Earthbound woes

I’m not sure what to think of this game anymore. I started it finally, thinking I would love it, since Mother on the NES is one of my favorite RPGs. This game started out looking to surpass it easily, but now, it’s just been getting less and less funny, and in my opinion, it’s showing itself to be worse in quality, as well.

My main gripe, as silly as it might seem, are the music and graphics (just the battle graphics though). The music is very creative, but all of it is just ridiculous, unmemorable quiky music. Even the cooler songs from the NES game are either just worsened (Ness’s theme, which is played in his house and NOWHERE else, the troubled theme, which just sounds dumb now, and the sanctuary boss theme, which was the normal boss theme of Mother, only it was way cooler), or just drowned out by dumb stuff (The desert song, for example, is practically the exact same theme as the NES one, note for note, only you can’t hear it with spaceship sounds and loud winds drowning it out.). Also, a few other themes from the old game, just simply lack their old appeal or do not appear enough (The snow town theme, and the Hippie battle theme, for example). This annoys the HELL out of me, as I think that music is sort of important in providing a good atmosphere. Mother was ridiculous enough without a shitload of blatantly retarded music, why wouldn’t this game be? Also, just as a matter of personal taste, the trippy ass backgrounds really annoy the hell out of me. I would have liked pitch black backgrounds…

The humour, nextly, kinda just backs off after a while it seems. In Mother, the whole entire game wasn’t chock full of funny ass jokes, but it was well spread throughout the game. I don’t feel that such is the truth in Earthbound; The game is laugh-your-dick-off hilarious at the beginning, straight up until after you leave Twoson. Then, the game just sort of died out. The Mr. Saturns were pretty damn funny, like drinking the coffee cup and getting that odd message, heh. But other than that, there really hasn’t been anything worth seeing since then, and the game has really just been annoying since then. In Threed and Fourside, it was virtually impossible to figure out where to go, and what to do. Even after talking to everyone in town sometimes, I was just stumped. I feel like I’m dragging my ass through the game, now. I just arrived in Summers, and I really don’t feel like playing anymore. I have a feeling that when I walk around and try and find out what to do, I’m not gonna figure it out, and that’s just so obnoxious to me. It’s not even really that funny anymore. Even the little things that always made me laugh (like Psi Rockin! lmao) are just not quite enough to make me wanna play the game anymore.

Does the game pickup again? I realize that maybe I’m being unfair by comparing it to Mother, I’ve only heard that Earthbound was significantly better, not worse, from those who I know have played both games (not many). At this point, I’m really contemplating whether or not I should finish the game. I realize that the game’s beauty lies in its humour, but, it’s not really that funny now, and, if the game isn’t fun (And it really isn’t. It’s not really that challenging), then I’m not sure why one would play.

Well, once you complete the 8th sanctuary and go to Magicent (or whatever it’s called) it gets a bit wacky again… not really funny, just… wacky.

Aside from that, well, I think you’re right that the main funny points are behind you, but it’s still worth completing. At the very least the way the final battle plays out is nifty.

I thought that it gets a lot more serious towards the end. But then, maybe I’m just retarded.

I thought the humor was well spread out…

But the way they set the battles up gets annoying and ugly after awhile, and they make the entire game alot less fun. As soon as you enter a battle you think “ugh, not this again…” instead of getting excited.

Tell me about it. I used a cheat code to instantly levelup to 99 so that just about anything I ran into would just pop off, but in the final dungeon, that didn’t work. It was kinda fun seeing “Yar Kramer” in the closing credits, though …

Earthbound was…well…wierd for a while. However, the lousy battles, horrible music, absolutey terrible graphics, and shitty all-around gameplay drove me off.

EarthBound is one of my favorate games ever.
If nothing else, the gameplay is great.

And Mr. Saturn r00lz. Boing!

I hate Earthbound. Worst. Game. Ever.

