Concerts

does anyone go to concerts often and if so, what concerts and how were your experiences?

here’s mine alphabetically :

36 Crazyfists,

Anthrax, A perfect Circle, Arch Enemy, American Head Charge, Agresion, Alice Cooper, Aborted, Amon Amarth, Antiproduct

Biohazard, Blindsight, Brainshake, Badly Preserved

Chimaira, Cradle of Filth

Deftones, Dew-Scented, Destruction, Dreadlock Pussy, Drowning Pool, Deicide, Doro, Dimmu Borgir, Death Angel

Fear Factory, Five Pointe 0, Finntroll

Glassjaw, Graveworm, Godsmack

Hatebreed,

Iron Maiden, Ill Nino, Immolation

Kittie, Korn, Killswitch Engage, Kill II This

Limp Bizkit, Lamb of God,

Machine Head, Metallica, Mastodon, Morbid Angel, Motorhead, Mushroomhead, Murderdolls, Madder Mortem

New Hazard, Nevermore, Nile

Otep, Opeth, Ozzy Osbourne

P Pro-Pain,

Rammstein

Sepultura, Soulfly, Slipknot, Spineshank, Stone Sour, Slayer, Smalltown Cynics, Scarve

Type O Negative, The Haunted, Tapping The Vein

Verona Beach, Vader

Within Temptation

most of my experiences were good especially Chimaira, Hatebreed, Dew-Scented & Destruction
but the best concert I’ve been to (until now) is definately
Machine Head in Amsterdam 10 July 2002 I’ll never forget it…

Cradle of Filth, Nile & Within Temptation sucked

and I probably have forgotten some but who cares?

I have been to a few, but two were truly worth it:

Edgefest ‘97 (August 1997): I Mother Earth, The Tea Party, Silverchair, Our Lady Peace, Collective Soul, Econoline Crush, Finger Eleven and others. A nice set of bands. Our Lady Peace was the final act and they really did it well.

Metallica (August 1998). Opening Bands: Days of the New, Jerry Cantrell. Decent. Metallica sounded the same live as they did on their albums. The mosh pit was a little too violent for me as well. Jerry Cantrell was an excellent opening show, though—he played plenty of old Alice In Chains songs.

Jane’s Addiction (November 2001). Opening bands: Stereo MCs. A very, very awesome show. Jane’s Addiction is just another wonderful band to see live. I failed to see the point of the gyrating scantily clad women dancing around on stage, though.

Soulbender (August 2002): A relatively unknown Seattle band with a strong Grunge and speed-metal influence.

Pearl Jam (May 2003). Opening bands: Idlewild. Thus far, this is the best concert which I have ever attended. Pearl Jam is just mind-blowing on stage and they just play and play and play. Idlewild, whom I had never heard beforehand, also proved an excellent opening act.

Primal Scream

Squarepusher

2 Many DJs

That is all. I am mostly concertless.

I only saw the Motorhead/Dio/Iron Maiden concert on my birthday. If I had money, I would see others. :stuck_out_tongue:

It was excellent except for Motorhead. I think Lemmy was drunk off his ass that day, so I can’t blame him TOO much. :stuck_out_tongue:

They Might Be Giants, 7 times. They fuckin rock!
Common Rotation, twice… I hate Common Rotation!

Godsmack is the only concert I’ve seen that’s note-worthy so far…Puddle of Mudd and Smile Empty Soul are playing sometime next month, and last week I heard that the tickets were going to be on sale for 20 bucks a pop. <p>
I headed to the record shop downtown when it just opened for business in the morning, and they hadn’t gotten the tickets yet…the dude there was talking to the ticket guy on his cellphone, and said that they were “on the way.” Well, I waited around for a while and was about to leave the store and come back in a few hours, when I saw this guy walk in, holding this itty-bitty handfull of oblong strips of paper. I swear, it couldn’t have been more than 100 tickets he was carrying, because the stack was no thicker than my looseleaf notebook.
Anyways, I was one of the first people to snag a ticket…can’t wait to see the concert. :smiley:

I’ve been to Summer Sanitarium once
Metallica
Limp Bizkit
Linkin Park
Deftones
Mudvayne

I haven’t been to many concerts, but I enjoyed most of them. I would bet money on the fact that some people will think my choices were absolute shit, but who cares, right?

