Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin killed

Man, but what a hardcore way to go out. Stingray straight to the heart while filming “dangerous animals of the coral reef”. This is going to make this guy a legend.

I have always said it would be fitting (and slightly humorous) to go out being eaten by a croc. I guess a stingray barb to the heart is the next “best” thing.

Well, I think it’s sad, but it is kinda funny too.
See, I’m like this - my coworker’s grandfather died, and he was found facedown in a pie. My first thought (and my coworker’s too) was “So, what kind of pie was it?”

Well, he went out a unique way. To my knowledge, not many people die by the actual barb.

He coulda been attacked by like, a whale shark.

Its not funny, its legendary.

So what kind of pie was it?

cough

It was apple.

Hell of a wrong-place-wrong-time kind of death.

Uh, no, he could not. A whale shark strives on plankton.

And if he lived in Georgia, it would’ve been pecan.

R.I.P Steve Irwin

I just herd that he had died this morning while getting ready for school. My sis came running up telling me what happend. What a way to go eh, stupid sting-ray!

How is it legendary? Legendary? People, Legendary is pretty high status. Taking a sting ray barb to the chest and surviving would be legendary. Dying is pretty, uh, generic.

Taking a stingray barb to the chest and surviving would be normal, it seems, judging by the obituary I read. QUOTE: “The venom usually only causes a very painful sting” in humans, not death. I suppose it’s because he was stung directly in the heart.

THat’s not legendary. That’s unusual, and unfortunate. Legendary would be if he, say, got bitten in two by a hippopotamus. THose thigns are DEADLY, lemme tell you.

Barbs on the sting ray of that size are often at least a foot in length, serrated, and, well, barbed, from what I understand. The poison didn’t kill him, the getting a long spike into his heart did. Just to make it clear, to the best of my understanding.

Plus, from what I heard, he either pulled it out of his heart, or started to, which, while innefectual (although not stupid, since he would’ve dyed either way), is damned hardcore, considering those barbs are designed to rip when they come out, not just slide. If he actually got it out, that’s seriously berserkergang shit. Bleeding out extremely quickly, you have the muscle control and strength remaining, not to mention the balls, to rip the offending implement out of your heart.

I totally agree with you, Arac. The man was a wonderous naturalist and unbelieveably brave. He was intelligent and died doing what he loved. He will be missed.

Shoot.

When I heard about it I almost cried. :open_mouth:

I feel sorry for his children, though. 8 and 2? Dayum. :frowning:

He was probably thinking his choices were be poisoned or bleed to death.

How can you not see it as being legendary? The guy died doing his passion… He fearlessly faced dangerous animals only to one day be cut down by one.

It’s very strange, though. He was killed by an animal that has only had three reported fatalities in the history of Australia, the last of which was in the 1940s. If this is the case, then you have to figure that the guy was probably doing something wrong.

Of course, if he DID rip out the barb, it probably wasn’t a very smart idea. If you keep a knife inside of your heart rather than pulling it out, you have a much higher survival rate. I don’t know if it is the same with something that could tear the heart rather than just puncture it, but I would imagine it would be similar.