District 9

Arac: Wrong, on both counts. I would enlighten you, but I just realized that the ads on the Agora have suddenly started featuring CGI babes kissing, and can’t be bothered with natter right now. :hahaha;

I found it to be a modern, and more realistic, version of an old Outer Limits episode. The general plot is the same for the most part. Aliens crash land on Earth and are segregated. Some are integrated into human society, but as slaves. A rich human owns one and has a hunting accident. These aliens have healig abilities, but the result of using them on humans means transforming them into an alien.

This movie goes into more detail about what would happen, not glossing over the fact that we are very xenophobic, no matter which country we come from. All-in-all, very good social commentary, as was mentioned before.

The addition of Half Life inpired aliens and weapons doesn’t hurt either.

I may not have expressed the sentiment well, but you once said “[Watchmen]'s certainly not to my liking. Too dark. I’m talking everything from rape to murder to betrayal to failure of heroism,” which is basically what I was trying to get at. The extreme moral fallibility of the characters seems to be mainly what you disliked, since all of those stem from that. There was murder and betrayal in Silver Age comics, like Spider Man, it’s just that the heroes weren’t the ones to break and do it.

Arac: Normally, I’d happily explain and debate my points. But today I’m just feeling drained. :thud: That, and I really don’t want to think anymore about this movie. It seriously disturbs me in many levels.

For all I know, I may catch it years later -on TV, most likely- and actually find it watchable, even interesting. But right now? No. So… last post of mine in this thread. I owe you for later OK? Kthxbye.

Fuck District 9, fuck G-force, and fuck GI joe. Why don’t we just watch Titan AE? I never saw it.

Saw it yesterday. It was excellent.

I’ll see if I can drag my family to it tomorrow… seriously though, they need to advertise this shit better. Watching the trailers for it, I would have just pegged it off as another crap action movie.

I saw it last night with my girlfriend we both enjoyed it. It was pretty depressing for the most part, and Wikus is pretty hateable up until the end.

There are some funny parts in the beginning. Like when they’re interviewing all the people and they’re talking about how the aliens steal from them. Or the fact that for whatever reason the aliens love cat food.

That was my favourite part.

I noticed that, too; there’s also the fact that the only really important black character was a criminal and an animist.

I think my expectations were too high from the praise, here. I liked it, but it really wasn’t so good as it could have been.

Yeah I think I enjoyed it as much as I did because I went in with very little expectations and heard very little about it. Still, would have been good regardless.

Maybe that is the key to making a good movie.

What, to not tell anyone about it and make it so no one has any expectations? I would imagine that would go horrible in the wrong hands. They key to making a good movie has nothing to do with the marketing of it… that only relates to the commercial success of it.