Canadian political coup

But it’s not greater representation by the governing party, because the coalition is not magically a “new party”. It’s three parties that have come to an agreement (actually two parties with a third promising to bolster them). And those parties disagree on a whole host of issues. In fact, practically the only thing they do agree on is that Stephen Harper sucks. 8p

I don’t think this will set a precedent. As has been said many times, this situation is very unique. I don’t think a regular minority PM is going to just decide to prorogue Parliament because he wants to avoid a confidence vote, and if he does, the G-G has every right to refuse him. In this case she granted it because it’s the best thing for the country - it lets all the up-in-arms partisan politics settle down a bit and opens the door for parties to actually work together rather than trying to overthrow each other. Especially due to the economic troubles we’re in.

Actually, taken that way, I guess it is a precedent in the idea that if this sort of situation does come up again, the G-G can prorogue parliament, and in that case I’m fine with it the same way I’m fine with it now. :sunglasses:

I just find the whole situation rather silly. Especially things like Dion stepping down as the leader of the Liberal party one week and then suddenly being the best man to lead the coalition the next.

I think Dion for PM was a decision based in ‘devil you know versus devils you don’t’ or ‘make the best out of a bad situation’. The reasons they gave was that Dion came in second in the last election, therefore he must be the one Canadians want next to Harper.

During the election a political analyst on Global News (I think) mentioned that people would vote in a strategy they thought would keep the Conservatives out. Even if their own party didn’t win, it would be one less seat for the Conservatives. Now people are getting what they want in a science-experiment-gone-wrong kinda way.

Nobody my ass. My dad lives there. So nyah.

There is a larger purcentage of french canadians in ontario than you’d believe.

Just you guys wait till Newfoundland separates.

Not a political thing either, I mean REALLY separates. The island will tear itself from ocean floor and become a floating fortress as we all take over the world with our Newfie death cannons.

Or maybe that was just that one dream I had.

Newfie Death Cannons that Club Seals, you mean.

I can only express my disgust at Michaelle Jean using the most inappropriate vocabulary I can think of.

What? What happened?

She is the governor general, who is an unelected, unaccountable official representing a monarch with no authority. Calling this democracy is absurd. If 3 parties representing the majority of Canadians ally together to form a government its no different than the conservative party making a pact with the bloc to survive and there’s been plenty of backdoors deals between the bloc and the conservative party. To say its not democratic is absurd. Its just new that Canada doesn’t have a majority government and the reason is very simple: Canadians are used to an almost 1 party system. The only way to avoid getting coalition governments is for either 1 party to really make a strong showing or to get fewer parties involved so Canada doesn’t turn into Europe.

I want Queen Elizabeth to step in. I really do.

She did. Through the governor general.

I highly doubt Jean actually consulted the Queen.

Anyhoo, minority government != coalition government. If a minority party has the confidence of Parliament (as the Harper Conservatives did for the last two and a half years) and is willing to work together with them, there’s no need for a coalition. The only time it’s needed is if the largest single party does not have the confidence of the house (as happened now) and enough parties band together so that their new “coalition party” is the new biggest party and hence deserves to lead the government.

Jean simply granted the request of the prime minister to push off the decision for two months. Frankly, anything she would have done would be unpopular by some people.

I think she made the right decision. The first thing the new Parliament will do in January is table a budget. If the Conservative budget shows that they’ve taken the hint and hit all the right keys (including concrete stimulus for the economy and no mention of taking away funding for political parties) then driving the coalition forward is going to look like nothing but crybaby politics. Harper is still going to lose a confidence motion sometime in the next year, after Dion is finally replaced, but at least it won’t be as ridiculous a spectacle as it is now, and the voters can actually go to an election over it.

If there was an election with all the same leaders right now, though, I don’t think I’d vote for anybody. >_<

I mean, I want her to really step in. Go over the Governor General.

Is it “a coup d’etat”, or is it "democracy in action” giving voice to the 62 percent who voted against Steven Harper? Depending on which side of this Constitutional melodrama you are, either title seems appropriate.
I must admit though, that “coup d’etat” sounds more exciting (sexy?); besides, Canada must demonstrate to the rest of the world that we are not just a “Great White Bore”.
Canada is on the brink of a civil war, and the rest of the world reacts as if it’s just some unusual weather occurrence. You guys burn a bank in Athens and a couple of bicycles in Thessaloniki; and suddenly Greece is a headliner for international media outlets. Talk about biased media… :wink:

So, au revoir monsieur Dion. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/09/world/americas/09canada.html

I am somewhat partial to the Grits new leader (it’s almost a done deal). I’ll raise a glass of Smirnoff to Misha Ignatieff, the next (maybe?) Canadian Prime Minister. Ignatieff’s ancestry is quite impressive – his grandfather was a Minister of Education to Tsar Nicholas II, and his great-grandfather served as a Minister of the Interior under Tsar Alexander III.

It’s the infamous Greek lobby that controls all international media, you know. Anyway, it’s more to the tune of 550 stores. It’s been a few rough days now (what a time to be without internet access).

I’m sure though that Hollywood would love a movie about a Canadian civil war if that’s any consolation. Isn’t there a law barring leaders of human rights organisations from becoming PMs?

edit: or 330 according to the mayor, as of yesterday

Well, Bob Rae has dropped out of the Liberal party leadership race, largely citing the party’s refusal to go with ‘one member one vote’ plan he had wanted. This just leaves Michael Ignatieff.

Ignatieff, as I understand it, has been mostly so-so regarding the coalition idea, and I’m getting the impression that he might back down in January from the coalition government providing Harper presents a budget that’s a tad more favorable.

While this might sound like good news for Harper, I wouldn’t count on it. I’d be surprised if there wasn’t an election at some point next year anyway (wasn’t one scheduled before the one we had this year? Will that still go ahead? I’m fuzzy on those details). Until now Harper has been going up against Dion, who really hasn’t done a lot to inspire Canadians to think of him as a leader. But even up againts Dion, Harper could still only pull off a minority. Will Ignatieff be a more difficult opponent? Will we see the Liberals return to (minority) power next year? We’ll see…

At the very least we’re rid of Dion. I hope.

I have no idea; but so far, no one implied that Ignatieff’s stint as director of Harvard’s Carr Center and his other HR activities could become an obstacle.

edit: or 330 according to the mayor, as of yesterday

It looks like Kostas Karamanlis is hanging by a thread.

He’s been hanging for roughly a year. Unless he gets boosted by a Sarkozy effect, he’s toast.

Harper is definitely going to be up against harsher ground with Ignatieff. He’s had his gaffes here and there, but he’s a much stronger leader than Dion ever was. Dion became leader almost by accident; he was never a serious contender for the leadership.