Did someone close to you ever commit suicide?

I’m just curious. This freshman at my school committed suicide for unknown reasons. It boggles my mind because this kid wasn’t even old enough to have problems. Plus, its sad because he left behind quite a few friends.

Makes you think, ya know?

No one close to me has committed suicide and im happy that they havent. by the way were you one of his friends or did he seem like sumthin was wrong. and how did he do it?

Actually, I kinda knew him but I didn’t realize it until my sister came home from school and showed me her yearbook w/ a picture of the kid. She was crying because she was really close to him before he went to high school.

Life sux sometimes, but you get over it. Trust me, I would know

Wow the sucks especially for your sister

No, and I am glad they haven’t. Most of my friends are religious, so I don’t think I really have to worry about it though since my religion says sucide will bring you straight to hell. I just don’t understand how anyone could hate their life so much that they would want to kill themselves. Even if they had a really bad life, I just couldn’t kill myself and put all the people I love in that kind of situation.

Yeah but also trust US we would know. I think you’re forgetting what message board you’re participating in-many members here have their own shit and issues and depression going on, and though some of it valid, a lot of the reason behind it all is just because a good chunk of us are teenagers.

Sure life sucks sometimes, especially for all of us, so I think your “Trust me” comment is unecessary, it’s like you’re saying we’re doubting you for the original intention of your thread because we all have perfect lives. Life sucks for different reasons, things tend to get to some people more than others. I think it’s safe to say all of us here have had a bad day or fell into a slump at one point in time. Sorry i went off like this but I didn’t like the way you worded that.

And no, I haven’t had anyone close to me commit suicide though I do have a few friends who have tried. Personally, I really couldn’t care, because even though depression is an illness, it takes that person to actually cross that line and decide to end their life. This type of attitude once alienated me from a best friend of mine, and rightfully so, but we resolved our differences knowing we can’t change the way we think.

Sadly enough, a lot of adolescants commit suicide for no other reason than to be remembered, and because suicide is a trend. it creates so much controversy and unity and it gets people talking. Some people who kill themselves don’t even have a “good” reason to, or they’re not depressed.

Maybe you believe the kid wasn’t the right age to have problems, but maybe he had his reasons. You just say you kinda knew him, so you probably don’t know if he did have a valid reason or not though any reason is valid in a suicidal’s mind. And depression can strike at any age, within reason. There is no such time when you wake up and think “Well I think I’m elligable to become depressed today.”

EDIT-

Originally posted by Ness The Earth Bound Hereo
No, and I am glad they haven’t. Most of my friends are religious, so I don’t think I really have to worry about it though since my religion says sucide will bring you straight to hell. I just don’t understand how anyone could hate their life so much that they would want to kill themselves. Even if they had a really bad life, I just couldn’t kill myself and put all the people I love in that kind of situation.

Oh for crying out loud, then I’ll look at it from a religious POV…suicide doesn’t make you unholy or unpure nor does it send you to hell regardless of if you were a saint or not. Your friends need to learn how not to think so ridiculously. if they’re truely religious they’ll know God is merciful and forgiving.
Being suicidal is a disease and most often it rules people’s lives, thoughts and behavior. Remember, wanting to kill yourself is NOT normal nor “a growing phase” so with this affliction you are prone to acting against your “nature” so to speak. it fucks you up, basically.

And yeah, though I can’t relate to those who want to/kill themselves (though I’ve had a few weak instances, not enough though to influence me to just give up) I do understand that people like that have their reasons. What may be trivial to one may be disastrous to another. All about walking in another man’s shoes.

And I do realize that many of the people here are teens. However, I just kinda . . . I dunno . . . maybe because this kid had so much going for him and stuff. He didn’t even get through half of his first year of high school and he had so many friends.

And, as I think about it now, I do know the reasons he committed suicide. But, since I wasn’t close to him (he rode my bus and he was friends w/ my sister, as I mentioned) I can’t say they are entirely true.

