Did Bush earn a mandate?

anyone who lumps “gay marriage” as a “moral” issue is completely misguided. That’s a question of civil rights, and by labeling it as something electorally “moral” a mistake is made.

51% is hardly a mandate.

True, but according to legislation, it’s to be percieved as a mandate.

As far as gay marriage goes, it’s been proven by several instances of law (Canadian courts, American courts…hell, a lot of courts) that it’s anticonstitutional to make gay marriage illegal. The constitution cannot force the various religious groups to celebrate gay marriage, but civil union marriage is still an option.

Besides, the United Church celebrates gay marriages for those who are christian, so…(read an article about that in the local paper)

I think you’re confusing mandate with majority.

Semantically wise, I am, as the majority is this. However, the expression “giving a mandate” when we talk about legislation is technically correct, although we wish it wasn’t.

Grah, fine, forget the word mandate! The word mandate was never spoken, you never saw a thing! What I was wondering was whether or not we should be expecting a lot more Bushish legislation.

Like: Extend the lifespan on his tax cuts, revamp the legal system, appoint enough Supreme Court Justices to outlaw abortion, and (my favorite) “bring a wave of freedom across the Middle East.”