Damn legal drinking age

Originally posted by BahamutXero
I’m in the “I don’t see the point of drinking, alchohol doesn’t even taste good” category.

Ditto

DUI (Driving Under the Influence) is the more broadly defined term for DWI (Driving While Intoxicated) and includes drugs as well as alcohol.

Meanwhile, I believe that while drunk driving laws are too lax (have they lowered it to .08 yet in PA? The state with the most alcohol distributors of any state in the US, btw), the penalties for underage drinking are too severe. Why does the situation automatically determine that penalties are applied against a driver’s liscense/permit even if a vehicle isn’t involved. Hell, it’s not just consumption; they can bust you for something as negligible as carrying a closed case of beers from the trunk of your parents car to the house, regardless of who’s going to be drinking them. Stupid stuff.

Originally posted by Infonick
. Besides, tehre is no penalty now for not registering.

You can’t get federal student aid unless you register with selective services. At least, you can’t get the kind that the FAFSA form gets you.

For the record, I don’t really see any reason people shouldn’t be able to drink earlier on in their adolescence. I figure by the age of fourteen or so people can at least think if they apply themselves to the task.

Also for the record, I only see any reason for drinking at two times: 1) There are health benefits to be gained (people say light drinking of this-or-that is good for your heart or longevity, but the amounts and of what change every other month or so, or whenever a new study comes out. The jury’s still out on #1). 2) Extreme circumstances (I don’t know…everybody around you just died horribly or you’re in a war or something. Maybe this is still #1, but mental health instead).

Lastly, I don’t know whether it was effective or not, but Giuliani’s little “if you DUI we take your car” scheme in NYC made the little demon inside my head cackle with unclean glee when it was announced. Does anyone know if it had any effect on DUIs in the city?

Ooh, absolut Kurant… ah please gimme some…
i’m in love with that stuff…

Drinking is pretty fun. I recommend it to everyone, including the man that lives in the cellar… he’s the one that buys my liqour.
Well, the legal age is 19 over here, I think it’s fairly reasonable… I mean it’s not like it’s impossible to get liqour earlier than that anyways, so whatever. Although one thing that pisses me off about the age limit is that I can’t see good bands that play at this place cause they serve alcohol. Those swine!

that really sucks,

Mexico’s right next to here, so if a kid wants to get plastered underage they can just walk across the border. Most of the accidents that cause deaths around here are from drinking(or the driver was being dumb and was speeding while talking to his ex over the phone).
But overall, I don’t really care for alcohol. There’s not much of a reason for me to drink.

I’ll never have to worry about this…I can’t stand the taste of anything stronger than a Mike’s Hard Lemonade, and even THAT just barely.