Bulking up

I know this probably isn’t the best place to ask, but what the hell, I’m bored.

Do any of you guys know how to bulk up and build muscle? I go to the gym almost everyday and I’ve lost a lot of weight (about 20 pounds) and I’ve gotten much stronger, but I still look about the same. Sure my pants feel better (they aren’t as tight in the waist) and my chest is a little bit harder, but I still haven’t really put on any muscle or gotten toned. Any ideas on how to do this? By the way, I don’t take supplements and don’t intend to.

Egg whites are the most easily absorbed protein in existence. Store hard-boiled eggs in the fridge and eat 4-5 whites after every workout. Avoid soy.

Do low repetitions on high weight. It’s a bad idea to train that way for most sports, and it’ll kill your running ability, but it’ll bulk you up.

Well, one thing that you may not be considering is that diet is hugely important. While weight loss tends to be a simply matter, building muscle quickly requires a stricter diet than just limiting calories or exercising enough that it doesn’t matter.

More specific advice depends on exactly what you mean by “bulk up.” For instance, do you literally mean bulky, like huge muscles, or do you mean lean muscle, more Bruce Lee style.

What are you trying to bulk up?

edit: Since you go to a gym, just look around, find someone around that’s “bulked up” the muscles you want to get bigger and ask them what they do to achieve their results. Asking them about their diet may also give you some insight on how to rework your own. Lots of rest, water/gatorade, and protein are recommended to help the muscles rebuild after a workout.

One of my brothers bulked up his upper body quite a bit with one of those buckets of a protein powder supplement, vitamins, and short workouts: minimal reps with maximum weight (injury can easily insue from this). However, he wasn’t stronger than my oldest brother or me, but he had more weight to him, which is more weight to throw around, and people perceive that as being stronger.

Bulking up is pointless and limiting your body in my opinion and to many others. In the words of Bruce Lee, “a stronger muscle is a bigger muscle.” Lee was the epitome of one wanting perfect physical fitness and strength and he came to this conclusion after doing plenty for it and reading 100s of books on the matter. Lee weighed around 160 pounds, with a waist just below 30, but he was all toned muscle and many body builders envy the guy still. Arnold did back then.

The physical feats of Lee alone are amazing. Lee could kick a 200 pound punching bag resting on the floor and make it hit the ceiling. He could do full body lifts using just his shoulder blades.

If you need to build and tone up quickly, speed swimming a lot will do the job for your upperbody. Running at least one mile and at most five miles a day will keep you overall fit but somewhat hinder your ability to bulk up, as will anything that isn’t exhaustive like throwing a piano up to the 2nd story of a building.

There’s really no way to “bulk” up without either taking supplements or downing some sort of concoction and foods that contain lots of vitamins, minerals, and proteins, basically the same thing as taking the supplements. Steroids, statistically, were used and experimented with by a lot of people in general, so if you want to look like a big bulky idiot, you can take all of these and then “push it to the limit” by lifting a lot more weight than you normally would.

Personally, you should be going for fitness over bulk. Being toned and built is better than having a useless, bulky body.

And who says Chuck Norris is better than Bruce Lee? I certainly don’t.

EDIT:
Aside from the whole dead thing.

You should be getting more calories from eating than the cals you burn by exercising. Compound exercises also seem to work better.

One thing I learned in my Weight Training class in high school was that in order for muscles to grow, they need to rebuild themselves.

So, on monday you work your arms and the muscles tear(they’re sposed to). The next day they begin to heal themselves, and in doing so they grow slightly larger and stronger.

So, you should make sure that you are alternating the muscles that you are working and giving them time to heal. If you work the same muscles every day, there will be no progress.

Eggs are defintely a great source of protein,and I’ve known some people that eat these little dried prawns, which are like, pure protein.

That doesn’t sound right. Sure I’d get bigger, but not the way I’d like.

Just get a little more muscle on me (that you can actually see).

I see, but that sucks to hear that it’ll ruin my running, since I still need that.

I think XWing’s method of bulking up is closer to the kind that bodybuilders do. It’s great for developing really big muscles, but it ruins the whole actual in-shape aspect.

I imagine you want to bulk up without it affecting running and whatnot. That’ll take longer, of course. Unless you use steroids. But I imagine the Army tests for those.

There are all sorts of legal steroids that are about as potent as illegal ones that you can buy at even like… max muscle. They get away with it because they change their brand name so often, I dunno it’s some loophole.

Get nos, whey, and another hormonal supplement, I have no idea what is the big one nowadays. You’ll have to take pills that make it so your breasts don’t get huge, too.

Or you could just do it the real way like I did and lift a lot 4 times a week. Don’t even worry about high weight low reps bullshit, if you are just looking to get bigger you need to follow some kind of workout regiment, because it sounds like you’re just plateau’d because you probably do the same thing each week.

