Disgaea dub

I disagree with Zero, actually. While in some cases the English Dub managed to be funnier than the Japanese dub, I don’t think it was funnier overall.

Of course, I didn’t think it was BAD either. (except for Flonne’s voice, I hated her English VA) What they did with Thursday was a <i>completely</i> different voice for his NA voice. Being a robot he has a feminine-sounding voice ni the Japanese dub, and a metallic male voice in the NA dub. But with Thursday it works good either way. Gordon’s english voice is undeniably cheesey, and personally, I think his Japanese VA does a better job of pulling off the ‘heroic idiot’ persona. Etna is spot-on, as many have said, and Mid-Boss is well done as well.

I just wish they did a complete job on the battle voices, instead of only translating the main cast, and some of the units. It’s awkward to have your male fighter shout something in english, then a female fighter shouts in japanese.

Bottom line, the english dub certainly won’t ruin the game for ya. Disgaea is just too good for that. And as has been said, you CAN turn the voices off as well.

The only thing I didn’t like about the dub was the laughing.

“HA…HAHAHAHAHA!”

But beyond that, all the voices are very well picked and performed.

What!? I am no mid-boss! I am the Dark Adonis Vyers!

You just keep telling yourself that, Mid-Boss.

Ok, you know my stance on english voice acting, so of course I think you’re dumb to say this :stuck_out_tongue: Lemme repeat: It’s the fault of the voice directors, not the voice actors. :stuck_out_tongue: I’ve heard some great voice actors do some terrible dubs. And no, it’s not shit that they did in their early days or something. It’s just a matter of what they’re asked to do, and if what they’re asked to do is crappy, then that’s the brakes. It probly is bad in Japanese. So, if it sounds bad in both languages, I’d rather understand it if anything :stuck_out_tongue:

That being said, the voice dub is very good. If you don’t like it, then, I’d seriously have to doubt your taste in english voice acting from now on. :stuck_out_tongue: The main characters consists Naota from FLCL, and Rei from Evangelion, which I doubt you can deny are excellent voice actors unless you’ve just flat out refused to hear the english audio for both of those animes. Besides, if you listened in japanese, half of it wouldn’t be funny, since it’s all just jokes anyways, and the inflections and stuff on the voice make a big difference.

…Of course, if you asked me, I’d tell you to just get a different game to begin with, but, you like Fire Emblem, so I guess it can’t be helped :stuck_out_tongue: Oh well, I don’t deny that it’s worth it to play through once. :smiley:

I’ve grown up with German television, and they dub EVERYTHING, not even trying to get the lip-sync right. It works alright with cartoons, but trust me, Will Smith in German is a nightmare. So I don’t mind voice-acting that much, really… I’ve been hardened.
Well, enough talk! bounces off to buy Disgaea

weeps for I have no PS2

And like I told you, I don’t care whose fault it is, the bottomline is that it’s bad :stuck_out_tongue: Also, as Spoony pointed out, they completely changed some of the voices for this particular dub, so yeah :stuck_out_tongue:

Wah wah, shut up :stuck_out_tongue: I know a good english dub when I hear one :stuck_out_tongue: Besides, you know the main reason why they do that usually, is because there usually isn’t a voice equivalent in that particular language/accent. There are some languages, where you hear someone’s voice, and you think “Oh, that sounds like this person”, but there are always a few voices where you think “You know, no one sounds like that.” That occurs in voice actors too, and sometimes it’s that attempt to mimic a different voice that ends up in making a crappy audio.

I know, I’m just saying :stuck_out_tongue:

I also said for you to get the game anyway, TD :wink:

It ain’t like the dubbing will make you not want to play it. The only two voices I REALLY had a problem with were Flonne and Thursday. And I don’t care what SG says, I believe Flonne’s was a result of poor voice selection. Her ACTING was fine, but her VOICE was <i>horrid</i>. And Thursday, because of the drastic shift. But I can see WHY they did that. It is typical for AI to have a female voice in Japanese works if the gender of the robot is unspecified, whereas it is more typical for the robot to have a ‘DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!’-esque voice in North America. They just did it to make it fit, so it ain’t all bad.

Well, I already decided to get it anyway. I just figured out yesterday that I can’t return to my old summer job (yet), so I’m trying to find work to get it.

Well, I can see why most people find Flonne’s voice annoying. But, I didn’t think much of it, since I think it fits the character well, and I feel like, since the majority of the game’s humour is parody on anime and american TV anyways, a lot of the characters fit some ridiculous stereotypes, and Flonne’s voice fits her character’s stereotype very well. Oh well, it’s just a matter of opinion though. :smiley:

Anyways, TD. It is my verdict that you’ll like the English dub. It really is good man, so don’t sweat it.