I’m sorry to have offended you, but I never meant any harm with this thread.

This kid tryed to kill himself in my sci-tech class in front of me.

How Shinobi?

Slit his wrists with a razorblade. Didn’t even do it right. He slit them horizontally, but if you wanna do it right, you do it vertically. n00b.

Someone at my Highschool hanged himself at the begining of my junior year. He was a troubled guy. He messed himself up on drugs, didn’t care about school, and ran away from home his sophomore year. They booted him out for a year, but he came back. It was about three days into school when he killed himself. It may sound cruel, but I wasn’t affected by it. I didn’t know him that well, but alot of other people were affected. His sister came to school as a freshman the next year. I noticed she had some poem written about him. It was on the wall of the computer lab for some project they had to do with typing. She really was damaged by her brother’s suicide.

Wow, that’s sad.

:fungah:

Originally posted by Phantasy_Starlight
[b]And I do realize that many of the people here are teens. However, I just kinda . . . I dunno . . . maybe because this kid had so much going for him and stuff. He didn’t even get through half of his first year of high school and he had so many friends.

And, as I think about it now, I do know the reasons he committed suicide. But, since I wasn’t close to him (he rode my bus and he was friends w/ my sister, as I mentioned) I can’t say they are entirely true.

I’m sorry to have offended you, but I never meant any harm with this thread. [/b]

Nah never offended me at all, I was just informing. I like this type of discussion.

But one of my points was that it doesn’t matter what type of life you have, you’re still prone to kill yourself. I know that sounds ridiculous but people from all walks of life can feel traumatized or simply put “down” about something, it doesn’t have much to do with what they had going for them. It’s that incertainty that the things going for them will miss them that sets in and unerves people and that insecurity can lead to depression. That’s just an example though. Other people can get depressed because they’re bullied, because their parents aren’t supportive, or because they have the perfect life. It’s not uncommon. There are a lot of stereo typed misconseptions out there about suicidal tendencies, and I’m not really claiming to know a lot, but I’m speaking from what I DO know and what I have witnessed.

Yes, and let us leave it at that.

Sometimes life gets tough to the degree that people forget it passes. There’s not a lot we can do before, and there is even less afterwards. We’ll just have to live with it, and help those who considers suicide remember that it always passes.

Eva, in a religious light: suicide = murder = sin; so it kind of does make you unpure.

I fortunately have never had to endure someone else’s suicide. I’ve considered it myself at times, but never for very long or with any sort of action attached to it. One major reason for this was being taught to do so is immoral.

And we all know life sucks at times; you just have to decide at some point that you’re not going to let it bother you anymore and deal with the wretchedness.

Originally posted by demigod
Eva, in a religious light: suicide = murder = sin; so it kind of does make you unpure.

Well I don’t know much about the religious POV on suicide, but there would be other attributes that would get looked over other than taking your own life…there’s got to be.

Eva.
It’s religion. There are no loopholes. If there are, you’re immediately looked down upon for pointing them out.

Originally posted by Evangelion
Well I don’t know much about the religious POV on suicide, but there would be other attributes that would get looked over other than taking your own life…there’s got to be.

Agreed, but the taking of one’s own life will still be taken into account, whatever that may mean (assuming one believes in an afterlife).

There is no age limit for problems. To say that someone wasn’t “old enough to have any problems” is flagrant ignorance on your part - you said yourself you didn’t know him very well. Who are you to say he had no problems?

In light of the subject, my usual sprite will not be used. While nobody close to me has commited sucide, I was in the area of a suicide when it taken place. It happened eariler this year when I was with my brother and sister at the mall. You must note that this mall is four stories high and is located in downtown Indianapolis. Anyway, after checking out EB Games, we went inside Sam Goody to see if any good dvds were in, when all of sudden a number of people were gathering outside. I guess that while were inside the store that someone jumped off the fourth floor of the building and died instantly. While this had no direct impact on this alreadly horrible day (grandfather also died this day), it still something that you don’t forget about.