Breath of Fire 1 review.

It’s a crime not to buy it!

I agree with VM, even though a lot of people don’t seem to like BOF5 because of the save system. I remember one guy saying he didn’t like it because it didn’t have Bleu and every BOF game has to have a hot character like Bleu around. Yeah, I’m sure he was joking.

See, the thing is, I found BOF4 really boring (except for the Fou-Lu parts) but I hear the BOF games follow the same story structure in a way; so I was really happy with the change in BOF5, yeah, that save system is really strange but I enjoyed teh gameplay, dug the heck out of the music, and enjoyed the twist of the dragon powers.

BOF1 is a generic RPG, and for it’s time I’m sure it was a very admirable and perhaps unique game. But honestly, grinding as a way to increase playing time is permissable only when you’ve got a interesting story to tell or when you manage to pull off a miracle and create something like DQ8 (and as much as I liked that game I still haven’t finished it, gah!).

BoF3 changed my view of RPGs back in the day, grated I never got the chance to play it until four years or so after it’s release.

I bought BoF5 two weeks ago, I need to get on to playing that…

I played BoF4 a long time ago Mullenkamp, but I seem to remember feeling the same way. But GOD, I love BoF5. Easily, EASILY the best PS2 RPG.

Kagato, play it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Man, now I need to find BoF5 :\

I could’ve bought BoF 5 a long time ago; I even bought the guide, but something told me that it was going to be too dark for my taste. (I argued this with SG before.) Well, there’s a used copy going for like 9$ at my local Gamestop, and since I recently bought a PS2 Codebreaker that has codes for that game, it looks like the Universe is hinting that it’s time I gave it a try. So I will, soon as I finish FFV Advance. And yes, I’ll let you know what I thought of it. (And no, I won’t use any codes on my first playthrough.)

One thing that I’d like to point out, is that (judging from 3 and 4) the BoF franchise seems to distinguish itself in being a little more serious than the average RPG of its kind. 3 was full of moments that make you go “huh?” (for example, when you’re forced to allow a semi-resurrected woman to die) not the mention that at the end the hero is forced to recall all the people he had to kill to get there, and is given the choice of giving up. Not exactly what you expect from a typical Epic Fantasy! 4 was worse; the whole subject seemed to be man’s cruelty to both nature AND each other (the necromantic cannons were a blatant nuclear weapon analogy, and what happened to Nina’s sister was both horrible and, again, led to mercy-killing.) Not that I really mind it, both games were well-written and had plenty of fun stuff to go with the dark. But from the looks of it, I expected 5 to not have such a balance (and I hate the character designs; everybody looks emaciated.) But, as I said, I’ll judge it more fairly after I play it.

Wil, if you’re gonna try BoF5, all I can say is, be ready for it to be HARD on the first try. A lot of people underestimate the game, and then give up as a result.

Bof5? Dragon Quarter? I always see if for dirt cheap at EB… maybe I should buy it.

There is no maybe about it!

The speed of the game was tragically slow

And that is a cardinal sin.

Was BOF 5’s story any good? I tend to get bored of turn based rpgs if the story doesn’t hook me.

Have I ever told you that you’re like, my second-favorite girlfriend :smiley: Although I wish my first-favorite would say that, too. :confused:

FullMetal, Dragon Quarter has a really good story, but it’s not conventional. I can see a lot of people not liking it that much.