*brainexplody*

Actually, I’d say that both Al Gore and George Bush are fairly bright (Bush got nearly a 1300 on his SATs, he isn’t stupid- he just uses his “stupidity” as a self-marketing strategy- which means he’s JUST dishonest -_-).

But… what does intelligence have to do with any of this?

I guess it’s not intelligence but the way they present themselves. Granted, everyone sticks their foot in their mouth from time to time (Bush and myself included), Gore just didn’t seem to make much sense to me. Don’t ask for examples because I can’t think of any.

Originally posted by BahamutXero
Excuse me for sleeping through history class, but I’m not going to do research on somebody I dont’ care about in my spare time.
Then don’t smear “somebody you don’t care about” in your spare time, either. Anyway, I accept your retraction.

I don’t think he should get one, sure he caught Suddam, but that’s just one good thing.All his stupid and bad decisions certainly out way his good ones.

He was nominated before too. Ariel Sharon has been nominated too. Nearly anyone can get nominated, actually getting it is something else entierly.

Xero: the world’s general hatred towards US has never been as intense as it is today. Bush’s administration is to blame.

You think what he’s done after 9/11 is good? He basically just almost every relationship Us had with other countries, isolating America from the rest of the world.

I went to FLA a few years ago, made a lot of friends there, did some tourism and got back home without doing anything bad. But I can’t go there again because I’m banned from US. The nearest american consulate says I am a ‘potential threat’. No euphemisms, they did say those words. They are treating me as if I were a criminal. I am just treating the people in charge the same way they treat me.

Well, I guess Bush does deserve the prize :stuck_out_tongue: If he eliminates all countries, there will be no reason for war anymore anyway! :smiley:

Originally posted by Ren
[b]Xero: the world’s general hatred towards US has never been as intense as it is today. Bush’s administration is to blame.

You think what he’s done after 9/11 is good? He basically just almost every relationship Us had with other countries, isolating America from the rest of the world.

I went to FLA a few years ago, made a lot of friends there, did some tourism and got back home without doing anything bad. But I can’t go there again because I’m banned from US. The nearest american consulate says I am a ‘potential threat’. No euphemisms, they did say those words. They are treating me as if I were a criminal. I am just treating the people in charge the same way they treat me. [/b]

Whoa, Ren, I had no idea. Just to make sure I’m not insane,(despite the board’s reputation) by FLA you mean Florida right? Where are you from?

Brazil, as far as I know. And he’s right. Brazilians need more papers and stuff now to get into the country, and so do the Chinese I’ve heard. But both countries decided to strike back and do the same back to US residents. Same price for everybody.

Okay, presidential candidates and military service…

Well, as far as Gore or Bush avoiding combat, I have to say Bush is the worst of the two. Gore went to Vietnam, even if he was a reporter who didn’t do any fighting. Bush entered the reserves so that he wouldn’t have to do active duty - this was a common practice during the Vietnam War, especially among the wealthy who could buy their sons a place in the already crowded reserves at a time when lots and lots of people were trying to get in. And he didn’t even show up to the practices.

Kerry did see combat and from the accounts of the men in his unit, was able to hold things together and was never plagued by indecision, itself admirable enough no matter how inflated his medals might have been. But at the same time it seems to me, at least, that he blatantly exploited his service in the war for political gain in the early 1970s.

There’s no evidence Dean was an actual draft dodger. But there is evidence that at one point he was exploring ways in which he could avoid the draft, because he did ask his doctor if a back condition he was suffering from could make him ineligible for the draft. I honestly don’t see that that’s such a bad thing.

One thing I want to add about world hatred towards the United States:

I don’t think its as bad as it seems in Europe. Certainly, going to war in Iraq without the support of the Western world was not a preferable option, and maybe the result of inpatience and reluctance to share money-making contracts with our allies. But, the way things are turning out, it seems that what France did was a mistake. Germany is already making diplomatic overtures to us and Britain, and it if wasn’t for a certain part of the electorate that Schroeder was trying to appeal to he probably would have supported the war.

However, when we’re talking about the Mideast and the Third World in general, the war in Iraq has inflated hatred of the U.S. more than any of us wants to acknowledge.

The war on Iraq has not been regarded kindly here in Sweden, and the gist of the peace prize is that it’s supposed to go to people who have fought, preferably peacefully, risking their own lives for the greater good, like Nelson Mandela of South Africa. If Blair and/or Bush get the prize, heads will roll from the jury seats.

I move that we leave draft evasion out of this, given that some people don’t like any kind of war, and therefore draft-dodging and such would be in their favor.

I agree Yar. I wasn’t basing my past posts in this thread on it either. The statement I made before about Gore was based on what I’ve seen of him and how I think one of his attitude would act, not him personally.

The immediate Democratic response to September 11 would have been essentially the same.

Originally posted by Curtis
The immediate Democratic response to September 11 would have been essentially the same.

Yeah, I think that any good politician from just about any of the parties would have reacted the same.

Start a war and win a prize? I… no… wait?

Warmongering George W. Bush nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize?

War is Peace.

Originally posted by Cybercompost
(Bush got nearly a 1300 on his SATs, he isn’t stupid- he just uses his “stupidity” as a self-marketing strategy- which means he’s JUST dishonest -_-).

Ignorance is Strength

“Democratization” of Iraq involves armed soldiers patrolling the city streets and the conquering nation appointing (not electing) officials to run the country, supposedly in the interim (lets see how long this “interim” ends up lasting) while they decide on a new government, meanwhile the people of Iraq get essentially no say in their affairs beyond resistance via carbomb?

Freedom is Slavery.

Yay for the modern world! We finally made it! :smiley:

20 years late, tsk tsk.

Originally posted by Curtis

Could you explain more? You mean that the Democrats would actually go on a terrorism soapbox too?