Computer question: partitions

I don’t know much about this… basically, here’s what I want to do. I’m running Windows XP on a (store-bought) computer. However, it’s starting to annoy me in that a bunch of programs that worked on my old computer no longer work now. Is it possible to cordon off a part of my computer and install Windows 98 on it (I still have the CD), and to be able to use it when I want to run a particular program and switch back when I don’t?

Yeah, it is. I’ve never made a dual-boot setup though, so uh, I’ll let someone else post how :stuck_out_tongue: XP also has a compatability mode, but I assume you’ve tried that already.

Yea, its possible to do. Right now im running a quad boot system with debian, winXP, win98, and fedora. =P

You can do it with a nice clean and easy to use program like <a href=“http://www.symantecstore.com/dr/sat1/ec_MAIN.Entry17c?CID=39910&SID=27674&SP=10007&PN=5&PID=625188&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=39910”>PowerQuest Partition Magic</a>, or you can do it the caveman way with FDISK.

I’ll tell you how to do it with FDISK, if you REALLY want to, just be warned its easy to fuck up and take the entire disk back to bare metal if you mess up with fdisk.

Well with winXP, the simplest way to do it is to have win98 already installed when you install it, so if you ever reformat keep that in mind. However, partition magic is probably the fastest and easiest way to do it, if I recall they have sevceral nice wizards to do exactly what you want.

You will have to reformat and install Windows 98 first as Windows 98 can only run from C:. And also because you always have to install the oldest version of Microsoft Windows first: Windows XP wouldn’t have booted anymore.

But you could use a program like VMWare or Microsoft Virtual PC to get it done. Would involve much less work.

D’oh… so there’s no way to do it without reformatting or buying stuff, huh? Not really worth it then. ^^;

Or using warez.

Actually you don’t have to reformat, you can use partition magic to create a new partition, then format go to dos and do a format /s on it to make it bootable. Now all you need to do is load partition magic again and designate that new drive as your C: and have it change your old C: to something else, like D:

Its not hard at all with an app, its pretty much as simple as dragging and dropping. And maybe selecting some things. I highly suggest you <strike>steal</strike> <strike>download</strike> buy a copy of one of the aforementioned softwares.

I know its possible to do it through FDISK, but i think you have to have a bare metal drive (blank) to use that method. Does anyone know if there is a way to resize a disk in FDISK without formatting it frist?

EDIT - And if it isn’t an NTFS disk, im pretty sure there are some free/open source apps that work in the same way PartitionMagic does.

Cid, just to check, have you used/tried using the Xp compatbility option for programs??

Check that if you havent. i have some really old DOS programs on Xp and they run fine with the comp enabled.

Yes, I’ve tried it. It doesn’t work with these programs. -_-

What kinds of programs are you having trouble running, Cid? If it’s DOS games, there are some good emulators out there that give you sound, cdrom support, all that jazz. If it’s Windows stuff, I dunno what to say, maybe repartitioning would be a good idea.

There is one freeware partition resizer I know of, called FIPS. (http://www.igd.fhg.de/~aschaefe/fips/) I’ve used it myself and have had no problems with it, but I strongly recommend you back up your important stuff before running it, just in case.

No, it’s Windows stuff. Nothing really major, just stuff I would like to have working. I can live without it. :sunglasses: