Does killing this fucking comp count as murder?

As anyone who’s been in chat since between now and 4 am has noticed, this damn thing has started to hate me. So I restart in safe mode and run spybot (finds a DSO exploit), ad aware (finds 34 things, mostly cookies but also a few registry wierdnesses), and then defragged the fucker for good measure. Usually those steps, in conjunction with letting the comp sit for a few minutes, are enough to stop this thing from randomly deciding that the internet connection is a resource it can live without and breaking it temporarily. I hate this sonuvabitch.

On that note: we need a good furious smilie.

What kind of connection do you have?

dsl through sbc. It seems to be too good for this computer, so if the system resources aren’t high enough, shit like this happens. Usually the download rate benchmarks at 1.544 Mbps and upload at 256 Kbps.

I’m tempted to run gwscan on the piece of shit (again), I hope it doesn’t come to that.

I’m gonna use this thread for some for myself, as well.

Whenever I try running any game on-line (StarCraft mostly), I get a “waiting for a response from the server” which never happens, so it boots me off. Also, during games, I’ll be booted from the server (won’t actually disconnect until end of game). And I don’t know if this is related, but AIM tends to sign me on/off a lot by itself.

And another thing, my sound is all messed. Yesterday, it was fine. Today I boot up and it’s all weird. Some semblance of normality can be made from turning the equalizer thing (controls which speaker emits more noise) all the way left or right, but then another part of the song will mess up.

/me chainguns comp
dammit, didn’t work.
/me uses flamethrower on comp
fuck it
/me sledgehammer

that didn’t work either. Guess I’ll put it back in safe mode, try a few more things, and do some shrining while I wait.

Phoerret, are you using a 56K connection? My computer has a 56K modem which doubles as a sound board. I used it before switching to DSL and I had all the same problems.

As for your problem, Stryke, I think you should contact your ISP.

They just say “unplug everything, wait 30 seconds and try again”. I’ve called them numerous times. It is definitely an issue with this shitty machine, as the disconnects always occur when system resources fall below 75% or so. So far, after 2 long (5 minutes or so) shutdowns and a safe mode norton run (it says I’m clean) in between, things are running decent. Haven’t tried getting on chat yet though. I take that back, connection dropped in the middle of posting this.

I use cable through a router. This computer never had a 56K connection.

What router?

Update on my problem: I called sbc, the tech support guy was unable to get things working any better (it is apparently fine on their end, go fig.) so now they are going to make a housecall in the next 24 to 48 hours. Maybe things will work after that. Sometimes shit like this makes me doubt my choice in trades.

Netgear.

Just ‘Netgear’; no numbers or anything?

If/When robots, computers, etc. get AI will it be illegal then, or will they still be seen as pieces of property?

lol, are u like a second account of VideoSpirit