Just eat whatever the hell you want, if you’re really working out and actually working hard you don’t need to follow any kind of diet for the sake of LOOKING physically fit. If you want to take it a step further then get some kind of diet plan. Our football coach in high school gave us a huge calender with what we should eat each day during the football season

Swimming. Swim. Swim like a fish, damn it. Swimmy. Swammy. Samsonite.

It is. If you burn too many calories, you can actually burn off muscle mass.

“Avoid soy,” is somewhat drastic advice. It’s not the most efficient protein (that honour goes to whey, followed by egg whites, followed by cow’s milk), but it certainly won’t hurt to eat soy, and the stories of it causing “feminine features” because of its similarity to estrogen are basically wholly unfounded.

X-wing’s advice is geared towards larger muscles, not a a lean muscle or any form of actually useful muscle. Swimming and the exact opposite sort of lifting are probably the best ways to build legitimate fitness and gain actually useful muscle mass.

You might wanna check out Penny Arcade’s Fitness Thread.

Not all of it is perfect, but reading the opening post is probably a good place to start. The PA mods are pretty much tyrants who will ban you for looking at them sideways, so everyone agrees with them even when their advice is shit, but Thanatos mostly knows what he’s talking about and you should read some of what he has to say.

Egg whites are good, but don’t eat only the whites. Eat whole eggs.

The PA thread is pretty on the spot.

Actually, the opening post of the thread, while debunking some myths, also embraces some others. For instance, the “muscles burn more than fat” is a deeply entrenched falsehood that I suspect is propagated intentionally by companies that sell exercise equipment/gym memberships. Technically they do, but the difference is trivial as to be irrelevant:

Will More Muscle Rev Up Your Metabolism?

In short, probably not. The average person won’t lose muscle from doing cardio and won’t burn more fat by building more muscle, mostly because one has to eat more than usual (not diet) and lift seriously heavy weights to build more muscle. And even then that person probably won’t build enough muscle to make a difference. Dr. Joseph Donnelly and other leading exercise physiologists conducted a comprehensive review of all the research on exercise and weight loss for the American College of Sports Medicine. While resistance training was recommended for its beneficial role in potentially improving muscle strength and power, the physiologists found no evidence that increasing muscle mass enhanced weight loss, especially when combined with dieting.

http://health.msn.com/fitness/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100138677

Furthermore, there is no evidence that fasting hurts you any more than a regular diet, and in fact can give you the same benefits, and can actually have some additional benefits dieting doesn’t:

WASHINGTON (AP) — Periodic fasting can be just as good for the health as sharply cutting back on calories, even if the fasting doesn’t mean eating less overall, a new study indicates.

Phil Randall isn’t fasting at his home in Kalamazoo, Mich.
By Mark Bialek, AP

Researchers are now planning to see if what works in mice is also good for people.

Several recent studies have reported a variety of benefits from a sharply restricted diet, including longer life span, increased insulin sensitivity and stress resistance.

In the new report, mice that were fed only every other day — but could gorge on the days they did eat — saw similar health benefits to ones that had their diet reduced by 40%, a team of researchers reports in Tuesday’s online edition of Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

The cause of health improvements from cutting back on diet isn’t fully understood, though many researchers had assumed that a long-term reduction in calories was involved.

But the new study by Mark P. Mattson and colleagues at the National Institute on Aging found equal benefits for mice that ate only every other day, but didn’t cut total calories because they ate twice as much on days they weren’t fasting.

Mattson said a study is in the planning stages to compare the health of a group of people fed the normal three meals a day with a similar group, eating the same diet and amount of food, but consuming it within four hours and then fasting for 20 hours before eating again.

“Overeating is a big problem now in this country, it’s particularly troublesome that a lot of children are overweight. It’s still unclear the best way to somehow get people to eat less … One possibility is skipping a meal a day,” Mattson said. “Our study suggests that skipping meals is not bad for you.”

Dr. Carol A. Braunschweig of the University of Illinois at Chicago, who was not part of the study team, said she was intrigued by the suggestion that a drastic change in eating patterns might have benefits.

“With the current epidemic of obesity and physical inactivity facing the U.S. today, identification of a beneficial eating pattern that could address some of the untoward effects of excess weight would be a very significant finding,” she said.

Mattson said an earlier study found that mice that fasted every other day had extended lifespans and the new experiment found the mice also did better in factors involved in diabetes and nerve damage in the brain similar to Alzheimer’s disease.

“We think what happens is going without food imposes a mild stress on cells and cells respond by increasing their ability to cope with more severe stress,” Mattson said. “It’s sort of analogous to physical effects of exercise on muscle cells.”

He said the researchers think this stress occurs throughout the body, and that may be the reason fasting seems to increase lifespan and the animals become more resistant to the diseases of aging.

