Cid, Cid, and more Cids...

Originally posted by Brad Kanshi
actully there could be a cid in ff1 as not every person is known
and biggs and wedge frequently appear thought the ff series also.

Well there are IMPORTANT (You know. As in not USELESS!) characters named Cid in FF1.

Ah! Cidolfas you scare me! Do you have an all seeing eye or something? Everytime anyone mentions your name on any board, the next post is always a reply from you!
Eyes and ears everywhere huh?

Originally posted by Brad Kanshi
actully there could be a cid in ff1 as not every person is known
and biggs and wedge frequently appear thought the ff series also.

I believe that’s a given.

Mitsu: No, I wasn’t aware of that. O_o But it’d be a nice legend to spread. >-)

Anyhoo… it’s possible that every single NPC is called Cid, if you like. But we have no way of knowing that, nor would it make any sense. 8p If a character doesn’t have a name, he doesn’t have a name. End of idea there, please.

Originally posted by Cidolfas
Well, there’s only two possibilities for the bad guy. He’s a loner, or he has a big organization.

And then there are loons like Kefka, who fit just about every combination thereof throughout the course of the game.

[b] Any bad guy with a big organization can be considered an “empire”, and by default anyone who fights them is therefore a rebel. So saying that FF has a lot of rebels fighting empires is extremely vague.

If you want to restrict it to the more conventional use of “empire”, though, the only games that actually use those terms are FF2 and FF6. [/b]

To extend your point further, in FF5, the heros actually represent various examples of rulership and royalty, and their objective is to prevent evil from being released apon the world.

In FF4, it is Cecil’s story, and he tends to carry the specialness of the world around with him. One could argue that Golbeze represents an evil empire, but you could hardly call Cecil’s group a bunch of rebels (unless you count the simple sense of rebelling against Baron early in the game). Plus, you eventually discover that Golbeze and his minions aren’t the true evil that you must overcome.

I’ve done some research and I’ve found the origins of Cid’s name. This has been bugging me for a while. Cid is a legendary Spanish lord who fought in many battles and was never defeated, or so the legend goes. It’s a pretty long legend, I’ve just given you guys the basics.

I always viewed Dr Unne as FF1’s Cid.

TubaMute, you do realize you have raised the dead, don’t you? For it has been four months since this topic has seen any light.

And I hope you also realize that the Name Origins section of this site has had that information for YEARS.

In the version of the El Cid legend I’m familiar with, his name was Alfonso, and he was given the title by his enemies, the Moors (Muslims) because they found him an honorable enemy. I don’t remember EXACTLY what the title means now, but note that LOTS of arab words were eventually adapted into Spanish (since they ruled Spain for a long time.)

Wil, and you KNOW a guy is badass when his when even his enemies give him an HONORARY title. The only person i really know anything about that his enemies respected and honored, was Simon Kenton.

There is only one thing that i can actually think of being in every FF game and that would be bahamut.

The Cid in FF11 reminds me a lot of the FF5 Cid. he is cool and just the way you’d imagine him.

Actually Greiver, FF11 seems to rbeak the trend by not havign Bahumt, thsi can always hcnage though.

I think the Name Origins section of the site needs better publicity. Nobody seems to know about it… :thud:

Macc: “Yes! Yes! Attack! Gouge out his eyes!”
Cid FF4: “He’s Wearing Shades…”

• Bob and George - March 17, 2001 Tales From a Parallel Universe 2: Macc’s HQ Quasi-Crossover: The Attack of the Cids
    -Macc’s HQ: FARTS - Episode 5 - Too many Cids!

Go to either, it a laugh

Big Nutter

The Cid Collection:

Final Fantasy: He must have died before the characters arrived at the scene.

Final Fantasy II: Everyone’s favorite airship engineer/pilot makes his debut.

Final Fantasy III: This time he’s a married old guy, but still an airship engineer.

Final Fantasy IV: First playable character Cid. Still a lovable airship engineer

Final Fantasy V: This time, he is a scholar, but still manages to fool with an airship…

Final Fantasy VI: Cool researcher of magic. Does he live? Or does he die? Meh, let him die, why not?

Final Fantasy VII: Playable character Cid. Spear 'em Cid man!

Final Fantasy VIII: First high-class Cid. He runs Garden!

Final Fantasy IX: Cid gets an even better job. Now he is the regent of Lindblum. Too bad he’s been cursed.

To continue:

Final Fantasy X and X-2: Cid’s the leader of the Al-Bhed before the Distruction of home. And he has the (in my view) 3rd best Airship. Also is Papa to Rikku and Brother, Uncle to Yuna.

Final Fantasy Unlimited: A techy young Man late teens early 20’s. Called All his inventions by girls names.

Final Fantasy The Spirts Within: An old scientiest that works on the Spirt wave project.

Big Nutter
I don’t any other just call Cid if you need any more info.

To contiue again:

FF11: He’s a crazy old scientist in Bastok. Works for the government and is more understanding than most people.

the Name Origins part of the FFC is the time i spend the most place.

I would like to make a point on Sarah’s name. Sarah in hebrew means “Laughs at God” I tried using the e-mail thing a while back, but it didnt deliver. I was going to try again, but it’s one of those things that got put on the back burner, and stayed there…

There is only one thing that i can actually think of being in every FF game and that would be bahamut.

I’m not sure but I think that bahamut wasn’t in ff2 either. But I never really played ff2 past an hour i think.

I always viewed Dr Unne as FF1’s Cid.

I believe there was someone named unne in ff3.