Computer Problems, help please.

My DVD Drive won’t read any DVD or CD. It was working fine a few hours ago.

I tried installing different drivers, still didn’t work. Device Manager says that it’s working fine.

What should I do? If it helps the Drive is a HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4081B Model and I am using Windows XP (with Service Pack 2)

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

We have a tech forum now, this might get moved. Its cool though, just saying. :slight_smile:

Hmm…have you flashed the drive recently, or done anything to watch a DVD encoded with a region other than your own?

Also, don’t rely on a high level application to know whats going on with a low level device. In other words, never trust device manager :stuck_out_tongue: Something could be wrong with the laser, or laser head, and device manager won’t know. These are the most common errors.

The only thing I have been doing recently is burning Data Discs. That’s all.

If you’re using an application other than Windows Explorer (My Computer) to read from it, try using another application. Like…if you’re using Nero, try discjuggler, or something. Failing that, its probably a low level or hardware issue, and you’ll need to take it to be fixed replaced.

Device Manager rarely tells you if anything’s wrong. It was the same thing with my old computer’s sound card, which eventually had to be replaced, and with my current computer’s graphics card, which keeps acting up even though the usual diagnostic programs say everything’s fine.

I have a similar problem, but with my floppy disk drive. It keeps saying that it cannot read the discs because they are not formatted, when I know they are (I have read them in another PC.) What can I do?