canada's contributions to culture

i was playing the warcraft 3 custom map DoTA this weekend, when my friends and I were confronted by a team of lackluster militant canadian players. during a series of rematches, in which my team never lost, the canadians made such a great deal of nationalistic commentary and expression of a superiority complex in relations to americans, I began to wonder what all this national pride was based on.

i immediately pondered their contributions to my own areas of interest, mostly what we might agree upon as the high arts: literature, painting, drama, and film, mostly.

I drew a huge blank… what, pray tell, are Canada’s contributions to euro-american art? i ask not in attempt to disparage what i see as their lack of such output, but in ernest, feeling I must be missing something.

Canada gave us Pamela Anderson, William Shatner, and Bret “The Hitman” Hart.

Now now Prime Minister, let’s not forget Bryan Adams.

Nickleback, Avril Lavigne and others.

A lot of Canadians feel superior to Americans for the sole reason they’re canadians similarly to how the Americans feel about their status vs the world.

and Australians. Except the Australians are right =P

“I don’t believe that Canada was built on American conservative values. It was built on compassion, on generosity, on sharing and understanding” – Paul Martin

And this is from one of the most “conservative” Canadian leaders.

Copy/paste from another thread:
http://agora.rpgclassics.com/showthread.php?t=24342&highlight=canada

Bolt your doors and hide the brew; the Canadians are coming. Our friendly neighbors from the North are invading Hollywood like never before. Maybe it’s the lure of the strong dollar, cheap beer and warm weather. Or maybe it’s just retaliation against the U.S. for stealing all the best hockey players.
http://www.eonline.com/Features/Feat...bits/Canadian/
"20% of Hollywood is Canadian " – Time Magazine,

Canada is the breeding ground for ruthless entertainment terrorists. Many members of Al Quanada Divas group are currently on the “most wanted” list. Celine Dion (hiding somewhere in the Nevada desert), Shania Twain (hiding in the tribal areas of Swiss Alps), Alanis Morissette (became a naturalized citizen of the United States while still maintaining her Canadian citizenship), Avril Lavigne (just celebrated her 21st birthday by killing an innocent cake with her own hands: “My favourite part of the party was the cake. I was, like, sticking my fingers in!”) and a few other AQD members have a multi-million dollar rewards for their capture offered by major record companies.

British-style humor in American-sounding voices. Thus creating the illusion that we Americans are capable of satire and other forms of high humor (as opposed to a mere litany of puns centered around synoyms for feces and or the human anus, and a crude approximation of parody that is more akin to “sampling” than actual spoofing, as exemplified in the “Scary Movie” film series, and derivative offshoots of this such as “not another teen movie” et cetera).

Examples: The Kids in The Hall [note the heavy use of the traditional british humor elements: 1) satire and 2) cross dressing], This Hour Has 22 Minutes.

Also: Mike Myers [again, note the cross dressing!], Jim Carrey (although often mistaken for American due to his heavy use of physical comedy, and he hasn’t incorporated cross-dressing since the Vera De Milo/In Living Color days). Myers is in fact a small part of a strong tradition of Canadian influence on perhaps the most widely recognized “American” comedy institution, Saturday Night Live.

Hades

Sin, Nickleback isn’t a contribution, it’s an insult :stuck_out_tongue:

I also would mention The Kids in the Hall. “Running Faggot, running free…”

The question doesn’t make sense to me. You can’t be proud of a country for the artistic contributions of the people who live in that country.

What I mean to say is, you can’t think like this:

Thomas Eakins is American.
You are American.
.: You are Thomas Eakins.

The conclusion doesn’t follow logically from the premises.

Just because Thomas Eakins lived in America doesn’t mean his art is a product of America. Living in America doesn’t connect you to him in any way either. The fact that Eakins was american doesn’t make you a better artist than you would be if he wasn’t. You’re not Thomas Eakins any more than I’m a member of the Group of Seven, and you don’t have any of his accomplishments to be proud of, nor does any other American.

I don’t mean to imply that you think you’re Thomas Eakins. I’m asking you if it’s reasonable to connect a country to it’s artists in a way that makes you feel better about yourself because you’re also connected to that country. Personally, I don’t think it’s reasonable.

This thread is pointless because countries have nothing to do with artistic contributions. An artist is an artist, no matter where he’s from.

Edit: By the way, why did you feel the need to mention that your team never lost?

the culture and attitudes of a country have a tremendous impact on artists and what they produce, Hades.

Perhaps he felt like either a) throwing in some irony, or b) emphasizing the pointlessness of the canadian players bragging about their country.

Countries don’t have culture or attitudes. People do. “American” culture doesn’t begin or end at the 49th parallel.

What I was trying to say in my last post was that the borders a person lives between have nothing to do with the artistic skills of other people within those borders.

Culture and attitudes do affect artists, but they have nothing to do with countries and their effects are superficial. What they see and express changes, but their ability to see and express does’t change.

Perhaps he felt like either a) throwing in some irony, or b) emphasizing the pointlessness of the canadian players bragging about their country.
The thing is, the country has nothing to do with their skills. The irony isn’t there, and Sil completely failed to make a point.

“Running faggot, my puppy is hungry!”
“Well, did you try feeding it?”

Hm. I notice all of the contributions have actually been pop culture (and mine was actually a joke). Have there been any Canadians to make big contributions to “high” culture?

Well, The Group of Seven were a large part of Canadian culture.
(A group of painters from the 1920s, for those who don’t know.)

I learn all my cultural information from a calendar in the kitchen :slight_smile:

“Running Faggot, running free, see the faggot, he fed a puppy, Running Faggot, running free…”

I have a gay friend who sings that song any time a situation forces him to run anywhere. Often we’ll be running through a parking lot or something, and you’ll suddenly hear “see the faggot, see the running faggot…” I’d think that that song/sketch was offensive or something, but the token of our group appreciates it, so I’m allowed to enjoy it, too. :smiley:

I have had almost the exact same experience playing online games. I used to play with a lot of Canadians on starcraft. One of them was REALLY REALLY high on Canada and used every opportunity to spout Canada’s dominance over the USA. I just found it funny, but I don’t think he was joking. He would have actual arguments about who would win a war between the countries and such.

On what Candians give to culture…I actually asked some of my Canadian friends over the weekend why we never hear of Canadian comedy shows like we hear about british ones. They told me about a Canadian show called Corner Gas that I got and just watched the first episode yesterday. It was funny. Kids in the Hall has been mentioned, SCTV hasn’t to my knowledge, nor has the majority of the Whose Line is it Anyway cast (Colin Mocherie is God). Where would hockey be without Canadians? That figure skater that was screwed by that olympic scandal was hot too.

A side note on Canadians. I do have a lot of good friends from there, but it seems that all of them have a similar personality of abrasiveness, and (in my opinion) over-sensitivity. I don’t know if that’s just who I’ve come across or if it is the general culture there.

To add to the thing about canadians being obsessed with being canadians, since I’m trapped in this shit hole of a medical school, every single canadian contribution to science or medicine is advertised and lauded as god’s gift to the world. Its very very irritating. I’m Canadian by birth and I just think its retarded to see people obsessed with their own perceived magnificence, no matter where I am.