dual monitor support

I just set it up, and I think I will when I go back to school. I also wanted to brag about it a bit here first too. It’s really cool and supposedly convenient. It’s like I’m sitting at a control room or the Batcave or something.

what can it be useful for though?

Gaming in one screen, while chatting on ICQ in another if you’ve set it up right.

yeah, it has lots of uses, mostly in terms of spreading things out. Like, I’m typing in this monitor, but in my other monitor I have WinAmp and mIRC on display, so I can see multiple things at once. It’s nifty and makes you feel like you’re at a security desk :stuck_out_tongue:

It can also be really handy for video editing, as well as other things that require full screen views. A friend of mine is doing a clipshow, and has sent up one monitor for video display and the other for audio editing. He gets to watch the video at the same time he’s creating the audio tracks, which helps a lot when he’s trying to sync them together.

Welcome to my and Rahvin’s world. Dual Monitors is quite useful ^^

How hard was it to set up?

It’s a fairly simple thing… If you have the latest line of ATI cards or Nvidia cards then on those you have two monitor ports (one for standard crt and one for flat panel lcd) you basically get a converter in order to plug in a second crt like I do. After that it’s a just a question of activating it in the control panel of the video properties.

yeah the set up is amazingly simple if you have the right hardware.

You people make me feel very poor.

I have two monitors, but my card does not have two plugs. Argh.

envies Merlin, Drak and Rahvin

Man, how could you have the proccesing power to run that much stuff at once? I need to figure out how to do the opposite, that is, to hook up two computer towers to work together on one monitor.

Originally posted by Sinistral

That, and my computer is a horrible pile of shit from '97 >.>;;

Merlin’s a nerd! :open_mouth:

Originally posted by Crotanks
Merlin’s a nerd! :open_mouth:

Originally posted by ClothHat
Man, how could you have the proccesing power to run that much stuff at once? I need to figure out how to do the opposite, that is, to hook up two computer towers to work together on one monitor.

You mean clustering? You can put a lot of compies together to work as one, but it is only useful if you are processing a lot of data - and I mean a lot like working with meteorology sattelites or calculating the movement of fluids. It doesn’t help in any work application you might have at home. And you don’t get extra FPS on games.

Originally posted by Ren
[b]I have two monitors, but my card does not have two plugs. Argh.

envies Merlin, Drak and Rahvin [/b]

You can just get a cheap second videocard. That will work in Windows 2000, XP and 2003. Windows 2000 supports up to twelve screens that way.

And that’s pretty cool. I don’t have enough space to have two screens, even my lcd screen fills my desk.

Yay ^^

Thank you so much, gonna go after an extra card tomorrow :yipee:

Wow, what a convienience. My parents and i were discussing this.

Originally posted by Sinistral
It’s not really that expensive. The video card can be pricey, but as I said in some other thread, when you consider how long you’ll use it and if you do the proper shopping the cost is very manageable. The cabling you need can be found for like 30 dollars over the 'net, and the second monitor is from one of my dad’s scrounges, it didn’t cost extra from my end.

And yes, I’m a nerd. But a nerd with DUAL MONITORS!

Originally posted by ClothHat
Mine’s only a 1.4 Ghz. It’s actually starting to show its age, but I think I can get another 1-3 years out of it before I start saving for the next new computer.

Also, now I can watch both the chat and the forums <i>at the same time!</i> Evil doers, take care!