Brain Eating Amoebas

What I want to know is what these amoebas normally feed on :[

Bacteria and algae…unless you snort them. Then they can eat your brains.

That tapeworm episode was awesome. :smiley:

BRAIIINS

I saw the tapeworm episode, that was neat :D. And I don’t know what Naegleria normally grows in. I suspect birds from its name. They probably also have some kind of water-viable stage too.

Well that’s just great! On that note, one day my brother found a worm in a raisin box(I didn’t do it, I swear!). I’ll never eat, or look at, raisins the same way again. If you’re eating some now, you’ve been warned.:mwahaha:

Haven’t you ever heard of a worm-that-walks? It’s a thousand tiny worms bound together in the shambling form of a man by the undying will of a dark sorceror too hateful to let even death’s icy grip take his spirit from this earth, so it lives on in a body as misshapen and horrific as his evil heart.

The article was about rebels or something about the effects of rebel groups on the people. I remember a part in the article that described people who were forced to march from their village being infected somehow. They would endure the worm until they could cut it out, wind out the worm on a branch and then set it on fire.

I looked in some old copies I still have around the house. I couldn’t find that issue but the closest I could find was a parasite article mentioning guinea worms.

You’re right about the guinea worm for everything except the walking around part. The female releases the eggs from the sore when she gets into water. It is also soothing to place the affected sore in water. You need to ingest the copepod of the guinea worm from infected water. Killing the worm while its still in your body will lead to a lethal inflammatory reaction. You need to cut it out and pull it out carefully.

I think you have some of the details confused. The worm that digs under your skin is Ancylostoma and it gives you cutaneous larval migrans. Humans aren’t the defenitive host for Ancylostoma so the worm looks for where it needs to go but gets lost and so people see them slide around under their skin. And yes you do get this sucker in South America. You don’t need to remove him with a stick (drugs) though it wouldn’t surprise me people would roll them out. They’re nowhere near as dramatic as the guinea worm.

I told my roomate about this and he says there’s this fungus that grows that kills ants that does something similair. I’s pretty freaky. Check it out:Exploding Ant Brains!!!

Oh god not the ant fungus again. :frowning:

I hate that fungus so much.

You kiddin’ me? I think that thing is cool.