merged with ‘Goth’…but it comes as no surprise.
The same thing happened to the Woodstock generation who saw their grassroots style that originally was considered sloppy and unclean by the older generations until the younger generation got a hold of the idea and made it ‘the in thing’. Everyone wanting to cash in on the counterculture automatically transformed it into pop culture.

But it’s not all bad…it’s just the posers who bother me.

This is exactly the type of flowery bullshit response the guy who made the rant SG posted was talking about :stuck_out_tongue:

And speaking of that rant, replace every instance of “emo” in it with “metal” and you’ll have an understanding of why I just don’t fucking get metal. Particularly this:

No one can tell you what metal music is. Ask somebody. (Okay, now ask somebody who’s not a 28 year old punk rocker turned metal.) They’ll name some bands that have nothing to do with each other - <b>neither sound, nor lyrical content nor influences will match up.</b> Someone else will give you a different list. For extra fun, ask different clerks at the same music store. If they’re not to busy condescending to you, they will probably point you in opposite directions (although I’d beware of prepared metal speeches from store clerks. I’m sure they exist.) The most consistent list of metal bands I’ve heard consisted of precisely 12 bands. To add any more, you have to include bands who made one album before breaking up, and it’s only available on vinyl.
See what I mean? These are identical to my experiences, 100%. The bolded part, especially, applies to the bands you’ve told me are “metal.”

Gothic = Of God

Gothic Architecture spawned images of sinister cathedrals and gargoyles. These images tied into other images of supernatural beings, as per the creepy castle stereotype in mythology and folk lore.

The supernatural darkness image blended with the victorian image. Goth was born out of these two distinctly different images of beauty, the elegance of victorian style, with the sinister beauty of the gothic age.

Modern “goths” are drawn by the elegance sometimes, often by the sinister beauty, and also at times by the images of supernatural evils. These “goths” often dress drearily, as defined by the mixed images of gothic europe and victorian england, but just as often dress over-elegantly, or in no particular style at all.

Musical tastes of goths tend towards bands that have either sinister tones or strong religious FEEL (not necessarily meaning or message), the electronic sounds of the 80s are also popular, but I don’t know why.

Now lets compare this to a fad, born out of the image that whiney music sells, that was grossly overmarketed to the idiot masses to the point that it has killed two musical movements and is working on a third.

Difficult isnt it?

Meanwhile, PUNK IS NOT DEAD! …its just sleeping.

That’s what they all say.

All that proves is that people are idiots and they can’t properly classify or agree on what ‘genre’ some music is. Frankly, I couldn’t give a rats ass what genre something was. Music is organized into three classes:

1. Music that you love.
  2. Music that you don’t love or hate, but don’t mind listening to.
  3. Music that you hate.

Personally, I think any other rating system sucks.

The genre system is for more than just rating. It’s for telling people “I like [x] genre of music!” and having them know what the fuck you’re talking about, which, you know, is hard, when bands like Iron Maiden, Dead Kennedys, Metallica, Black Sabbath, Dream Theater, and Slipknot, are all apparently the same genre even though they’re as fucking different as night and day.

Here’s my take. What is considered “emo” today is nothing more than a bunch of songs written by producers and sung by phony bands created on MTV coughGood Charlottecough or a bunch of wannabe punks who think it’s funny to sing about dirty stuff and poke fun at pop culture while at the same time still being a part of pop culture coughBlink182cough. Real emo music no longer exists in our time, and the great emo groups have been long since forgotten. But there are people out there who still remember the good “emo” bands such as The Smiths, The Cure, and …am I forgetting anybody? The Cure still puts out music, as does Morrisey from The Smiths.
Personally,I think “emo” and “goth” are much the same nowadays, labels people place on themselves to sound cool. Just like the massive uprising of quasi-hippies who wear patchworks, smoke dope and listen to Ekoostik Hookah, or Phish. Especially noticeable in the town I went to high school in.

When I was a freshman, I wore patchworks and smoked dope(and even so I still listened to Metal) and everyone at my school made fun of me for being in the counterculture and called me names such as “Culture Queer” which is a definition of a counterculture person. By the time I dropped out of school, the kids who made fun of me for smoking dope and wearing patchworks and having long greasy braids(mine weren’t dreads) in my hair were fucking hypocrites who were not only turning the counterculture into pop culture, they were asking kids they once made fun of where to get drugs at.

In retrospect, I wasn’t wearing patchworks because I thought they were the ‘in’ thing. I was wearing them because my parents couldn’t afford to buy me clothes.
Now to avoid being swept up in some sort of fad, I wear jeans or khakis and a white t-shirt. Fads poison millions of minds every day, but only last for a short time. The effects of a fad could last a lifetime on the mind that it altered. I even cut back on smoking pot because it too is becoming a fad. Sad, isn’t it.

Back to the Emo subject. It’s not a subject I have much knowledge on, but there are emo posers who think they’re punk because they throw on a sideways Dickies cap, ripped jeans, a (place band here) t-shirt, and Chucks with their fave band’s logo drawn on them in marker or Wite-out. And these are the same kids who think Good Charlotte and New Found Glory are “punk”. And they probably have Avril Lavigne posters in their bedrooms, and think that she is a punk.

And finally, for my last comment. Long Live Metal \m/. And Avril Lavigne sucks(as a musician, if you can call her one).

True. Go the radio tower outside of Yoka Zoo and address the white scientist with sunglasses to fight Punk. :stuck_out_tongue:

coughHeavy metal, punk, crap, doom metal, progressive metal, and shitty hard rock/nu-metalcough (in order too!)

See, it’s a paradox! If they’re not classified as the same genre, they’re OVERCLASSIFIED :stuck_out_tongue: The genre system just inherently sucks.

I love you.

I agree. Genres are made for generalizing a lot of different styles in order to make them similar. Which defeats the purpose of enjoying music. I try not to use the genre system. Or I should make my own based on epic’s comment. They(the Genre system) classify the Sex Pistols, The Clash, and The Damned as punk, but none of them sound anything alike. Same with Metal. Hades made a good point about the generalization of metal.

Finally, I am going to say that Genres are fads as well. In ten to fifteen years, they’ll be calling shit classic rock that they call (insert genre here) now.