Does anyone agree with me about Marche..?

Yeah, Marche, that kid from FFTA. The valiant hero of the tale.

I think he’s a jerk, and one of the conceited and selfish people in a video game; at least for a main character.

[spoiler]I’m at the battle against Ritz, which I hear isn’t that far from the final battle, and I still haven’t budged from my belief that Marche doesn’t seem to care that much for anyone else besides himself. He’s willing to destroy an entire world just so he can go home, and lead a crappy life. I can’t blame Ritz and the others for wanting to try to stop him. He himself doesn’t really give much of a good reason for wanting to tear apart an own world just for his own desire to return, and what about Doned? Alright, so he is nearly as selfish as Marche, but I can sympathize with him somewhat, I mean, the kid hasn’t been able to walk nearly all his life. Why would Marche want to bring him back to a life confined to a wheelchair?I understand that the moral of the whole story is that too much fantasy can be a bad thing, (“Don’t you see? It’s escapism! It’s not healthy!”, as Marche puts it) but why tear apart a whole world, tear some people from the only glint of happiness they’ve ever had just because of you want to go back?

Except for Ritz, I mean come on. You want to stay because of your hair color?

Please, that makes the orphanage scene in FFVIII seem like a touching scene opposed to a poorly executed and thought out plot device.[[/spoiler]

Originally posted by Mullenkamp
Please, that makes the orphanage scene in FFVIII seem like a touching scene opposed to a poorly executed and thought out plot device.[[/spoiler]

fangirl scream What?! That was the most beautiful and elegant, not to mention heart wrenching scene in the entire latter FF’s! Rinoa gets left out and has to shut up for once!

Ok I’m being mean. Forgive me Rinoa lovers, for I have sinned -_-;;

(sorry this has nothing to do with your topic, but I had to add something)

I dont think marche is selfesh and conceited. Hes just your average main character.

Originally posted by Evangelion
Rinoa gets left out and has to shut up for once!

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Marche is just homesick, like anyone else would be. I could understand why he would want to leave Ivalice.

You forget, Mullenkamp, that Ivalice wasn’t a REAL world- it was a PART of Earth that was transformed WITHOUT THE INHABITANTS’ PERMISSION! I know it wasn’t done intentionally, but still, it was unfair to do. Sure it was nice for those who got their loved ones back, or who got to walk, but what about those who got turned into Bangaas or zombies? (like the bullies from the snowfight- they’re the zombies in one of the missions! Did they really deserve THAT?)
I’ll agree, however, that Marche wasn’t thinking the whole thing thru- he just wanted to go home. But, he’s a LITTLE kid, he’d been thrown into a situation that would baffle most people, AND HE HAD BEEN TAKEN AWAY FROM HIS FAMILY! Can we really blame him? At least he wondered about what he was doing a few times…

Originally posted by Wilfredo Martinez
You forget, Mullenkamp, that Ivalice wasn’t a REAL world- it was a PART of Earth that was transformed WITHOUT THE INHABITANTS’ PERMISSION! I know it wasn’t done intentionally, but still, it was unfair to do. Sure it was nice for those who got their loved ones back, or who got to walk, but what about those who got turned into Bangaas or zombies? (like the bullies from the snowfight- they’re the zombies in one of the missions! Did they really deserve THAT?)
I’ll agree, however, that Marche wasn’t thinking the whole thing thru- he just wanted to go home. But, he’s a LITTLE kid, he’d been thrown into a situation that would baffle most people, AND HE HAD BEEN TAKEN AWAY FROM HIS FAMILY! Can we really blame him? At least he wondered about what he was doing a few times…

I agree, had I been in his situation I would have tried to get home as well. Also I think he is thinking about “the big picture”, the more you get involved in this dream-world the more it will sting when it comes apart.

I think that Marche likes this new world, but he still knows that it is not real. And I guess it must make it feel like a dream to him. And no matter how good the dream we all must eventually wake up, and deal with what is wrong in the real world, no matter what the cost.

Let’s put it this way. If you saw your friend stuck in a VR simulator which gave him everything he ever wanted, but you knew that it was all fake, would you just let him stew there for the rest of his life?

Obviously it depends on what kind of person you are, but I personally would probably try to get him off of it.

Frankly, I don’t think Marche is homesick. Marche didn’t have such a great life over in the real world. His parents were separated, he was picked on in school, his invalid of a brother monopolized his mother’s time. But he knows that there’s life, and then there’s games, and even if the games are nicer than life, he knows that they can’t replace it.

Whoa, this is sounding like the most moralistic FF ever. I gotta play FFTA sometime.

If you could hear Marche talk, he’d sound like Ash from pokemon. I’m sorry, but… but… nevermind.

