DSL

As some know, I’ve just received DSL in my household about 2 days ago, and it’s been pretty awesome. I can do stuff like download files bigger than 10mb w/o hassle and play MMOs without lagging myself to death.

However, I’m having a little problem. It’s not too bad, but I just need some confirmation on this: For some reason, my dsl will sometimes randomly disconnect for about 10 seconds, and then reconnect again. It’s not that big of a problem, but when you’re in the middle of a online game, it’s quite the nuisance.

Now, I’ve heard a lot of my friends with DSL say that it’s perfectly normal for the first few days of having DSL, and that the disconnects will disappear after the line has had time to optimize with the provider. It seems like a fine explanation, but I wouldn’t mind having ya’ll opinion.

If it is important, I have SBC Yahoo DSL.

Thanks,
CtM

I had this problem with my Comcast cable when i first got it too. I still have issues every once in awhile like this.

We have a <a href=“http://agora.rpgclassics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45”>tech-support forum</a> now, also. Not being mean or anything, just pointing it out.

If you’re using the same line for DSL and the phone (like I do) it’s possible there’s an interference between the two. In some of these cases a filter may help.

Yeah, all my phones have filters on 'em.

DSL speed and even serviceability depend directly on the distance to the phone company. If you’re towards the end of that zone, you may get intermittent signal interuption. Also, it could be that in your area it’s sattelite sunspot season, where sunspots can temporarily override your ISP’s sattelite’s transmissions.

Some explanations are possible. First, your connection is bad, and you will constantly get this interruptions. Second, your company is having some technical problems atm which could be solved soon. Third, maybe it’s just a “starting problem”, because your line could use rate-adaptive DSL and therefore have problems finding the appropriate rate at the beginning.
I, personally, don’t have these problems because Deutsche Telekom will not assign you a DSL connection if your line is too bad, simply to avoid such problems. Plus they are pretty reliable.

Update: Well, it’s been a week, and my rate-adaptive dsl still suffers the same problem. I’ve had a billion line tests done all saying that its perfect and the signal strength is excellent. A technician came out last saturday; he was stupid. All he did was give me a new modem and said: “If you still have problems call tech support again.” Like I need to be rerouted back to India another 5 times. They should be sending another in the next few days.

As bad as the tech support is, I still love it more than dialup.