I hate it! FDKL:JDFKLFLS:FJSKLS

>.<

I don’t know what you’re talking about the game being funny early on SG? I don’t remember that (Though it’s been a while). I remember what made the game amusing for me was the items, like how the hippies would use toothbrushes during battle, or if you examined different types of beef jerky you got this long rambling explanation about beef jerky. As for stopping at this point, I wouldn’t do that, after Fourside is when the game starts to pick up steam. And it will start to become a little challenging at this point if you haven’t leveled. Enemies like the Kraken, all the different advanced starmen, and those robots that do 8,000 damage when they explode.

inserts various flames and trolls about SG’s game taste, his hairstyle, and makes suggestions that he is a gh4y f4g

:stuck_out_tongue: But seriously, I think part of your problem might be that you heard people talk about how funny the game is so much and then that aspect of the game got too-highly amplified in your mind, so when you actually played it, the humor wasn’t quite as good as you were expecting. And I wouldn’t characterize EB as particularly “funny,” but it’s the kind of game that is very amusing in a sort of kitschy way, and it always puts a friendly smile on my face throughout the whole game even though I don’t remember laughing out loud much while playing it. But it’s not meant to be Seinfeld-on-screen, but just sort of cute and bemusing. As CH referenced the humor is much more subtle and behind-the-scenes as a rule and not thrown at you as much as might be expected. It might be strongest in the beginning, but its still there, hovering everywhere but not always in-your-face.

The graphics and music are supposed to be campy, and people either hate that or appreciate it for what it is. And I think the music is pretty superior, not because it’s some sort of audial landmark but because its very unique, bouncy, catchy, and has this jazzy-sound to it that most RPGs shun from. And how great a sound quality are you even expecting from a mid-aged SNES game? I think your bar may be a bit high there.

Anyway, definitely complete it. The game starts getting pretty hard for a spell (about where you are), the usual constant-but-not-ostentatious humor is still consistent (the cafe in Summers is hilarious in my view), and the a-cut-above-average insights made by the game are saved till later. Plus you’re a good part of the ways through and you shouldn’t give it up yet.

Yeah, I do agree that the laugh-out-loud humour decreased after a certain time. That’s because, by the time you get to the desert, the game has moved away from its satirical image of suburban America and American pop culture, which is the game’s most immediately memorable aspect. However, the goofiness and weirdness of the game are still there, they’re just manifested in other things. Magicant, for example, which you haven’t gotten to yet, exemplifies this very well, as does the bit with Prince Poo, or the bit with Carpainter’s cult, which you’ve already seen. I also think that the game isn’t really “funny” per se, but rather that it is <i>odd</i>, in a funny way, in all regards. This is due, I think, to the completely deadpan way all the oddities are delivered, like that bit with the two sesame seeds in the desert.

The goofiness and weirdness is also considerably less then it was when Earthbound first came out. During the time any non medival RPG was considered innovative, but along came this game that took place in present day suburbs, where you could order pizza and increase foods powers by using condiments, it seemed a lot more creative than it does now. Merlin and SK are right though about the humor being a bit more subtle, like the fact that in summers everything is sickeningly expensive, or how the pizza man sometimes decides not to deliver and phones you up telling you he couldn’t find you while people laugh in the background.

Hmm…well, I’ll keep trying to play it…I just, it’s true. I did expect something more because I was hyped up. I usually don’t let that happen. I’ll persist, as long as I can.

BTW, Psi Rockin has to be the funniest thing ever. (Rockin is my “your favorite thing”) Every time I do it, I’m reminded of those Twisted Sister music videos. For anyone who hasn’t seena Twisted Sister music video, basically it starts with a hard ass parent lecturing his son about having no direction, he’ll say something like “You sit there plucking that electrical twanger all day long, what do you wanna do with your life?” And the kid will just look up and be like “I wanna ROCK!” and this loud sound comes on, and the parent gets freaked out, and then Twisted Sister comes and pays the kid a visit, or something, and then they march around the house singing whatever song is on (“We’re not gonna take it…NO, we ain’t gonna take it…”), all the while somehow harming the dad. Like, they’ll open up a door and slam it on his face, and every single person will do it to them. And like, the walls will explode on him, and they’ll throw him out the window and shit. God, it’s like that EVERY TIME! I love Psi Rockin! lolololol.