Jimmy Buffett - 3 times (96, 97, and 98) - it’s not so much a conert as it is an experience. The tailgating is a huge part of what makes it great. It rained horribly for the second and third concerts, but it was still fun to get soaked to the skin. I’m definitely a Parrothead.

Dave Matthews Band - 2 times (98 and 99) - I am a huge DMB fan. I don’t remember the names of the opening bands, but I do know they were very good.

Deftones - 2000 - it was my only time at the House of Blues, and that aspect was fun. I liked the music, but often I felt the songs played followed the exact same formula, and that was disappointing. I went with my then-boyfriend and friends of his, so of course I wanted to go more than anything else in the whole wide world.

KoRn - 2000 - Staind opened, and I didn’t see the whole set, but what I did hear was okay (this was before they were played to death on the radio). I was there with my then-boyfriend and the same friends, so again of course I wanted to be there more than anything else in the whole wide world. I actually liked the Sick and Twisted animation show between bands the best. I wasn’t really into it though.

Barenaked Ladies - 2000 - (You guess the crowd, lol) Guster opened, and I’m a pretty big Guster fan. The concert was okay, as I’m not really into the featured attraction.

Fighting Gravity - 2001(?) - I went with a lot of friends from my fraternity, who knew the guys in the band. This one was very enjoyable. I believe The Clarks and another band whose name I can’t recall opened.

I wanted to see Our Lady Peace when they were in Chapel Hill a while back, but unfortunately I was ditched in the ticket-buying by someone who I used to think was nice.

Does the Dallas Symphony Orchestra count? :stuck_out_tongue:

Wow, |damage|, you have seen some very very good bands.

ah yeah I forgot Mudvayne, Sick of it all & Dropkick murphys

trillian: don’t you have automated ticketsales? like you order and they print it out

Gila: cause I live in holland… all I do is drink beer smoke dope and go to concerts…

this year is gonna be soooooow fucking kick-ass…

I already got tickets for :
Metallica/Slipknot/KoRn (amsterdam
Sick of It All (amsterdam)
Arch Enemy (Cologne)
Dropkick murphys (Tilburg)
Metalfest (tilburg) with Morbid Angel Chimaira a.o

and last but definately not least
Judas Priest (!) is gonna be playing at graspop this summer
I’m sooooo gonna be there

My experiences:

Dec 2000: Anger Management Tour
Opening Act: Sinistar(sucked ass)
2nd: DMX
3rd: Godsmack(Roxxor!)
Headliner: Limp Bizkit(suxor!)

Nov 2001: Family Values Tour
Opener: Deadsy(awesome cover of Tom Sawyer)
2nd: Static-X(Fucking rule live)
3rd: Linkin Park(awesome)
4th: Staind(mediocre live performance)
Headliner: Stone Temple Pilots(Roxxor!)

Oct 2002: Stone Temple Pilots(again)
It was FREE!!! My 1st mosh pit experience!!

Oct 2002: Pop Sux Tour
Opener: TRUSTCompany(not as bad as Sinistar, but close)
2nd: Disturbed(Roxxor!)
Headliner: Korn(awesome live)

There you have it.

Tour of the Rising Sum (Kool Haus, Toronto)
Sum 41, Not by Choice, Simple Plan. This was when I first realized that none of these bands have any talent, and that Sum 41 has a horrible singer.

Reel Big Fish w/ Zebrahead and The Matches (Denim Club, Guelph).
Reel Big Fish rocks live, and Zebrahead put on a decent set as well. Fun had by all.

Warped Tour 2003 (Barrie).
Warped tour is always awesome, and I got a chance to finally see Less than Jake, Mad Caddies, Dropkick Murphys and Rancid live. People threw bottles at Simple Plan. It was hilarious.

