Canadian Army Powers Up

The Canadian Army has annoucned they will purchase for 3.2 billion dollars of submarine-hunter helicopters.

Source : TVA news.

whats your point?

hey your next post will be your 1000.

congrats. :moogle:

My point is that an army that will most likely never attack a submarine shouldn’t buy sub-hunters.

Does that mean that the helicopter can go underwater? Cool.

I’m just waiting until the Canadian Army contracts all their work to the Thunderbirds.

No, it means that the helicopter has a sophisticated LIDAR system which can detect submarines, and it has air-to-water projectiles and missiles which may be used to engage an underwater vessel.

Canada may not be in a war now, but it does not mean it will be so forever. With the world quickly turning to a pre-world-war-like-state, almost every developed country and many undeveloped ones are going for arms. That’s why France, Pakistan and India went for the atom bomb in the 90’s. That’s why recently China got the H bomb. That’s why US and Russia are researching supercavitation (which leads to the importance of aerial sub-hunters). That’s the reason for many new things developed in US that were first tried in Afheganistan and Iraq. And so on…

Now, I don’t think a world war will sure happen soon. But everybody feels safer if they are armed to the teeth, thus the current armamentist race.

What the hell is supercavitation?

Cavitation is a phenomenon that makes navigation dangerous after ships get close to 50 knots. Basically streams of vapor form under the hull of the ship, and it may fall to a side. Supercavitation happens when the vapor completely envelops a body. This means that the body will literally be flying underwater.

Currently, it is impossible to make a usable supercavitating torpedo. But there is research on it. The current limitations are that the thing can’t steer, so it has to be fired directly at the target (which may not be a problem, since it can go really fast). This one seems like has no solution, though. The other problem is that it tends to bounce around its bubble. To keep it in a path, some test torpedoes have been linked to sub by a wire. But that makes for a very very very very close range of fire. edit: This is the first supercavitation test-torpedo ever

Well atleast your country already has schools doesn’t it?

Um, on the wire torpedo. the standard way to fire any torpedo is via wire.

read up on ADCAP torpedos. these are the standard versions that the USA and most other modern countries use. they are exclusivly wire guided. and have ( i dont remember the exact) about a range of half a mile.

I didn’t know that. Thanks :slight_smile: