Deus Ex PS2 vs. PC

Yep, another thread that will die out quickly.

The sad truth is, I got the PS2 version of Deus Ex (also known as Deus Ex: The Conspiracy). I love the game. However, I took a look at some pics from the PC version, and noticed a few differences.

I was curious. Does anyone know what all of the differneces are between teh two versions? Here’s what I think I saw (I’m probably wrong):

*The PS2 version features several excellent CGI scenes. From the scene I saw in the now-dead Deus Ex shrine, the PC version showed the intro as a regular conversasion
*The PC version limits your inventory to only a couple things. The PS2 version has tabs for the different items, the ability to hold as many Low-Tech weapons as you feel like, and four slots for other weapons.
*Graphics in the PS2 version are supposed to have been “improved”, but if that’s the case, then the PC version must be the most hideous thing ever to be gazed upon.
*The IFF and that other always-active aug aren’t listed AT ALL in the PS2 version, despite the fact that their effects are still around.
*I pray that the PC version didn’t have to load every five minutes, because the PS2 version did. And it took about three minutes to load a new map, too.
*From what I heard, getting hit repeately in the same spot in the PC version made it more difficult to do certain things (such as aim and walk). The PS2 version doesn’t have this.
*I hate Navarra. I just had to put that here. I hate that bitch so much. Since she appears about an hour or so into the game, and doesn’t do much, I guess she doesn’t warrant a spoiler tag.

Can anyone help me with this?

I’ll answer things as best I can, keep in mind I haven’t played the PS2 one.

>*The PS2 version features several excellent CGI scenes. From the scene I saw in the now-dead Deus Ex shrine, the PC version showed the intro as a regular conversasion

Yeah in the PC version there were no cutscenes per se. The idea is probably to make you feel more like the character rather than just controlling him. But for conversations (very frequent in the game) and a few scripted sequences you would be pulled out of the first person view and see things from a different angle(s).

>*The PC version limits your inventory to only a couple things. The PS2 version has tabs for the different items, the ability to hold as many Low-Tech weapons as you feel like, and four slots for other weapons.

Yeah in the PC version you had a limited inventory space, akin to like Diablo 1 in some ways. I bet they changed that feature in the PS2 one to make things easier.

>*Graphics in the PS2 version are supposed to have been “improved”, but if that’s the case, then the PC version must be the most hideous thing ever to be gazed upon.

They might have been marginally improved compared to low-end computers, but I severely doubt the PS2 can rival what Deus Ex looked like on my 1.4 Ghz 512 RAM Geforce3 computer.

>*The IFF and that other always-active aug aren’t listed AT ALL in the PS2 version, despite the fact that their effects are still around.

That’s weird :stuck_out_tongue:

>*I pray that the PC version didn’t have to load every five minutes, because the PS2 version did. And it took about three minutes to load a new map, too.

The PC version had really good load times from what I remember. It would load an entire area at a time in a relatively timely fashion (15-45 seconds probably). The only irritating thing was when you were jumping from area to area quickly, like if you suddenly remembered forgetting something; then again that kind of issue crops up with a lot of games.

>*From what I heard, getting hit repeately in the same spot in the PC version made it more difficult to do certain things (such as aim and walk). The PS2 version doesn’t have this.

Yeah, if you got yours arms blown off for example you could fire weapons, or if you lost your legs you had to crawl. It was really neat :stuck_out_tongue:

>*I hate Navarra. I just had to put that here. I hate that bitch so much. Since she appears about an hour or so into the game, and doesn’t do much, I guess she doesn’t warrant a spoiler tag.

Navarre is quite the femme fatale, but don’t worry, she’ll be dealt with later :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, if you only had to play one version I’d strongly recommend the PC one, because it’d be easier to control, wouldn’t have those other changes, and would likely be in more line with the sequel than the PS2 iteration.

Originally posted by Merlin
Anyway, if you only had to play one version I’d strongly recommend the PC one, because it’d be easier to control, wouldn’t have those other changes, and would likely be in more line with the sequel than the PS2 iteration.

Better yet, the “Game of the Year” version of the PC game is supposed to have Multiplayer, map editors, and improved everything. However, the PS2 version is certainly good in its own right; the controls are actually easy if you’ve played other PS2 FPS games (I won’t blame you if you haven’t played any, since most of them suck ass), the story hasn’t been tampered with at all, and the commands supposadly make managing everything easier than the PC version.

And I’m still looking forward to Deus Ex 2. I hope my computer can run it, though, because the PS2 version aparantly got axed in favor of the XBox.

From what I’ve heard, the PS2 version had a far better intro theme song. There’s one plus for you!

But in all seriousness, Deus Ex for computer has a much sleaker interface than the PS2 version. From the main menu to Computers in the game, it all feels pretty well done.

The multiplayer is a major let down, though. No one hardly plays it. And the user made maps? shudders Let’s just say most of them need some work.

PC control methods for FPS’s will always be better. Joysticks just don’t have the precision, unless you are a) insanely talented, b) spend five mins setting up a shot, or c) have some degree of auto-aim. Which is cheating. Plus PC graphocs are always better.

Deus Ex: Invisible War gets released this year as well, and it looks like it could blow the first one away, as long as they don’t do an ‘Unreal 2’. The storyline looks deeper (if that’s possible) and they basically look like they took the first one, tore it apart, and rebuilt it to look fantastic. Everyone dresses in black leather as well. A definate plus. ^_-

I dunno, that PC Deus Ex theme was frikkin’ kickass…

It was very John Williams…:slight_smile:

put on sunglasses, turn off the lights and say in a completly neutral, constant ton of voice. Just like J.C.!

My vision is augmented.

puts on a tie and black trenchcoat, and says, in a cold, professional tone, just like Simmons.

You might be intrested to know that I have the same augmentations as you.

Only I have a higher upgrade of the basic firmware.

Pits on a grey suit, black sunglasses, and a tieclip. Just like Agent Smith

Mr Glenton! Surprised to see me?

Who cares about Deus Ex 1? Number 2 is coming to XBOX and Pc! And it looks amazing! :hyperven: