Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Ok, so I’ve had this nagging tingly numbness in my thumb through some of my ring finger (right hand) for about a year now, right? I thought it was a result of my scoliosis (my spine was pushing into a lot of the nerves in my upper back). Well, I’ve had surgery to correct the scoliosis, BUT the nagging tingly numbness is still kind of there.

I’ve done a little research, and it seems that the median nerve is the culprit in most carpal tunnel cases. The thing is, the back brace I have to wear until February was made by a jackass and pushes into the side of my right bicep. Based on what research I’ve managed to do on the median nerve, I believe the median nerve runs right through where this brace pushes into my arm.

My question is really one for someone like Sin or someone else with knowledge of anatomy and such, where exactly IS the median nerve in the human body? If someone could just point me in the right direction for pictures and information on it, I would really, really, really, REALLY appreciate it.

This is seriously starting to fucking scare me.

Your doctor!

Fuck, seriously. Why don’t you go to your DOCTOR? O_O Even just ask your parents, jesus. Don’t go to an online forum for serious help. Not that we can’t, it’s just not really the right place to look for help.

Cancer. No, its not anything else.

The thing is, no matter whether you are right or wrong with your guesses about the location of the median nerve, what will you do about it? Will you get rid of the brace? Then what will you accomplish with that? You’ll be happy as a humpback who can move a thumb properly?

The way you put things, I’m not even sure you have carpal tunnel syndrom. You made it look like you think you have it because of something you read somewhere, probably in the internet. This is not right.

There is a reason the school of medicine is one of the hardest to get into, let alone get a diploma from it. It’s because things like your little problem are way to hard to diagnose, and correcting them is walking on the edge of a blade. You mess up one little thing and there goes your hand movements or your backbone.

So, if you don’t want to do something that will end up crippling you later on, go see the doc.

I was just curious about the actual location of the nerves and such, more than I’m looking for help. I intend to see a doctor as soon as I can get an appointment. I figured that maybe someone knew someone that had dealt with carpal tunnel syndrome and would maybe, I dunno, share that so it might, I don’t know, help someone or something

I love you like I love sex.

And the only thing I know about cts is that you can get it by playing guitar, which you do, am I right? I play guitar too >>; I hope I don’t get a tingly thumb >>;;

Since he’ll probably get neither.

Carpal tunnel syndrome is the result of inflamed tissue in your wrist, tissue that surrounds the nerves going through your hand. Over time, these tissues have problems healing and repetitive motions eventually lead to chronic inflamation problems and pinch the nerve for longer than they should, leading to the syndrome. I doubt what you have is carpal tunnel syndrome from your age (although if you do abherrent amounts of computer work, you might, but I doubt that’s the case). Go see a doctor about that. Nerve damage is a very risky thing to deal with.

Actually, I haven’t played guitar for more than a year now, but I doubt you’ll get a tingly thumb. I think mine is just a result of some poor keyboarding/mouse use I’ve developed over past year.

That’s exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. Thanks Sin.

Now, I just have to wait through the weekend for my doctor’s appointment on Tuesday.