Careers

Computer programmer for Neversoft. I’m working in gh4 right now.

Factory worker. There’s surprising job security in it, since nobody wants to do physical labor anymore, which I’m more than happy to do. Permananent career choice? Maybe not. But I’d also be happy helping to design and build sets for plays. Anything that lets me work with my hands and lose myself in my work.

I am aspiring to become a computer programmer, game designer, or nanotechnologist.

Currently a game tester in hardware standard department, want out of the Game Industry when possible.

Would rather go back in networking, which I enjoyed alot but the Quebec college equivalent education system was painfully anal and shitty so mixed with RL issues I ended up leaving that crap.

I don’t think I could handle being a tester.

I don’t think a tester could handle being you!

I don’t have any idea what I want to do anymore.

-I wanted to be a teacher for years, but a combination of break room politics, a backstabbing master teacher, a seemingly clinical inability to remember specific names, and my Aspergers killed that dream pretty fast.

-I wanted to be a writer, but there’s no way to write full time and eat, especially with the economy today.

-Right now I’m taking Accounting classes. Since that’s one of the three fields that still wants people, I might at least be able to keep myself fed while I find something.

-I’m also working at Wal-Mart. I cry myself to sleep every night. I have dreams of blowing my brains out. I sometimes think about burning my diploma. Every day there is a well of despair. But besides that, everything’s fine.

In reality, as important as job satisfaction is, it’s more important that you can afford to live. The life of a starving artist might seem fun and glamorous, but it ends up as nothing more than a disgusting menagerie of poverty, hatred, anger, and general disillusionment with the world.

You and me both.

Dunno yet. I just wanna get the fuck out of walmart.

I’ve wanted to be a poet and playwright for a long time, and I don’t mean to give that up.

In the meantime, I’m studying to be a lawyer. It’s hard to say what area I’ll go into, but I’m interested in appellate litigation. I.e.: When a case is appealed, it goes before a judge, not a jury. The plaintiff and defense attorneys argue the legal merits and policy implications of the case on a more sophisticated and often creative level than at trial.

The guidelines I’m using to decide? Basically, I want a job with a “human” element and a “complex-systematic” element. I like persuading people with reason and evoking their passion. I’d get bored if there weren’t also an intellectual challenge. And finally, there’s the competition. I need to feel like, if I mess up, I <i>lose</i>. That’s probably very visceral of me; I just think it beats being a professor or a researcher.

I’m a chemist working with inhaled pharmaceutical product development, and I’ve been doing this sort of thing since before I graduated college. The science of the work is interesting, but the work itself can be tedious and repetitive (I do a lot of stability work as part of this). However, it’s nifty when you can apply knowledge across dosage types, product families, and methodologies and to see how data trends out over time. The big problem is that my current position kinda sucks a little on some days and A LOT on others (thanks to the management incorrectly applying one-track industrial Lean Six Sigma principles to a multi-track development facility). Oh, and my salary - since I work for a contract company, I don’t make as much as I would with a major pharmaceutical company, and my company lowballs too. I also don’t get bonuses (another “perk” of my company) since I’m not high enough on the food chain. If I had bothered to get three letters after my name (either PhD or MBA), I’d be making more. I’d probably get a better return on the MBA.
Right now I’m at a crossroads with work - I enjoy this industry, but I’d like to learn more about the business or project management aspects of it to see if I’d rather do that now that be in the lab, 'cause those chemicals gradually kill you. :slight_smile: I’ve put in to see about doing a rotation in that part of the company since I’d rather get my feet wet instead of jumping in completely and deciding it sucks.
Some days, I wish I did something more aligned with my hobbies or that I decided to keep working at a pool or to get more into diving and work at a dive shop… but money talks, and as my dad says I “have a lifestyle to which I am accustomed and I enjoy.” I can’t pay the bills as well with the other jobs.

Originally Posted by Trillian
Something that wouldn’t make me want to shoot myself every single day after work. Both of my parents griped about how much they hated their jobs, and I don’t want to waste my time doing something I don’t like. v_v;

Same here.

Still my current employment prospects aren’t looking too good right now namely due to issues of location (as in there is almost no professional establishment within a five-mile radius of where I live to seek employment from), and mobility (as in there’s one car that I have to share with someone who’s already a full-time student/employee/friend/performer, and no those are all full-time activities). Fortunately it sounds like I might be able to relieve some of these issues once that new bus route starts running (a bus route within two miles of my house, yay)

No probably not unless they’re a competent programmer.

Currently studying to be an electrical engineer. I’m currently leaning towards doing it on the macro-scale (power systems, alternative energy sources, etc.) rather than the micro-scale. But we’ll see how it pans out in the three years I have left.

Only if you’re doing it wrong. ^_~

I’m keeping my options open but in the end I want a job that is flexible. Mostly so I have the free time to pursue my music and art, which I do not plan on giving up regardless of my situation. In terms of careers, I’m looking towards ESL English teaching or animal care in either a lab environment or outdoors. I’m leaning towards the second but I would like to teach overseas a couple semesters to experience it.

Couldn’t you learn Finnish and move there easier said…? Supposedly, they have the best system in place for teaching right now. The reqs will be probably high but I read they are happy to allow time & money for MAs and Phds.

Kagato, IME it’s harder to learn guitar to an intermediate level but easier to progress to play most things once you’re there. Becoming good at piano is easier, but good luck reaching an A level in the vicinity of Brendel or Richter.

Would rather not. Finnish is an entirely different language to Norwegian, unlike English, Anglo-Saxon, and even Latin and Celtic.

Supposedly, yes, but what about everything else? You don’t want to move somewhere because they’ve got good teachers and treat them well only to discover that all the neighbours are alcoholics and that the healthcare and social security falls short.

Information Risk Management / Network Security Manager. Almost there…MBA done and will be CISSP certified soon. CSO would be my ultimate goal, but probably too lofty.

I don’t see alot of those.

Then again, we seem to get the wierdest developpers sometimes. I blame the fact they’re french.

Oops, didn’t take into consideration language families for a second. My suggestion was semi-serious, anyway.