Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter re-review.

That’s not even entirely correct, either; that’s a pretty gross oversimplification :stuck_out_tongue:

So, what is entirely correct, kind sir? No, seriously, I want to know. Remember: I’m immune to spoilers. :wink:

I wouldn’t put in a high D-Ratio if I were you; it changes the items you get in the boxes you find, if I remember correctly. And one thing I’ve definitely noticed when playing the game is, you find a LOT more save tokens when your D-Ratio is low. Also, the stuff behind the hidden doors (there are extra places you can go to in dungeons when your D-Ratio is high enough) are kind of difficult.

I’m aware of that. But, since watching the hidden scenes is more important to me, I’d still go for it. (Besides, there’s also item cheats in the codebreaker, if I feel I need them. :wink: )

And I seriously wouldn’t put in the D-Counter one, as that would just break the game into sheer retardedness. I think you’ll see just how retarded when you first use the dragon power.

I would only use that trick if I’m losing really badly to a boss. I’d have to shut the code off before the last battle, anyway.

Well pretty much nowhere in town had it so I ordered it off gamestop.com. I’ll get it in 5-10 business days!

Thanks for remembering that I pimp this one a little too… :slight_smile: Maybe I was a little inspired since SG said “It’s like $15 brand new now - it’s a crime not to buy it!” I love that line.

I haven’t played through this game a lot of times since I just don’t have the time. I bought it on the cheap years ago and gave up around the third battle or so out of frustration. However, I decided to try again fresh, the same way I did for Kingdom Hearts, and I was glad for it. I’m one of those people who will get lazy playing a game in a heartbeat, but Dragon Quarter engaged me in a different way and kept my attention. Like in SG’s second post, you have to pay attention to what you’re doing, and you have to exploit whatever advantages the game gives you (read: PETS, which I still think is a super dorky acronym but still not as bad as some I’ve come up with myself). Careful management of all of your resources is the key. It really wasn’t the type of game I could pick up for an hour in the evening because of the attention it required from me in order to do well. Even though the characters and settings were literally dark, I enjoyed them because of how they reflected the story, which I thought was a nice departure from the norm.

I did have a problem with a lack of easy mode/free permanent saves, and I also think it’s lame for you to “lose” to get to see extra stuff before actually finishing.

I might replay after I finish FF12, but that probably won’t be until next year at my current rate. :slight_smile: BTW, there are copies on eBay people! Cheap cheap!

Ryu’s power sort of hints at him having this feeling of ‘losing his humanity’ as he goes through the story. And, that’s exactly what happens - He loses his human form and becomes a dragon. I suppose the explanation is pretty simple, but it’s not like the Alien movies, good lord!

Hiiiiiiiii. :smiley:

::doh::

You don’t count, cos you’d already played it. I guess I mean, “there’s almost no one that I personally convinced to play this game that didn’t like it” :stuck_out_tongue: Yeesh, you happy now!? :stuck_out_tongue:

NO

NEVER!

Is it bad that I saw SG’s post and thought “It Rirse!”?

Alright well I just got it in the mail today. And as of right now I know of only one true missable, an AutoRifle+9 from something about a review board.

Don’t worry about missables - you’ll be playing the game over and over again. Plus, AutoRifles are not even the best weapon for that particular character by a longshot - not even a +9 :stuck_out_tongue:

If you wanna be truly technical about it, you probably won’t get most of the stuff in the last dungeon, either, not to mention most of the things - if anything - in the side dungeon and the review board…not on your first playthrough, at least.

My best advice as far as equipment goes (which you’ll understand when you play) is to stick to shields that allow skill threading, and always have steal on. Right up til the very end of your first playthrough. A lot of the most important skills in the game are stolen from enemies, and the majority of Ryu’s skills are obtained in this manner.