SARStock: The Rolling Stones, ACDC, Rush, and some other bands (Toronto).
I had to leave before the good bands came on because I almost got heat stroke :thud:. I think it was WAY to hot and WAY to crowded for that concert to be enjoyable, but it was really good for the city.

Dropkick Murphys w/ The Casualities and some other crappy bands (Kool Haus, Toronto).
Dropkick Murphys were awesome, and they took out the fence that divided the audience from the stage. People were jumping on and off all the time! Only complaint is that The Casualities are one of the loudest, angriest and most insanely stupid bands out there.

Here are the bands I’ve seen in concert (most of them multiple times so I won’t list dates and times). And the only ones I’m listing are the bands I enjoyed seeing, because quite frankly, a lot of the openers sucked.

Anthrax
Slayer
Ozzy
Black Sabbath
Alice Cooper
Blue Oyster Cult
Iron Maiden
Motorhead
Dream Theater
Queensryche
Judas Priest
Iced Earth
Megadeth
White Zombie
Exodus
Stone Temple Pilots
KISS
AC/DC
Fates Warning
Jerry Cantrell
Aerosmith

Originally posted by |Damage|
[b]
trillian: don’t you have automated ticketsales? like you order and they print it out

[/b]

Nope…reason being that the concert’s gonna be at a nighclub instead of at a stadium, theater, etc.

Originally posted by Rubicante
[b]Here are the bands I’ve seen in concert (most of them multiple times so I won’t list dates and times). And the only ones I’m listing are the bands I enjoyed seeing, because quite frankly, a lot of the openers sucked.

Anthrax
Slayer
Ozzy
Black Sabbath
Alice Cooper
Blue Oyster Cult
Iron Maiden
Motorhead
Dream Theater
Queensryche
Judas Priest
Iced Earth
Megadeth
White Zombie
Exodus
Stone Temple Pilots
KISS
AC/DC
Fates Warning
Jerry Cantrell
Aerosmith [/b]

DUDE, you’ve seen Megadeth, AND Exodus, AND Blue Oyster Cult, AND Black Sabath? Man, that’s so fucking cool.

I never went to a concert until 2001, but since then I’ve been going increasingly frequently. I see mostly lesser-known groups (Boston has a great indie scene), but here we go. Not in any order:

The Strokes (first concert I saw; it was cool but not as cool as the later ones I went to due to the size of the venue; opening acts were terrible)

Interpol (twice - I missed the Raveonettes though and they played on Conan the next night!! The second time I saw them Elefant opened for them, and I’ve really begun liking them since. They put on a great show)

Division of Laura Lee / Read Yellow / The Burning Brides (probably the best pure “concert” I’ve seen. Small dive, group of friends, front area, band 5 feet away, good openers, Division rawked)

The Flaming Lips (one of the best experiences of my life; I’ve never seen a group of people, much less a band, so honestly optimistic about life before; opening acts pretty lame)

The Starlight Mints (met the lead singer)

I’ll be seeing David Bowie March 30th, otherwise I’ll keep you posted :stuck_out_tongue:

Three seperate events:

Drowning Pool and Saliva, this was at a WWF event actually.

Avril Lavigne w/ Gob and Swollen Members

Bad Religion w/ The Casualties and Belvedere, best thing I ever went to in my life, period.

Originally posted by Trillian
Nope…reason being that the concert’s gonna be at a nighclub instead of at a stadium, theater, etc.

so? all concerts are automated here… and btw I hate stadium concerts… way too massive…

oh and yes I forgot Saliva… damnit my memory really sucks

and the bad side of living in the netherlands is that most of the time we only have one support act, or in best case two…
but we have a lot of small festivals so that more than makes up for it… and tickets are a lot cheaper here i think

Originally posted by Gila-Monster
DUDE, you’ve seen Megadeth, AND Exodus, AND Blue Oyster Cult, AND Black Sabath? Man, that’s so fucking cool.

Yes sir. And with the exception of Black Sabbath, all of them were here in Alaska. :slight_smile:

I just wish I would have had the chance to see Exodus before Paul Baloff died.