The dieting mice consumed 40% less food than mice eating normally and lost nearly half their body weight (49 percent) in the experiment, while the fasting mice weighed only a little less than mice eating normally.

In recent years, some nutritionists have recommended eating smaller amounts more often, but this study did not deal with that type of eating pattern.

In the new report, the researchers said both the fasting mice and those on a restricted diet had concentrations of blood sugar and insulin that were significantly lower than mice allowed to eat whenever they wanted. Indeed, insulin levels in the fasting mice were even a bit lower than the dieting ones.

At the end of the experiment all three groups of mice were injected with a toxin that damages cells in the part of the brain called the hippocampus. It’s cell damage there that that is involved in Alzheimer’s in humans.

When the mouse brains were later analyzed the scientists found that the brains of the fasting mice were more resistant to damage by the toxin than the brains of either dieting mice or those eating normally.

As is “starvation mode”

problem with this idea is that, if it were true, no one would die from starvation and obviously people do. Clearly, even if you eat what is obviously too few calories to be healthy, such as an anorexic does, you will continue to lose weight.

So where did this idea – that not eating enough calories makes you not lose weight – come from?

It started with the famous Minnesota starvation study. Some normal-weighted men agreed to live on a compound where their exercise and diet was strictly controlled. For portions of the study, they were on a “starvation diet” which is defined as 50% of the calories your body needs to function.

For me, these days, that’s about 750-850 calories a day. So I was on a starvation diet up for the first four months after my surgery. Yet I lost weight just fine during that period – better than fine, really. Most of the people on The Biggest Loser are also on starvation diets, from what I can tell. They may eat a lot more than I do but they also exercise strenuously 6-8 hours a day. So they are often below 50% of their calorie expenditure for the day. They seem to lose just fine too.

How can this be?!

The answer lies in what actually happened to the Minnesota guys when they were on their starvation diets.

Like most of us on a diet, their metabolisms did slow down. In fact, after they’d been on this diet for a while – we’re talking months, not days here – their body fat percentage got to a point below what is considered minimal to live on (about 5% for a guy, 6% for a gal). At this point, their metabolism had slowed down as much as 40%. But – and this is the important point for those of us on a diet – they continued to lose weight. Even with that big of a slow down in their BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate), they were still operating at a great enough calorie deficit to lose.

If this is true with a 40% slow down, it’s even more true when the slow down is somewhere in the 14 - 22% range, which is more where if falls with normal dieting.

http://fattyfightsback.blogspot.com/2009/03/mtyhbusters-starvation-mode.html

when it comes to fitness, there really is so much bullshit out there that its hard to sort out. Half of it is exercise and nutrition companies propagating it intentionally to convince people the whole thing is more complicated than it really is and thus people need to buy lots of stuff they don’t; the other half is wishful thinking on the part of people who want to think that “eating five to six small meals a day” is a more efficient way to lose weight than not eating or eating less.

Arac is right although I don’t know if it’s so much muscle cells as much as the mass that makes up the ones you have

Don’t try to do everything right at the same time man cause you’ll burn out and turn into a fat retard, like Arac

Ramza probably just gave the best advice here. Don’t try to do everything at once. Start small and move in small steps. For diet, I’d suggest cutting out all soda to start, and since you’re trying to bulk up and you need to be eating a LOT to do it, I’d focus on eating tonnes of food without really stressing over how good any of it is for you. Just work on getting it down.

Curtis is right too. Not everything in that thread is perfect, as I already said. Personally, I think getting 40% of your calories from protein is fucking ridiculous, pointless, and impossible to do without supplements. But it’s a good thread to start from. Of course you’ll need to refine your methods later if you want to ramp it up.

I’m going to presume you want pecs, biceps, and triceps then.

Pecs: just do a lot of pushups or benching. Get those man titties gone :stuck_out_tongue: (or at least hidden). My chest look much better than it did thanks to these.

Biceps: do curls. I dunno how much you can lift, so just start with something comfortable and do them so that you bring your arms all the way down and then back up. I do about 3 sets of 8-10 curling 65-85lbs.

Also, you want to work out with some dumbbells (I use 25-30lbs for each arm). A simple exercise with these is to find a reclining bench, lay back a bit, bring your arms to your side with dumbbells in each hand and curl each one at a time. I’ve been doing about 5 sets of 10.

Another dumbbell exercise. Stand up straight, weights in hand at your sides. Bring each one up to your chest. Not like a curling motion, more like moving your hand up from your side and trying to touch your heart. That kind of motion.

Also, do 21’s.

I don’t really do any tricep work outs, so I’ll just let you google those.

Hope that helped some.

I eat my foes, and block their blows with my face. There’s really no other way it could’ve turned out.