College Roommates

I’ll be lucky and not-so-lucky for a roommate when I get to college since I have family nearby. (FREE DORM!)

I strongly recommend to all of you though (if you have the opportunity) to get into the dorms at your school of choice. There’s nothing quite like dorm life, it’s really cool, and can lead to many friendships and many fun adventures. Don’t stay at home or isolated unless you have to for financial or real personal reasons.

I’m pretty poor, and my family would rather have me stay with them than to have a dorm at the college.

Originally posted by Merlin
I strongly recommend to all of you though (if you have the opportunity) to get into the dorms at your school of choice. There’s nothing quite like dorm life, it’s really cool, and can lead to many friendships and many fun adventures. Don’t stay at home or isolated unless you have to for financial or real personal reasons.

That’s one reason I’m a bit apprehensive about where I might be going, the lack of dorms.

Originally posted by Merlin

I disagree. I’ve lived in dorms for 2 years (this being my third), and it’s generally been a miserable experience. It’s loud, the people are obnoxious, and I’ve never made any friends or had any adventures. It all depends on what kind of person you are, I guess. If you’re an overly gregarious person, you might like them, but if not, I wouldn’t recommend them. Hell, I wouldn’t be living in one myself if it weren’t for the fact that it’s the easiest option for me (not necessarily the most enjoyable or cheapest, though).

My roommate would have to be dead. I can’t stand living people, they complain too much, make too much noise, and takes up too much space. Dead people don’t do any of those things. nod, nod

I’m yet to experience having a roommate. I guess it depends entierly on who you end up with: Some people are lucky and end with a nice one, others are unlucky and end up with someone they wish were dead.

Originally posted by GG Crono 4
www.crfh.net

You post on the boards?

I unfortunately live at home…sigh

You don’t have to be “overly gregarious” to enjoy dorm life. I myself tend towards reclusiveness unless otherwise influenced, and I absolutely love living in the dorms. It’s true that in many ways I’ve been lucky - my freshman year I was on the substance-free floor, and my roomate and I got along just fine. This year I picked my roomate, so again, no problems (no substance-free floor, unfortunately). Dorm life does not have to be wild partying and unending excitement. It can be as simple as breaking up the monotony of study by getting together with a few friends and playing a game of pool or watching a movie.

The roomate relationship is based on respect. Obviously Americanpsycho and his roomate have things to work out in this department. First, let him know that it annoys you. Demand respect (but don’t say it like that), and give the same in return. If that fails, go to your RA. If your RA is useless (this doesn’t mean “if you don’t get everything how you want it”), find the RD, or whatever they call the director of housing on campus.

Of course, I could suggest some more nasty things to do if your roomate’s really a bitch about coming back hammered, 'cause drunkenness means automatic negative respect in my book, but there’s no reason for that unless even the Powers that Be turn a blind eye if you have serious problems.

I live in a 2BR apartment. We each have our own bathroom. So yeah, I never really see my roommate except on weekends. My only complaint is that he has the same name as me, so it’s really fucking confusing when people call. He refuses to change his name though. So I’ve just resorted to telling my friends to ask for “the guy with the giant schlong”. They tend to just ask for “assmunch” though.

And yes, that’s all true.