Originally posted by Skankin’ Garbage

BTW, Psi Rockin has to be the funniest thing ever. (Rockin is my “your favorite thing”) Every time I do it, I’m reminded of those Twisted Sister music videos. For anyone who hasn’t seena Twisted Sister music video, basically it starts with a hard ass parent lecturing his son about having no direction, he’ll say something like “You sit there plucking that electrical twanger all day long, what do you wanna do with your life?” And the kid will just look up and be like “I wanna ROCK!” and this loud sound comes on, and the parent gets freaked out, and then Twisted Sister comes and pays the kid a visit, or something, and then they march around the house singing whatever song is on (“We’re not gonna take it…NO, we ain’t gonna take it…”), all the while somehow harming the dad. Like, they’ll open up a door and slam it on his face, and every single person will do it to them. And like, the walls will explode on him, and they’ll throw him out the window and shit. God, it’s like that EVERY TIME! I love Psi Rockin! lolololol.

Hahah I know what you mean man, I love those videos. A lot of them start out the same, with the same guy saying “WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO WITH YOUR LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFFFEEEEEE??” and then the “I wanna ROCK!” part comes on… oh man, those were the days, why can’t music be like that again?

You should play through to Magicant, at least. It’s a ways past where you are, but I always loved Magicant (it’s a good deal different than the one in Zero).

eh, Earthbound was cool and though I realize that your arguments are true I still liked the game

I never criticize or analyze things like that, analyzing or criticizing anything ruins it beyond belief, even worse… comparing it with something else can really damage the experience

this is especially true for poetry and movies…

for example: the LOTR movies, they were great movies until I started tearing them apart because of things from the book… I havent even watched the second one because I know I wont enjoy it for the sole reason that I analyzed the first one…

when watching movies, reading books, reading poetry, or playing video games DONT THINK

just kinda turn your brain off and enjoy the experience, taste and fun dont mix

Originally posted by Deedly
when watching movies, reading books, reading poetry, or playing video games DONT THINK

Then what do you get out of it besides fun? I mean, popcorn movies/music is fun (music you can listen to without thinking, eating popcorn) but I believe that there should be room for things that make you think as well.

I honestly believe what you said to be one of the silliest overgeneralizations I have seen.

I’m tired- its three AM- I’ll probably explain more tomorrow.

yep, its a terrible generalization

but its true in a wierd sort of way

when it comes to video games though, its just for fun and you shouldnt really think much into it, especially with games like earthbound

I can understand if its something thats supposed to make you think, but in general you shouldnt think, it just messes things up :slight_smile:

I know Im not explaining myself very well, but you get the general point

thinking + video games = bad

this doesnt apply to multiplayer games of course

I have a question for you, have you ever played an entire console RPG WITHOUT using metagame thinking? nobody really has

on the other hand the best D&D players can ignore their metagame thinking and be truly in character because its an actual game with real people, but thinking outside of a console game is inevitable because it has no real alternative or truly deep RPing that would allow you to do anything otherwise

I’ve heard some people say Earthbound was just a Dragon Warrior parody. In more ways than one, I have to agree with them.

Yes, it does have it’s ups and downs and ins and outs, but if you at LEAST see thought the final fight, you will be completley OMG?!. It was actually kind of depressing and I had to have a quiet nap afterwards. Heck, if you’re gonna give up, at least get the ROM of it, find a save state of the final fight, and do that instead. Trust me, you MUST at least see the final fight.

The graphics weren’t mainly my thing, but the spells and not seeing your battle animations really buggered me.

And I really thing the music was creative and innotive for it’s time.

And the coffee cup thing and “What is your name? Not you, YOU! With the controller!” is great.

Just keep playing, mabey you’ll find your forte somewhere.

I’m not analyzing shit, Deedly. What the hellare you talking about? :stuck_out_tongue: I was just giving my opinion of what I took the game’s face value for, and currently, I’m not pleased. I’m not being overanalytical or something, damn :stuck_out_tongue: I’m not even smart enough to be overanalytical. :stuck_out_tongue: