Dwarf Fortress: taking roguelike games to a new level

While still in its early alpha status, with the bugs to show it, Dwarf Fortress is already proving to be quite the fun game. I’m not one for words, so I’ll copy the guide and description from <a href=“http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2011668”>here</a> and <a href=“http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/”>here</a>. (respectively)
Game Description:
Dwarf Fortress is a single-player fantasy game. You can control a dwarven outpost or an adventurer in a randomly generated, persistent world.

Although Dwarf Fortress is still in a work in progress, many features have already been implemented.

• The world is randomly generated with distinct civilizations, dozens of towns, hundreds of caves and regions with various wildlife.
  • The world persists as long as you like, over many games, recording history and tracking changes.
  • Command your dwarves as they search for wealth in the mountain.
    o Craft treasures and furniture from many materials and improve these objects with precious metals, jewels and more.
    o Defend yourself against attacks from hostile civilizations, the wilderness and the depths.
    o Support the nobility as they make demands of your populace.
    o Keep your dwarves happy and read their thoughts as they work and relax.
    o Build floodgates to divert water for farming or to drown your adversaries.
    o Much much more…
  • Play an adventurer and explore, quest for glory or seek vengeance.
    o Meet adversaries from previous games.
    o Recruit people in towns to come with you on your journey.
    o Explore the world without cumbersome plot restrictions.
    o Accept quests from the town and civilization leaders.
    o Retire and meet your old characters, then reactivate them again.
    o Z coordinate allows you to move seamlessly between dungeon levels and scale pyramids fighting adversaries above and below.
  • The combat model uses skills, body parts, wrestling, charging and dodging between squares, bleeding, pain, nausea, and much more.
  • A dynamic weather model tracks wind, humidity and air masses to create fronts, clouds, rain storms and blizzards.
  • Extended ASCII character set rendered in 16 colors (including black) as well as 8 background colors (including black).

Guide for the building portion(Courtesy of BlondRobin):
Dwarf Fortress is a bizarre fusion of roguelike and city-building sim. It is free, released by a hobbyist software developer called Bay 12 Games (www.bay12games.com), and is currently in a very playable alpha. ((Note from steve, that means there may be support for you visiting your own settlement in the future versions of the game.))

ok but why ascii graphics??? it really makes it look like garbage.

Is this for real?

It’s a Roguelike, alright. And I suppose you die before you can reach the first settlement. Preferably by wolves.

Does roguelike mean anything anymore?

Try playing it.

“In desperate need of tilesets”

Indeed. From what I’ve seen this is more like Sim City with a token roguelike tacked on in an attempt to justify not having actual graphics. It looks interesting, but I’ll wait till it’s more complete before I mess with it more.

Yeah … I was starting to think “awesome” until I saw the graphics, and I have to say I kinda agree with deathstryke.

I don’t see why the graphics have anything to do with it. I’m all for pretty eye-candy, but this game is genuinely fun. Even Vorpy’s been playing it =
If you want to help the guy with graphics, be my guest. He’s the only one working on it, though. Not to mention it’s been out since only the 8th of this month. How long did it take nethack to get its graphics? How many people worked on it?

In any case, I think my dwarves might actually surivive this winter. Hopefully I can start training them and get them ready for lizard/snakemen that may spring from the in-the-cave river :frowning:

What’s this about the combat model using body parts? Can you bludgeon people to death with their own dismembered limbs?

Not too positive on that, I’ve steered clear of the adventurer part and most done the Dwarf Fortress part. From what i have played, you can decapitate/dismember anything you fight, and are able to pick up those limbs. I guess it’s probably possible.

edit:

<b>I’d play this if it wasn’t ASCII graphics</b>
The developer has mentioned a switch to a different interface if he feels that the game complexity reaches a point where the game suffers as a result of being controlled rather like a Roguelike. He’s either already at that point or rapidly approaching it.

Well my first settlement I completely screwed up in my cave digging and just quit since there’s no way to fill in tunnels yet. My next settlement I brought through two winters then quit because it was getting terribly complicated and I think it runs slowly on my computer or something, it took forever for stuff to happen and everyone was starving and stuff. Also the immigrants just never stop coming and I already had severe food shortages and while the first trade caravan showed up with some food, the humans on their mules and the next caravan brought NOTHING. And the dwarves keep wasting time looking at coffers, what’s with that. Also fun how if a dwarf gets thirsty in the middle of a long task, he’ll drop what he’s doing to get a drink, and another dwarf will come and put whatever item he was using all the way back in the storage area.

Farmer: “Gee planting these seeds is taking so long, I think I’ll go get a drink”
Peasant: “Hey that farmer left seeds lying around on this farm! I’d better go put them back in the food storage area by the dining hall”

Also I tried making potash to use as fertilizer and got some weird, indecipherable error messages. I managed to make a little, but never really figured out exactly what I had to do or not do. I think if some dwarf comes and picks up an item that there is only one of, then the game will act like that item doesn’t exist until the item is put down in a storage area.