It would be hard for me to be in Marche’s shoes. I’d love it there. And you do have to remember that this transformed the whole world and you really didn’t have to wake up if you didn’t want. I think that if Marche had both of his parents with him in Ivalice, happy and together, he would’ve given into the ‘dream’ to. It wasn’t just a fake reality, but reality itself, all the power in their hands to do what they wanted with the world. I do Think it was the noble and right thing for Marche to destroy Ivalice, becuase without hardships and trials in life, we never grow. If we always got our way we’d be spoiled and babyish, kinda like mewt gets.

Originally posted by BahamutXero
Whoa, this is sounding like the most moralistic FF ever. I gotta play FFTA sometime.

You might as well, but just because the story is moralistic doesn’t mean it’s very good, which, IMO, it isn’t.

Granted, I haven’t played the entire game, but I don’t plan on it. The story wasn’t good enough to keep me going through the not as good as the original FFT gameplay. I’ve gotten the rest of it from a friend, and basically, it still doesn’t sound that earth shattering to me anyways. The writing was terrible.
Three examples:

1. They were trying to make Ritz sound smart, but she came off as a raging feminist. She made a statement, “Books are too predictable, I play video games instead”. Now, what on earth would make that statement true? I mean, it all depends on the book/game you’re playing. I know it seems rather minute, but it kind of bugged me.

2. When a kid in a wheelchair makes fun of his brother for being bad at sports, you begin to realize how little thought was put into the dialogue.

3. The paradox of the illegal production of anti law cards. Think about it.

As you can tell, I was rather disappointed by the game

1. You looked into it too deeply. They weren’t trying to make Ritz look like a raging feminist, but rather, a semi-immature, judgemental teenager; which she is. She was made to be Marche’s primary means of worry and sorrow through the whole ordeal…even if she had a terrible reason for wanting to stay.

2. Come on now, they’re brothers. Brothers. Brothers say things about each other, brothers joke about each other. Besides, it’s not like Doned said he was better than Marche at sports, which would’ve been stupid, but probably intended as a joke. Marche isn’t good at sports anyways, or so says someone else at some point or another I believe…I’m not sure.

3. Yeah…so?

Come one, the writing really wasn’t that bad. What really matters is, they managed to keep the really important scenes intact; the conversations with Babus, Marche’s sadness about realizing that Ritz isn’t exactly on his side. Oh, and it’s not like FFT had the best writing either. Or rather, the translators made some really…really bad mistakes. I can’t remember the “bag of gold” one or something like that, but it’s actually pretty infamous.

Darn Wilfredo, you brought the only thing that really seemed to tackle down what I think of him. While all 4 of the kids grant a wish to make the world (even though I still don’t understand what that book was…) whole, Mewt, for whatever reason gains all power over it. So the people were probably turned into what resembled their hearts…but once again, Mewt, and for that matter, no one else should have the power to judge someone, and change their life totally based on their decision.

Hey…I think I might know what the whole thing with the judge’s is about now…

One last thing: Why did the translation cut off some of the more interesting things about the characters? Or change a scene to where it leaves a slight question mark? For example, when Ritz was telling Mewt about Marche’s dad, the sentence is supposed to end with how his parents divorced or what not. And that whole scene with Mewt’s dad is supposed to happen becuase he was drunk at the bar and he got kicked or something like that. Of course, it was semi-obvious to put two and two together. It’s not that big of a deal though…I just wonder why they took it out.

Originally posted by Evangelion
Rinoa gets left out and has to shut up for once!

I so totally agree o.o" I just can’t stand Rinoa. It pisses me off that I’m as mean to her as I can be, but she and Squall still fall in love at the end >:| I would just love to kill her off. Quistie- power! :smiley:

Originally posted by Dragon Tear
I so totally agree o.o" I just can’t stand Rinoa. It pisses me off that I’m as mean to her as I can be, but she and Squall still fall in love at the end >:| I would just love to kill her off. Quistie- power! :smiley:
Aww, I love Rinoa.

Originally posted by Sohee
Aww, I love Rinoa.

I liked using her.
She did get on my nerves sometimes.

Originally posted by Gizamaluke
I liked using her.
She did get on my nerves sometimes.

Her only good attack was her Angel Wing Limit Break. Leave only 1 Meteor in her magic inventory and she’ll go to town on everyone.

It’s not that I don’t like him. Yes, he is just an ignorant child that thinks his way is the only right one… but he is cute! (sometimes he looks like Eleanor (Tactics Ogre), don’t you think, too?)

Of course I would stay in the fantasy world if I was him, but as I already said: he is ignorant and naiv…

Hes just your average main character

I think the FF series should start to move away from the “woe is me”/“leave me alone” personalities of the main characters. They’ve all done it since FFVII.