Canadians:

33/F/Nunavut

Damn. Ever fancied visiting Akrokyparissia? Beautiful place; I can show you around.

I would honestly take Celine Dion above having to listen to anything Neil Peart has to say.

I mean, how does he pitch a song to his band?

LOOK GAIS I WROTE THIS ALLEGORY~!!! ONLY, I CAN’T FIGURE OUT WHAT THE TREE VERSION OF A UNION WOULD BE SO I JUST KEPT UNION!!! BUT IT IS A UNION OF TREES OF COURSE.

HEY CHECK OUT THIS SONG!!: ITS GOT A GRATE SENTRAL CARACTER WHO I KNOW WILL BE REALLY POPULAR BECAUSE HE ALREADY IS BUT I UPDATED HIM TO TODAYS VERSION!1!!!1!1!!!

HEY GUYS I CAN READ AN AYN RAND NOVEL WITHOUT PUKING! I WANT EVERYONE TO KNOW HOW SMART I AM TO BE ABLE TO DO THAT SO I WROTE AN ALBUM ABOUT IT!!!

Is he so good at drums they just don’t care? Did they pick Geddy to sing hoping no-one would be able to understand what he was saying? Is it even possible that they all write worse lyrics? Do the lyrics need to be stupid so Geddy doesn’t even have to think when he sings them, and thus can concentrate on playing like eighteen instruments at once?

Nice pictures. Any more?

And who’s who in the pics?

Gila>thumbs-up dude.

GAP> Diabolical-grin dude.

Screw their lyrics, it’s all about the monster bass, insane drumwork and crazy guitar leads. :ulty:

*edit: Oh and those that are interested in seeing the rest of the photos I took while in Baltimore, you can see them here:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v157/gilamonster/mdf2009/

Most of them are photos of bands though.

I know. Their music is so good, which makes the lyrics even more terrible. They have ruined so many awesome songs for me so completely. Rush could have been so great. Instead, there are only a few songs I can stand to listen to. Maybe they’ll come out with an album of karaoke versions.

I don’t know who Neil Peart is…so, the plea to remove Nickelback/Celine Dion stands.

The drummer and lyricist of progressive rock band “Rush.” His lyrics tend to be based around eight-grade level understandings of objectivism and similarly inane philosophies, often through shallow, blatant allegories of cliched science fiction and fantasy. It’s like the soundtrack to a shallow-end-of-the-gene-pool middle-schooler’s viciously anti-Native American, anti-Communist D&D campaign with the primary theme that being a selfish douchebag is the height of morality.

On the other hand, he’s an insanely good drummer.

That’s what “YYZ” is for.

Ai. Qanuippit.
Umiaryuap Publimaaqpaga tattaurniq ammayaq.

Translation: Hello, How are you, and this could be a popular pick-up line in Inuktitut, my hovercraft is full of eels :wink:

In how many languages can you say that?

That’s impressive!

I am a little late with my reply here – almost forgot about this thread, but GAP and Gila’s pics just jolted my memory.

The first line (Hi, how u doin), I could definitely recite in more lingos than umiaryuap publimaaqpaga tattaurniq ammayaq. Just greeting someone with a Dobry Dien (Hello/Good Day), and changing/switching a vowel here and/or a consonant there, would cover most of the Slavic languages.
BTW, I got my inspiration for the “Inuit pick-up line” fromMonty Python. :wink:

Well, it wouldn’t really have the “how are you” part without some “kak u vas dela” paraphrasing. That stays mostly the same too, though, right?

I once saw a page that claimed “My hovercraft is full of eels” is the true test of one’s mastery of a language. Even tongue in cheek, it’s a nice claim.

Multilingual hovercraft.

As for the interrogative adverb Kak (How), You are absolutely right – the difference between the languages is minimal: Jak, Yak, Ako, Kako etc. As for the rest of the sentence, the variations are more substantial. Russian Kak u vas diela and the informal Kak diela are based on the verb dielat – “to do”. A more appropriate translation of Kak u vas diela would be How do you do, and Kak diela could be translated as How are you. Ukranian Yak spravi and Bielorussian Yak dela follow the same “to do” pattern. In other Slavic languages the question is mostly based on the verb “to be”.

Since the Russian verb “to be” has no present tense form (and many simple sentences appear not to have a verb at all), the literal translation of How are you would be [i]Kak vy /i or [i]Kak ty /i. And this form is rarely used nowadays.
I am not sure how advanced your knowledge of the Russian grammar is, so I hope I didn’t “preach to the convert.”

All this is “slightly” off topic though, but since the next Canadian Prime Minister has some Russian blood running through his veins maybe this post could serve as bridge with the thread title.

I was just using “how do you do” and “how are you” interchangeably, since they’ve got the same basic function. I’m pretty solid in Russian (gimme a verb of motion and I’ll prove I’m not a native speaker, though), but my knowledge of other Slavic languages is minimal (as in “Ukrainian profanity”), so I didn’t know if there were any that didn’t use the same model, or if the verb for “to do” changed much from the Russian

Reminds me of that scene in the movie SLC Punk, you know the one. Mainly because of the mentioning of Rush, eight-grade, and D&D. I hate that movie.
EDIT:
didn’t notice that there was a page two.