DQ IV Thread

While it is sad that they have taken out party talk it was probably for the best since a it would’ve doubled the amount of dialog that needed to be translated which in turn would’ve dragged out the time and costs needed for the localization. Also since everyone spoke with different accents it could’ve gone overboard very easily with the amount of detail needed to remain consistent.

Originally Posted by deathstryke
They nerfed poker. You can only bet 10 at a time now. The monster fights are fairly lucrative, though it’s easy to lose your shirt on them, as well.

Actually, I’m pretty sure that you could only bet up to ten tokens in poker in the NES version as well.

Yes, but it would have also made the game a lot more interesting.

I’m just on the first chapter, but the “accents” are driving me crazy. I dread talking to NPCs just because of it. DQ4 so far is my least favorite DQ, but it is ok so far. I never made it past the second chapter since I could never put up with enough grinding to get strong enough to beat the series of battles at the end of the chapter (it didn’t help that Ragnar wears pink).

I don’t understand the trouble people are having with the accents. “Bairn” has to be something like “child” just by context. Never seen the word before DQIV. I found the Russian amusing.

I must go now and find someone to massage MY GIGANTIC BRAIN.

Confession time: I’ve never played a lot, let alone beaten, a Dragon Quest game. Didn’t have a playstation for the last of the series, I tried the first one (and a bit the third) and I couldn’t stand pressing A to bringing up the whole six-option menu (Two keystrokes for talking? Don’t wanna talk to you), I tried DQV (?) and found it a bit bare and slow and DQVI looked great, but by the time the translation was finished I couldn’t really be bothered. Nice intro though.

When they announced the remakes, my first thought was grabbing DQVI, but I read in a review that DQIV was rather fast-paced, so I decided to pick it up and finally played a bit yesterday. I’m in chapter 1, almost managed to die before saving the first time (“come on, just one battle to level up!”) and actually did, only to get resurrected with full XP (and money?) to my last/first save point. Jolly good fun till now. And after the first reaction, the Scottish parlance is fun.

Usually you lose half the coins you were carrying if your whole party dies.

—Sinistral----

Man this game is so easy. There is a heal spot in the tower at the end of the first chapter and the quick save doesn’t go away when you load it, making it a save anywhere-anytime. I found the term “bairns” hilarious.

Ah, thanks for the info. Not that I had a plan to be die repeatedly.

I barely beat the Chapter 1 boss last night. Was doing pretty good then Healie died, and I managed to finish the fight with 3 HP left. On another note, I am having a pretty fun time playing it. At least now I can devote more time to it since I beat Tales of Phantasia (PSX) today. I have to say that was a much better game than the SNES version.

As per the dying thing, you usually lose money when your party dies. Hmm…I’ll have to check into that later.

Edit: Found out the money thing. Apparently, if you’re have the Steel Strongbox in your bag, you don’t lose money when you die!

I remembered seeing an NPC in an inn that looked like a DQ version of Sephiroth, but I can’t remember which chapter it was… does anyone else know?

—Sin—

That’s probably Psaro

I remember that. Yeah, it’s Psaro. Kinda ironic since he says he’s a wandering poet who got lost. Not many poets I’m aware of travel around looking that and armed with a sword. Not to mention the army of monsters he brings with him shortly…

I know that it’s Psaro since I’ve seen the dream in Strathbaile and visited Diabolic Hall. I think it’s funny how they made him look that way for this game. I was just trying to remember which character I was playing at the time.

So I’ve beat the game this morning, and I’m working on the bonus dungeon now. Bonus bosses are hard :frowning: I’ll post a mini-review later tonight or tomorrow.

Actually, while I haven’t seen how he looks in the DS version yet, Saro always looked likda Sephiroth-ish when you see the art for the NES game. He looks more like Magus than Seph though, (or rather, Magus looks like him? They’re both Toriyama designs)

@Vicki: I think it’s Chapter 2 that you’re referring to since (in the NES version at least) he nearly participates in the tourney, plus there’s that Golden Bracelet fetch quest that occurs around that point of the game which is an important plot element.