Coalition war effort, and Canada

I was thinking lately, if Canada was at war with a foreign country, would the US not intervene?, shouldn’t we do our part to save democracy?, actually I’m quite conflicted, I know that peace is in our best intrests, but lately there have been certain people addresing the matter, and I’m not quite certain what to think now…

The U.S. would mostly likely send support, if not to “save democracy”, then at least to save their economy. Canada is the largest trade partner of the U.S. Also, due to Canada’s common boarder with the U.S., there’s very little reason not to help.

If Canada goes to war with another country, US will surely intervene because:

1-) They have to protect their most important partner in NAFTA. Even if FTAA gets to be created (an event that would replace NAFTA), Canada would still be the most important economical partner.

2-) NATO.

3-) US has gotten involved with every single war happening in the world after the WW’s (The exceptions exist only among civil wars). This is mostly to prevent the rise of anti-american regimes.

4-) Wars make nice opportunities for displays of power.

If you’re suggesting that Canada will actually go to war with a foreign country, then that notion is laughable. The Canadian military is barely large enough to defend Canada, much less invade other countries. Canada relies on the U.S. for protection, as there is simply no point in two neighbouring countires with good relations to both develop puissant military powers.

While yes, I agree that if the US were under attack it would not only be in our best interest to help, but also in our honour to do so. However, it was the US, if I am not mistaken, who disclared this war, be it justifiable or not, war is wrong. Very contradictory don’t you think? Starting war is much diffrent then partisipating in one, though both in my mind are far more harmful then helpful. So then, would you have us ingage in another mock world war one? Ally systems are a great thing. I think that it is much better to, while being able to have an Ally, disagree with them never the less.

Also, since I believe you are talking about the current war going on, the terrorist attacks are caused by the imperialistic tendancies of the west, atleast in part, so we should really own blame ourselves. War can always be avoided, even if it is harder. That however, is just my personal opinion. I know many disagree with that.

Democrazy isn’t some magical thing anyways, I’m all for a communist (or better yet, an anarchistic) revolution. Though, I wouldn’t mind laughing at people when their capitalistic system implodes on them.

:kissy:

Originally posted by Cless Alvein
If you’re suggesting that Canada will actually go to war with a foreign country, then that notion is laughable. The Canadian military is barely large enough to defend Canada, much less invade other countries. Canada relies on the U.S. for protection, as there is simply no point in two neighbouring countires with good relations to both develop puissant military powers.

Canada would never really have a reason to go to war with anybody. For the most part, Canada is a peace-loving nation with few actual enemies. Plus, the threat of the United States (as well as a plethora of other countries) jumping in to help is a big enough threat to deter any would-be assailants. I think Canada is probably the least likely country to goto war.

it’s spelt, “Canadia”

:cool:

Yes, merlin is totaly correct. Welcome to Canadia, the houses over there!

:kissy:

Speaking of Canada, and with Merlin posting in this thread, what happened to you and Maz buying Canada?

Maz is whittling away all his funds idly wandering around the West Coast. I may have to buy out his share in insertridiculouslylongacronymwemadeupforwhenwebuyCanadiahere

You aren’t buying out Canada >:o

Idf you divert your funds into my plans of world domination, I’ll give you Canadia and Alaska too. And because it gets cold, how about a nice little island like Cuba?

What percentage share can I buy in your corporation with these 4 shiny Lincolns, Merl?

If you buy Canada, I request that you allot to me a parcel of forest in which to Airsoft and possibly Paintball.

Can I have Siberia? And way to go off topic. :stuck_out_tongue:

Canadia has the US. They don’t need an army.

They would.

[ul]
[li]Secure own interests.
[/li][li]Point out how Canada didn’t help America during Iraq, and how they yet helped them.
[/li][li]A lot of Americans have friends in Canada. Some of them might just vote.
[/li][li]And just maybe someone in the Administration is crazy enough to point out America’s obligations in NATO.
[/li][/ul]

Originally posted by zeppelin
What percentage share can I buy in your corporation with these 4 shiny Lincolns, Merl?
Prince Edward Island.

Then he would get potatoes and Anne of Green Gables. Lucky bastard.