Digital Cameras

As some of you may or may not know, I will be leaving to live in Paris, France for the next three to six months. In order to capture my experience, i decided to purchase a digital camera for the trip. I’d always wanted one, and I have multiple film cameras, but I think a digital camera will allow me much more flexibility while I’m over there, since I’ll be there so long. Anyway, the camera I decided to go with is the <a href=“http://konicaminolta.com/products/consumer/digital_camera/dimage/dimage-a2/index.html”>Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2</a>. Admittedly, it might be a bit hardcore for a first time digital camera, but I had the money…so why not?

Anyway, a few questions. First, for any of you who have been to Paris or anywhere in France, any reccomendations on places to go (other than the obvious) or things to take pictures of? Also, I know a lot of you probably have digital cameras yourself and have had them longer for me. What kinds do you have, and any tips on using them?

A new laptop AND a digital camera? Where did you buy them, the neeeeeeerd store?

<a href=“http://www.rpgclassics.com/staff/charlemagne/Zepp2.mp3”>The Nerd Store</a>

and I guess, yeah, I bought them on the internet. I guess that’s the biggest nerd store of all.

Well first of all, you’re not going to be using your camera at full capacity that much. I’d recommend using it in a 3 or 4 megapixel setting for most of your shots, so as to keep your memory from filling up after one shot.

Speaking of memory, you’ve only got 64 Megabites of memory included in this thing. You should go and buy another card. A single raw 8 MP picture is over 11 megs. You’ll fill up your built in memory before you know it. I’d say go with a 256 MB card at least, that way you’ll be able to get a few extremely high quality shots.

Oh, and never ever ever ever ever use your digital zoom, because you might as well smear feces all over your picture instead, and at least that has texture.

Man, you never sleep or what?

The last digital camera I used was a Canon PowerShot A75. I mostly only used Canons, so I have no idea about the one you have. It sounds like a semi-professional model. The two basic options I think are useful are the action mode (when you’re in a car or walking) and the flower thing for very close shots. Yeah, my wording sucks, but I don’t know how those options are called. :stuck_out_tongue: Even though they’re very basic, I was surprised at how many people weren’t aware they existed. Perhaps it’s just because I only know stupid people? Whatever. :stuck_out_tongue:

As for Paris or France, I never went there, so I don’t know why I’m bothering to post now. I know many people (who speak French just as good as me) who visited it and they’ve all been asked “Alors, vous venez ici pour apprendre le français?” …Get it? It’s supposed to be funny, haha. Anyway. I hope you’ll buy a beret and take a picture of yourself.

yeah I bought a 1gig sandisk ultra II CF card <_< lots of picz0rs.

And right now my sleep schedule is SO fucked up from being unemployed and out of school for two months…I’ve been waking up at like 6PM. But yeah, I can’t wait to see the Frenchies respond to my poor french skills. At the least I’m not a self-conscious American who’d take offense at it, but rather I look forward to seeing a group of people as rude as I am.

If you need help practicing it (at least in writing), feel free to grab me, Wal or any other french-canadian. It’s the next best thing after european french.

Yes, I know I’m slightly off-topic, but I don’t have a Digital camera, nor can I afford one now. Oh… and take pics of the landscape(y’know, countryside) in France.

Then you’ll be pleasantly surprised and satisfied.

I Should remind you that the USA and Eu and GB Plugs are all differnt. and the Voltage is 240/220V… i think. I havn’t been out side the Uk much.

Digi zoom is like you getting a photo and making it larger in Paint. I know I had to reshoot a silly vid I did.

Big Nutter
You can set up the laptop to have the US and Fr layout in the language setting. (Low tech skills)

First off, I hope you enjoy your trip to Paris.

Secondly, I’m not exactly sure what brand my Digicam is. Make sure to bring a couple of extra batteries for it, though, and don’t put your finger over the lens.

Visit the museum at Invalides. As well as housing Napolean’s Tomb it’s a pretty good war museum, with a few ice-cream/kebab shops and restautants nearby.

[obvious places]

About the best advice I can give is to not just see the main sights, but walk around the areas themselves as well, especially near the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame. There’s a ton of places and restaurants there that hardly ever show up on guidebooks that’re really good.

Oh, and don’t bother trying to take a decent picture of the Tower with it’s lights on at night. It’s useless. Same goes for trying to stand ‘under’ the Arc De Triomphe from down the street (I tried, 'cause it looks awesome). You’ll just get vague shaped. Paris is cool but not exactly camera-friendly.

That’s a nice looking camera.

The only thing I enjoyed about France was the departure. I state that with all honesty and no hint of my usual sarcasm.

i’d recommend visiting the netherlands… but you won’t fall for that right?

Southern France is the only good part of it.