D&D: How do I start?

I recently became in interested in trying D&D and I need to know what I need to start. Thanks in advance.:runaway:

The easiest way to learn Dungeons and Dragons is to find a group and ask to join. Many stores which deal in role-playing games have a bulletin board upon which dungeon masters and players post notices about games and the like. Make use of it.

As for actual game materials, as a player, you will need a copy of the Player’s Handbook and as at least one full set of polyhedral dice (four-, six-, eight-, twelve- and twenty-sided dice). As a novice player, I do not advise delving into any other books yet; you need a firm grasp of the rules. Also, stay away from books for the dungeon master (Dungeon Master Guide, Monstrous Manual, etc…).

Since it seems that this question is asked regularly in this forum, perhaps a sticky thread should be created in which deals with novice players. And perhaps Dragon Ninja might also consider creating a whole section of his website for novices (if one does not already exist).

Stay away from books for the dungeon master? Preposterous! Buy them if you feel inclined to pay the extra money.

The thing to stay away from is modules… leave those to the DM, lest you be branded a munchkin.

Also, if the DM starts at a higher level than normal, it may be nice to get the DMG so you know what magic items are available as starting equipment… and the requirements for prestige classes if you want to take one… and… and…

remembers Rule Number Zero

Check with your DM before creating your character.

Originally posted by Chris StarShade
Stay away from books for the dungeon master? Preposterous! Buy them if you feel inclined to pay the extra money.

How is that so? By looking in the Dungeon Master Guide, he can see how the techniques which a dungeon master employs, which in turn can ruin the fun of a game. So long as what lies in the Dungeon Master Guide and other books for the dungeon master remain a mystery, the game is much more exciting.

Originally posted by Chris StarShade
Also, if the DM starts at a higher level than normal, it may be nice to get the DMG so you know what magic items are available as starting equipment… and the requirements for prestige classes if you want to take one… and… and…

Then that dungeon master can offer the novice player some suggestions for magical items. As a dungeon master, I never allowed my players to look into magical item lists. The more they know, the less the game proved fun because there were fewer surprises.

Originally posted by Sir Percival
[b]How is that so? By looking in the Dungeon Master Guide, he can see how the techniques which a dungeon master employs, which in turn can ruin the fun of a game. So long as what lies in the Dungeon Master Guide and other books for the dungeon master remain a mystery, the game is much more exciting.

Then that dungeon master can offer the novice player some suggestions for magical items. As a dungeon master, I never allowed my players to look into magical item lists. The more they know, the less the game proved fun because there were fewer surprises. [/b]

I have to disagree. Most players, and I use myself as an example, don’t find the technical bits of the DMG all that interesting. Now the Magic Candy in the back of the book is interesting. It’s also necessary if you’re starting a character at say mid levels (10-12) That way you can get the right amount of equipment, both magical and mundane, for your character, so you don’t bite it.

Originally posted by The Pope
I have to disagree. Most players, and I use myself as an example, don’t find the technical bits of the DMG all that interesting. Now the Magic Candy in the back of the book is interesting. It’s also necessary if you’re starting a character at say mid levels (10-12) That way you can get the right amount of equipment, both magical and mundane, for your character, so you don’t bite it.

Well, if you are an experienced player, then having that book is not a problem. The player in question is a novice, though. If he should learn about too many magical items then, the mood of the game can be ruined because the player will know what kind of treasure to expect.

I should also start a novice player at level 1 and higher.

I would agree with Percivel though, best for the novice just focus on the Player’s Handbook rather than getting far too ahead with the much more complicated things; the goal is to learn and know the basics when being a novice, “gotta learn how to crawl before you can learn how to walk”:stuck_out_tongue:

I should also start a novice player at level 1 and higher.

I would think starting the novice player at low level would be best anywayz cuz if they start high then all they’re gonna focus on is just killing stuff and wanting to lvl up (a habit I’m trying to get some members I’m hosting games for to get out of, they’re novices too)